AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Monahan
- does not fit the skating profile the Avs generally target
- does not seem to have the underlying metrics that the Avs target
- is often injured/hurt which limits his effectiveness even if it doesn't keep him off the ice
Avs current management
- Rarely targets higher end rentals
- I don't think has ever risked a 1st at the deadline, even in conditions
- Likely see Landeskog, Byram, and Manson as their primary TDL acquisitions

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The insistence that a 25 game sample has brought him back to the same value as his 20-25 year old seasons where he looked like he was on the cusp of becoming a #1C is right up there with the assertion that he is a physical two way centre.

It's not a far reach cause his skating was much better with the Habs in those 25 games. Skating that was holding him back in the last two seasons with the Flames.

You're purposely connecting it to him being exactly the same as his age 20-25 years. That's disingenuous. His 25 games was closer to the age 20-25 years vs the last two seasons with the Flames. I don't believe he was on the cusp of becoming a 1C back then either.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It's not a far reach cause his skating was much better with the Habs in those 25 games. Skating that was holding him back in the last two seasons with the Flames.

You're purposely connecting it to him being exactly the same as his age 20-25 years. That's disingenuous. His 25 games was closer to the age 20-25 years vs the last two seasons with the Flames. I don't believe he was on the cusp of becoming a 1C back then either.
He was leading his draft class in scoring until MacKinnon took it to the next level. He will never regain the same value he had when he was 20-25 but believe what you want.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If the Habs get a first for a guy who has averaged 8 goals for the last three seasons and prone to injury...good on them. The other GM should be fired. Either Habs fans are completely delusional or I am. We will find out soon enough. For the record, I said the Chariot trade was ridiculous the moment it got announced. So I guess there's a chance.
The difference is that "Chiarot will fetch a first" was plastered everywhere before the trade happened, AND, the info came from people generally in the know.

There's no such thing about Monahan.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The difference is that "Chiarot will fetch a first" was plastered everywhere before the trade happened, AND, the info came from people generally in the know.

There's no such thing about Monahan.
Fair enough. But it is plastered all over that the Avs are after Monahan.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He was leading his draft class in scoring until MacKinnon took it to the next level. He will never regain the same value he had when he was 20-25 but believe what you want.
The reference to 20-25 is to show that when healthy, he's a high-end forward. Maybe not a #1, but can play #1 RW or #2C. I'd argue that healthy, he's as good as Horvat. They even have similar numbers for their best years.

Of course, given the last few years I don't think any Habs fans are expecting a Horvat-type return. A conditional pick going from 3d to 1st based on games played seems to make sense to many of us. I was hoping, 36 pages ago, to find reasonable fans discuss how this could be done with the Avs lacking picks in the next 2 years.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm not pretending he will be definitely healthy come deadline or after the All Star Break so you can spare me with that narrative. I'm hoping he will be. It's difficult to know if the Habs are being conservative with his recovery or if he is dealing with lingering issues. We can only speculate. You speculating he won't be is not that much different than some Habs fans saying he will. Fair is fair... remember my two way street narrative I brought up last week?

It's literally the only outcome you've been willing to entertain for the last 700+ posts in this thread, so you'll have to excuse me if your latest attempt to gaslight doesn't change my opinion of what you're doing.

Neither will your attempts to build strawmen. I'm not speculating that he won't be healthy. I'm stating that, as of today, he's not healthy and we don't know if/when he might get healthy, nor is he really that much of an upgrade over the players the Avs already have. On top of that, the Avs don't even have what you'd want for him at a reasonable value (aka a 3rd). Therefore, I'm questioning why we need a soon to be 900+ post thread laughably linking him to the Avs based solely on a Lebrun fever dream, with like half the posts being about what Habs fans believe Monahan could be worth to another team if he could actually get healthy.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I'd trade Monahan the instant a team offers a 2nd round pick.
If the only offer Habs get is a 2nd rounder than they should look at prospects instead. A low 2nd rd pick isn't going to be that helpful.

A guy who's 20, heading into the AHL / turning pro.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He played like he did from his age 20-25 years and he's not some 30+ player in decline.

You need to stop making this absurd claim.

During his 20-25 years he hit 30 goals three times and had 27 goals twice. He was nowhere near that kind of player from Montreal. Not even remotely close. By far his biggest strength, in his 20-25 years, was his goal scoring... and he had six goals in 25 games for Montreal.

At age 24, he scored 82 points. Its ridiculous you keep pretending that this is somehow the level he was performing and producing in Montreal.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Well, it seems to pop up pretty often. Maybe it's the same info being re-circulated.

I've seen probably 10 different articles, including from some Avs centric hockey writers, but every single one of them referenced Lebrun's pure, baseless speculation as the alleged "source" for the rumor. None of this is credible, it's just hack hockey writers trying to drum up revenue by posting clickbait articles.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So would I.

I have said since the beginning of this thread, I would be ecstatic with a 2nd rounder for him, but I think it's unlikely.
Well, GMs calling around will have a decent idea of supply/demand. If Monahan seems to be a plan B for Colorado and no one else is even nibbling, you take that 2nd and move along.

If a lot of GMs are calling and showing real interest (even as plan B or C) maybe you wait and see if better offers show up.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If the Habs get a first for a guy who has averaged 8 goals for the last three seasons and prone to injury...good on them. The other GM should be fired. Either Habs fans are completely delusional or I am. We will find out soon enough. For the record, I said the Chariot trade was ridiculous the moment it got announced. So I guess there's a chance.

Pay attention to the thread. It's not "Habs fans" making this absurd claim, it's literally two guys that are Canadiens fans that keep making ridiculous claims about Monahan and his value. There are also several Habs fans, myself included, calling this out as outrageously misinformed. Don't paint the whole fanbase with the same brush, you're seeing the vocal minority of the lunatic fringe pretending he's a two-way centre who could land the team a 1st round pick.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Pay attention to the thread. It's not "Habs fans" making this absurd claim, it's literally two guys that are Canadiens fans that keep making ridiculous claims about Monahan and his value. There are also several Habs fans, myself included, calling this out as outrageously misinformed. Don't paint the whole fanbase with the same brush, you're seeing the vocal minority of the lunatic fringe pretending he's a two-way centre who could land the team a 1st round pick.
OTOH, it's fans of multiple teams who have reading comprehension issues and don't understand big words like "conditional" and rage-post when they see anything relating to a first round pick.

I mean, Vancouver just acquired a conditional* 1st overall pick for Horvat, who expected that ?

*: conditional to NYI having a pick in the top-12 and ceding their 2024 pick instead, and gaining 1st OA in next years lottery.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Oddly enough, it's most of the same lunatic fringe from all the Price to the Avs threads.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough. But it is plastered all over that the Avs are after Monahan.

No it's not and I have a hard time believing that you think it is.

There was one report, from Pierre LeBrun, that made no claim to have come from anyone other than himself, suggesting that Colorado might be someone to keep an eye on with Monahan because they don't have the picks or prospects to be in the mix for some of the higher end pieces that will be out there.

And then a few blogs run by Canadiens fans parroted this same report. That's it. No actual insider, reporter or journalists has ever claimed the Avalanche were after him - including LeBrun. LeBrun did not say the Avalanche are after him, he just pointed out the circumstances of Monahan's price tag and the Avalanches' assets as a possible fit.

OTOH, it's fans of multiple teams who have reading comprehension issues and don't understand big words like "conditional" and rage-post when they see anything relating to a first round pick.

I mean, Vancouver just acquired a conditional* 1st overall pick for Horvat, who expected that ?

*: conditional to NYI having a pick in the top-12 and ceding their 2024 pick instead, and gaining 1st OA in next years lottery.

You keep beating this drum, but nobody is having a hard time understanding conditional.

What they are doing is rejecting that idea that there could possibly be any condition that Monahan would become worth a 1st rounder.

You seem to be the only person that is struggling to understand the issue with the "Conditional fist rounder" scenario.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Oddly enough, it's most of the same lunatic fringe from all the Price to the Avs threads.

Nothing odd about it.

Every team seems to have that little section of their fandom that have their face painted and wave their pom poms and have a hard time separating their undying loyalty as fans from basic common sense.

If you actually go into the Canadiens forum, I assure you, there aren't fans their expecting Monahan to return a 1st round draft pick nor were their fans that thought Price and his $10 million contract was somehow an enticing piece for any team to acquire.

The lunatic part of lunatic fringe is a key word.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You need to stop making this absurd claim.

During his 20-25 years he hit 30 goals three times and had 27 goals twice. He was nowhere near that kind of player from Montreal. Not even remotely close. By far his biggest strength, in his 20-25 years, was his goal scoring... and he had six goals in 25 games for Montreal.

At age 24, he scored 82 points. Its ridiculous you keep pretending that this is somehow the level he was performing and producing in Montreal.

Stop telling others to stop. You don't agree and that's fine. Not reading the rest based on how you started our 1st line.

It's similar to his age 20-25 years, not the exact same. It's never the same and even each of his age 20-25 season were not the same. Disinengeous spin in an attempt to belittle. You can take your "ridiculous" narrative and shove it where the sun don't shine

His 25 games was closer to his age 20-25 years vs his last two with the Flames. It's not hard to comprehend but you are in denial mode. Middle ground is impossible on HF boards. It has to be an extreme narrative at one other vs the other and that's the stupid part. That's your game, not mine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad