LeBrun: Monahan linked to COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
You’ll be very lucky to get a conditional 3rd that turns into a second based on playoff games played (at least three rounds of them).

You’re trying to trade an injury prone player that’s currently recovering from a major injury that made him miss the last 25 games and go on LTIR.

His Jfresh card is terrible. He’s a so so 3C.
Ok book mark this. If he does get traded he will get more than a 3rd. Least a second minimum or a good prospect.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I've suggested that, but Avs fans have preferred to keep on losing it over the very mention of a 1st.
I feel like both sides should stop lose any sleep over this. I highly doubt monahan is the piece for the Avs to win another cup and I doubt Montreal needs his return for their rebuild. Most fans treat their first like their first born, even teams who can win it all like the Avs.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
A pick that can turn into a second, not a pick that can turn into a first
Well, I suggested a 3d that turns into a 2nd, and can later turn into a first. And heck, I'll add to it - it can turn into multiple firsts. I mean, why not, if Monahan scores hat tricks in every SCF game?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Wow, that mention of a 1st really lives rent-free in your head.

I wonder how Isles fans feel about giving up a conditional 1st overall, they must be going nuts.
The 2024 draft doesn’t look great. Could be a meh player like Slafkovsky that goes mid teens in the 2023 draft.

But the NYi don’t look like a bad team that will suck in 2023 or 2024. Likely they gave up a mid teens pick for a high end 2C in his late Prime on pace to score 45 goals or more.

I can definitely see this happening.
I’d trade Shane Bowers for Monahan. Sure. Montreal gets their first round pick. Done.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Well, I suggested a 3d that turns into a 2nd, and can later turn into a first. And heck, I'll add to it - it can turn into multiple firsts. I mean, why not, if Monahan scores hat tricks in every SCF game?

Because it's unreasonable, bordering on outlandish, to expect a NHL GM to agree to those conditions.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ok book mark this. If he does get traded he will get more than a 3rd. Least a second minimum or a good prospect.
I could see it being a 3rd that becomes a conditional 2nd.

If he’s moved for a prospect, it will be a B prospect like Sean Farrell level.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Winning a cup doesn’t mean assets should be given away for free. That seems more like what a fan would do. Adding that upside condition has a value/price.
I can see the Nils Lundkvist comps already. Ryan Suzuki, as an example, was drafted in a similar spot and traded at a similar point. Therefore, we got 1st round pick value.
Avs traded away the rights to a first round bust that went unsigned and the yotes got a 2nd round pick back. I believe in the boedeker deal. I can see that happening.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Winning a cup doesn’t mean assets should be given away for free. That seems more like what a fan would do. Adding that upside condition has a value/price.

The idea of a conditional deal is to split the risk.
And no, the hat-trick dependent 1st wasn't a serious proposal. It's just my reaction to fans focusing on the very mention of a first regardless of anything else.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The idea of a conditional deal is to split the risk.
And no, the hat-trick dependent 1st wasn't a serious proposal. It's just my reaction to fans focusing on the very mention of a first regardless of anything else.
I think most Avs fans want someone else for a first. If Monahan gets even the conditional first, it ties that asset up this TDL. Kind of counter productive unless the team feels he is the best add during this deadline.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Stop telling others to stop. You don't agree and that's fine. Not reading the rest based on how you started our 1st line.

It's similar to his age 20-25 years, not the exact same. It's never the same and even each of his age 20-25 season were not the same. Disinengeous spin in an attempt to belittle. You can take your "ridiculous" narrative and shove it where the sun don't shine

His 25 games was closer to his age 20-25 years vs his last two with the Flames. It's not hard to comprehend but you are in denial mode. Middle ground is impossible on HF boards. It has to be an extreme narrative at one other vs the other and that's the stupid part. That's your game, not mine
Nobody needs to stop anything.

This is a legendary thread reminiscent of the "Paul Stastny-Guillaume Latendresse" rookie debate thread of 2006 in terms of overall LOLs.

You guys sure took us to the cleaners on that one. :sarcasm:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think most Avs fans want someone else for a first. If Monahan gets even the conditional first, it ties that asset up this TDL. Kind of counter productive unless the team feels he is the best add during this deadline.
Not wanting to tie up an asset, just like being aware of cap limits and not being interested in tying up a 1st (even a conditional one), or not maxing out the cap with Monahan, are probably the most interesting new points in this entire thread.

Unless the Avs really see Monahan as the single addition they want to make, it makes a deal unlikely. It means a deal has to be both limited to lesser assets, and potentially go through a 3d party to skim off an added 25% of Monahan's cap. Which means it can't be a last-minute hail-mary 15 minutes before the deadline since this kind of setup takes time to organize. It's also to the Habs advantage to set this up early so they can weaponize the freed up cap room after dealing Monahan.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
the trade value for Monahan was always contingent on his health and playing time. He has been shut down again for the last 10 days and the Habs aren't talking. There may be an update later in the week, but as of now, no one knows what's going on but it can't be good with the cone of silence. I suspect but have 0 proof, it may be a hip issue again.
I think he won't get very much at the trade deadline so habs may elect to sign him for another year.
Hughes will try to move Edmundson and some others instead

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The funniest part in all of this is the delusion of thinking Monahan was worth a 1st a month ago.

That sentiment alone just makes everything else laughable.

The funny part is how you didn't comprehend what was said well so your laughing at your own delusional narrative in the end. :loony:

A possible 1st is not a guaranteed 1st. A bunch of you are getting caught in a knot about it and trying to use it as belittle context. Cool story bro.

It's not complicated. We have to wait to see if he gets back playing before the deadline and we go from there. It likely don't matter to you and we get that but do we care? Not really. Keep laughing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A pick that can turn into a second, not a pick that can turn into a first

Depending on what Monahan says, we might consider extending him in the 1-3 year range if the AAV is something we think it fair. Depends on what is offered to us as we approach the deadline. If GM's are devaluing him with offers like a 3rd or 4th, we would value him on our roster more. Gullible based on 25 games? I don't consider that a fluke cause he was skating very well and similar to his age 20-25 years. Watch some fans think that I think it's exactly the same now. Wish those belittle nit picking fans would go away.

But first, he has to get back playing again. I feel I need to repeat myself due to how some people are comprehending things.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
the trade value for Monahan was always contingent on his health and playing time. He has been shut down again for the last 10 days and the Habs aren't talking. There may be an update later in the week, but as of now, no one knows what's going on but it can't be good with the cone of silence. I suspect but have 0 proof, it may be a hip issue again.
I think he won't get very much at the trade deadline so habs may elect to sign him for another year.
Hughes will try to move Edmundson and some others instead
Heck, we might be in a Price/Monahan situation.... Price didn't announce he was sitting out the season long before the Habs traded for Monahan, instantly weaponizing that capspace. If Monahan's hip has flared up and he has to sit out the rest of the season, it means Montreal has the ability to absorb something like 7M in expiring contracts.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The funny part is how you didn't comprehend what was said well so your laughing at your own delusional narrative in the end. :loony:

A possible 1st is not a guaranteed 1st. A bunch of you are getting caught in a knot about it and trying to use it as belittle context. Cool story bro.

It's not complicated. We have to wait to see if he gets back playing before the deadline and we go from there. It likely don't matter to you and we get that but do we care? Not really. Keep laughing

Nope, literally half this thread is littered with Montreal fans claiming "Before his injury he was easily worth a 1st, now that he's hurt its only a possibility"

That is literal garbage being spewed. Monahan has NEVER been worth a 1st, except in the fact it actually cost Calgary a 1st to dump him. It has always been pure delusion by anyone who legitimately thought Monahan was worth a 1st. He was a 1st round pick cap dump 6 months ago for f***s sake.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
To be honest, at this rate, Monahan would be lucky to get back a conditional 4th with his injury issues
..in. which case, it would be best for him to sign for a year or two in Montreal to show he can stay healthy, since he won't be getting a UFA payday anyways.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
..in. which case, it would be best for him to sign for a year or two in Montreal to show he can stay healthy, since he won't be getting a UFA payday anyways.
Probably yeah, if he's amenable. Monahan's best bet is to sign a short contract somewhere where he can get a lot of opportunity. If not Montreal, I could see Columbus in the summer.

But his injury history is concerning, particularly the hips and the wrists. So much so that, and I've said this before a long while ago, that I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up retiring in a couple of years because of it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

You're assuming Monahan wants to stay in Montreal. Maybe he doesn't at all. Just because some Montreal media says he wants to means literally nothing as we've gathered from all the other nonsense they've suggested in the thread.

Or... The even more likely scenario at this point is that Monahan actually shows he cant stay healthy at all.

Montreal getting a 3rd round pick(I do think he gets at least a 3rd assuming he's not done for the year) for Monahan this summer could be deemed to be more valuable to them then risking him either A) Not re-signing and just leaving as a free agent in the summer, or B) Signing a 1 year deal and then being injured for the majority of next year yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad