Dreger: (Mod warning post 661) Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st and to visit teams startin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I think the context matters though.

The reason he (might be...I don't put much stock into what Dreger says) forced to go this route is because he was the 4th guy to sign. The Leafs are now in a bad situation cap wise and as a result are forced to nickel and dime a bit more. Simply making them sweat at this point like Nylander did might not work as well.
He was also the 4th guy to sign because he (and his agent) refused to negotiate during the season. Supposedly (according to both Dubas and Ferris) they were close before the season started but couldn't finalize, and by the request the Marner's camp, they held no negotiations until the end of the season. He didn't need to be the 4th guy to sign, and I'm sure Dubas hoped he wouldn't be the 4th to sign.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Marner would be a leaf for life, Mathews is gone in 5 years, if push comes to shove why are they not keeping the local kid who loves the leafs over the guy trying to get back to merica as fast as he can
Centre vs Wing. Always keep the Centre.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
He was also the 4th guy to sign because he (and his agent) refused to negotiate during the season. Supposedly (according to both Dubas and Ferris) they were close before the season started but couldn't finalize, and by the request the Marner's camp, they held no negotiations until the end of the season. He didn't need to be the 4th guy to sign, and I'm sure Dubas hoped he wouldn't be the 4th to sign.

It wouldn't have made any sense for him to sign before the season. They had just signed Tavares and he was gonna put up a career year numbers wise as a result, why sign when your value is only going up.

I'm sure if Dubas had handed him a blank check like he did Matthews, Marner would have signed during the year.

Reactions: DRW204

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
The world Leafs fans live in where Marner isn't as equally valuable as injury plagued Matthews blows my mind.

Only 2 things matter in hockey:
A) Scoring goals
B) Preventing them

Leafs fans ( who watch Marner play exponentially more than anyone else) know that Mitch is a great hockey player, but he isn't particularly good at either of those things. Matthews is top 5 in the league at one of them and that is why he gets the big bucks. Marner is extremely talented and deserves 9+, but there is no precedent that he should get 10+ yet. Whether he will get that much is another story.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If this is true trade his ass. Love the kid but enough is enough, dubas better have learned and get a back bone.

This wouldnt be just about marner, this would be the leafs putting everything else on hold because this needs to be resolved 1st. Kap, Johnson, other ufa, any trade idea to improve defence...like nylander situation, it hurts the leafs because they have to put everything else on hold.

If this is him using as leverage then just let him go play with a tavares or a Matthew's on another team... bye

Reactions: Kiwi

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why do people think he will only get around ~10 AAV?

He's better than Matthews. Or at worst at his level. Matthews just got nearly 12 on a deal that buys only 1 of his UFA years. If Marner has an agent with half a brain the least he should take is around ~11 AAV and that's without giving up a single UFA year. Only reason i can think of why he would accept to anything less than 11 is that he absolutely loves to play in Toronto and doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm beginning to wonder if we are better off with:
A. Marner at 10-11 million
B. The assets from trade we'd get by trading him
C. The 4 1st rounders we'd get via offersheet+the cap saved from not signing Marner

I love Marner, but if he's going to be talking about 11? Check out the market Dubas.

B and C depend on if you can get either Panarin or Skinner to sign.

If you can then that's fine because then you have whatever you get for Marner plus either Skinner or Panarin .

If yiu can't you just have a hole

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ferris would have been very naive to sign in-season. Marner was poised for an outstanding year with JT as his linemate (significant upgrade over Bozak/Kadri), and he delivered to the tune of 94 pts

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If this is true trade his ass. Love the kid but enough is enough, dubas better have learned and get a back bone.

This wouldnt be just about marner, this would be the leafs putting everything else on hold because this needs to be resolved 1st. Kap, Johnson, other ufa, any trade idea to improve defence...like nylander situation, it hurts the leafs because they have to put everything else on hold.

If this is him using as leverage then just let him go play with a tavares or a Matthew's on another team... bye

*Skips off to Colorado to play with MacKinnnon and Rantanen while TOR gets four 25 - 31 draft picks.*

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
B and C depend on if you can get either Panarin or Skinner to sign.

If you can then that's fine because then you have whatever you get for Marner plus either Skinner or Panarin .

If yiu can't you just have a hole
Lol...imagine trading Marner for a young top 4 D then signing Panarin....

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He's better than Matthews. Or at worst at his level. Matthews just got nearly 12 on a deal that buys only 1 of his UFA years. If Marner has an agent with half a brain the least he should take is around ~11 AAV and that's without giving up a single UFA year. Only reason i can think of why he would accept to anything less than 11 is that he absolutely loves to play in Toronto and doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Nah.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Based on potential, Matthews still can be way better. I don't like Matthews contract, I don't think that Marner is worth that either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's quiet simple.

- If Mitch Marner and his camp are intentionally bringing negotiations to June 26th and beyond, Kyle Dubas has no choice but to look at the trade route, and if he finds a deal worth taking, using that as pressure on the Marner camp.
- If there is an offer sheet, and the compensation is less than the 4 firsts, Toronto will be matching.
- If there is an offer sheet, and the compensation is the 4 firsts, Toronto very well may walk away, and go to the trade market with 8 first rounders over the next 4 seasons.

At the end of the day, I think everyone can agree Toronto is better with Mitch Marner and Mitch Marner is better with Toronto.

However, if the Marner camp believes they can push Toronto against the wall, because they think there would be enormous backlash if Marner is traded or not signed, they need to reevaluate. Most Leaf fans are over all this contract crap, and Derren Ferris/Paul Marner's mouthpiece Dreger just indicated they are intentionally bringing negotiations to a certain point.

So yeah, at this point, Marner's camp just making themselves look bad to the fanbase, and just giving Dubas support in terms of looking at the trade market.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
*Skips off to Colorado to play with MacKinnnon and Rantanen while TOR gets four 25 - 31 draft picks.*

You're saying this as if Rantanen, and eventually Makar, won't be seeing a big payday in the near future and are willing to play for peanuts?... Funny how this cap crunch (which will only last another year) only affects the Leafs, and no other teams with their pending RFA star players?

HF Boredz logic at it's finest.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad