LeBrun: Monahan linked to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So apparently Lebrun has linked Sean Monahan to Colorado, and it does make sense as a rental #2 center. Colorado is likely very familiar with Monahan since he's spent more of his career in their conference.

I'm assuming:
-50% retention
-Monahan gets enough games in before the deadline to reassure everyone that he's healthy (though ongoing injury risk is a legit concern).
-Colorado plays well enough that their playoff status doesn't seem to be in doubt.

I'm wondering, what would Colorado offer ? They have no 2nd rounders for the next 2 years, so going for a "conditional pick" approach where the pick goes up in value depending on Monahan staying healthy becomes harder to figure out.

Thoughts ?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
So apparently Lebrun has linked Sean Monahan to Colorado, and it does make sense as a rental #2 center. Colorado is likely very familiar with Monahan since he's spent more of his career in their conference.

I'm assuming:
-50% retention
-Monahan gets enough games in before the deadline to reassure everyone that he's healthy (though ongoing injury risk is a legit concern).
-Colorado plays well enough that their playoff status doesn't seem to be in doubt.

I'm wondering, what would Colorado offer ? They have no 2nd rounders for the next 2 years, so going for a "conditional pick" approach where the pick goes up in value depending on Monahan staying healthy becomes harder to figure out.

Thoughts ?

The first article simply references the second. And the second is not a rumor or link, it's a fantasy speculative fit article. Using the term "linked" is deliberately deceptive. It might happen, but this is not a rumor or an actual link, it's just a dude's trade proposal.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Colorado had hardly any picks to offer this year. What about something like...

Monahan @50% + 3rd and 4th round pick for Colorado 1st unprotected? They get two picks back to help restock the cupboard a bit.

If they want to keep that first, they don't really have any draft capital until 2025. So if not the first proposal what about...

Monahan @50% for Col 2025 1st (top 16 protection)?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Monahan @50% + 3rd and 4th round pick for Colorado 1st unprotected? They get two picks back to help restock the cupboard a bit.

If they want to keep that first, they don't really have any draft capital until 2025. So if not the first proposal what about...

No thanks.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Wow: restock the prospect pool by trading away an unprotected 1st. Mtl fans getting griddy.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

I'd think something like Monahan for a conditional 1st/2nd/3d and a 4th.
The 4th is for retention.
The conditional pick depends on how many games Monahan plays.... the exact conditions would be hard to pin down but I think there's potential in this framing. And with everyone on "Bedard watch", I don't think anyone will make the same mistake Florida made when dealing an unprotected 1st.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Wow: restock the prospect pool by trading away an unprotected 1st. Mtl fans getting griddy.
By restock I was talking about their young prospect depth. They won't be drafting many players in the next three years. Two lesser pick plus a 2C for one better pick helps to give them some youth.

I don't know what griddy means, but I saw someone do that dance in sports. Don't get it.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Calgary gave you guys a 1st to take him for free, and he lasted a whole 25 games before he got hurt, and you think he's now worth a 1st? :huh:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Calgary gave you guys a 1st to take him for free, and he lasted a whole 25 games before he got hurt, and you think he's now worth a 1st? :huh:
Your point is well taken. The injury concern is obviously huge. When he has been in the lineup for us, he has absolutely been a very solid addition.

He has been good enough, that unless it is a 1st, I'm not so sure it makes sense for us. He could come back next year, sign a sweet 3-4 million dollar deal with some moderate term, and earn every single dollar. Or he could get injured again. Whatever risk you feel is appropriate, but my value is not that far off.

• Haha
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We took on the cap-hit and lost flexibility, the risk seems to pay off since his hip issues seem resolved and his foot issue is unrelated. That being said, there,s a reason I'm suggesting a conditional deal. If he gets hurt again and doesn't contribute much, Colorado won't have given up much, either.

was he not just put on LTIR?
Yes, but he could be back in a week, I think he was put on LTIR retroactively back to when he got injured. If he'd come back faster, he'd never have needed LTIR. Keep in mind my assumptions in the original post.

Reactions: YP44

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The first article simply references the second. And the second is not a rumor or link, it's a fantasy speculative fit article. Using the term "linked" is deliberately deceptive. It might happen, but this is not a rumor or an actual link, it's just a dude's trade proposal.
Fair enough. It's still informed speculation, though.

Reactions: Devonator

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I like how the link doesn't even go directly to LeBrun...

Nowhere in this thread is there an actual quote or link to LeBrun linking the Avs to Monahan...

Anyway. The Avs will be aiming quite a bit higher then Monahan.

They also aren't going to move a 1st round pick for a rental. They've never done such a thing. They target guys who will give them more then 1 playoff run similar to how Tampa targets its deadline players.

Reactions: capazzo

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Your point is well taken. The injury concern is obviously huge. When he has been in the lineup for us, he has absolutely been a very solid addition.

He has been good enough, that unless it is a 1st, I'm not so sure it makes sense for us. He could come back next year, sign a sweet 3-4 million dollar deal with some moderate term, and earn every single dollar. Or he could get injured again. Whatever risk you feel is appropriate, but my value is not that far off.

If the asking price includes a 1st, then your value is far off for a guy who realistically is more of a 3C on any team hoping to contend. Best I'd offer would be a 3rd, and if that doesn't get it done, oh well.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I would not mind bringing in Monahan for the right price, but for him, it can not be a first. You either package that up for a stronger player with a little more term left, or you hang onto it because your prospect pool is Olausson and a bunch of tumbleweeds

Reactions: capazzo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I'm assuming:
-50% retention

Thoughts ?
I was thinking other day Habs might keep Monahan on LTIR and rent out his caphit. Caproom at a premium this deadline. Many teams up against it

I would guess a 2nd rounder back to Montreal 50% retained? Habs could rent out his other 3.25m caphit. But Monahan's whole 6.5m caphit right now would bring a lot.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I like how the link doesn't even go directly to LeBrun...

Nowhere in this thread is there an actual quote or link to LeBrun linking the Avs to Monahan...

Anyway. The Avs will be aiming quite a bit higher then Monahan.

They also aren't going to move a 1st round pick for a rental. They've never done such a thing. They target guys who will give them more then 1 playoff run similar to how Tampa targets its deadline players.
I don’t think many Canadiens fans expect a 1st for monahan for what’s it’s worth. More likely a backup plan for Colorado if horvat falls through. I think it’d be a second with conditions to be a 1st if they win

Reactions: zeeto and Vachon23

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hard to buy Monahan getting a 1st in any form with Horvat and O'Reilly, 22-23 stats be damned, potentially out there. Toews may be more attractive to some clubs too.

It's just as likely to be someone with term. Last year when Sakic made the trade for Lehkonen, he emphasized the importance of Lehkonen being a RFA so he can keep him beyond one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad