Dreger: (Mod warning post 661) Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st and to visit teams startin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

No surprise, it’s contract leverage Marner & his agent are trying to bend Dubas over for max deal they can get pre July.....if Dubas lowballs then Marner waits till July. It would be dumb of Marner to just sign before July just bc.....use it for leverage to get max deal from Leafs. I said before the season ended Marner shouldn’t sign pre July barring a competitive contract to what he would get after July 1st from another team. Just logical and good business from Marner. The question is what is the magic number Dubas needs to offer to get him to sign pre July........the number is going to be higher then the Leafs want and he could become the highest or very close paid winger soon.

Reactions: Tripod

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We can and will sign all of them!

The reality is there is ZERO way he signs for less than $10.5 M per year long term. Why would he unless offer sheets are fixed and don’t really happen? AT that price, it’s 2 1sts and a 2nd and a 3rd. Who wouldn’t give up that little for Marner. I wouldn’t even care if lottery protected and it’s not — you are getting a lottery player.
10.5 at anything over 5 years is 4 1sts. If someone wants to pay him 10.5 to take him to free agency at 26 they can but I have a hard time seeing that. The compensation would end up being 4 1sts.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I can see a team throwing a 5 year deal @ 10,568,589 per (Max for two 1sts, and 2nd, and a 3rd) that walks him to UFA. If Toronto matches then they WILL lose Johnsson or Kapanen.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Leafs have a lot of things they need to get done this offseason and if Marner drags his feet, he will take the whole team down with him.

If I'm Dubas (and I'm not), I'd tell Marner that his deadline is the draft and after that I'd look to trade him.
That is 100% the play here. You present the best offer say it isnt changing and if we dont have an offer by the draft we are looking to trade.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
FAKE NEWS, WOW !!!!

all the maple leaf fans told us he would sign for 9.5M IN TORONTO BECAUSE HE WAS A TORONTO BOY !!!!!!!! why can't he be like Tavares SMFH
As a Maple Leaf fan, and I think I speak for many of us when I say, who are you and when did I tell you anything?

Reactions: binop7

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
That is 100% the play here. You present the best offer say it isnt changing and if we dont have an offer by the draft we are looking to trade.

That's fine by the rest of the league. The cost will be cheaper than 4 1sts that's for sure; especially with the Leaf's in a terrible negotiating position.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not fake news, but a game of chicken to be sure. Marner and his agent know what they’re worth in this market and won’t be nickel and dimed for less.

Dubas caved with Nylander, that won’t have escaped Marner’s notice.
Dubas waited until Nylander's camp called to make a deal with 20 minutes left in the deadline. Framing that as him caving out of weakness is not exactly the most accurate.

As for Marner's worth, it's definitely not 10 million

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Marner would be foolish to not at least listen and see if any other offers come through. However unlikely an offer sheet is he may as well wait a couple extra days just to see if something comes along

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That's fine by the rest of the league. The cost will be cheaper than 4 1sts that's for sure; especially with the Leaf's in a terrible negotiating position.
You think there wont be a lot of teams that want Marner? Lol if anyone thinks he would come cheap if he ended up on the market. Teams would be lining up let's not get stupid here.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Dubas waited until Nylander's camp called to make a deal with 20 minutes left in the deadline. Framing that as him caving out of weakness is not exactly the most accurate.

As for Marner's worth, it's definitely not 10 million

The world Leafs fans live in where Marner isn't as equally valuable as injury plagued Matthews blows my mind.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You think there wont be a lot of teams that want Marner? Lol if anyone thinks he would come cheap if he ended up on the market. Teams would be lining up let's not get stupid here.

Yeah and also everyone would know the Leaf's have no choice but to trade him and the teams would also have to have the cap space to resign him.

The offers you'd get aren't as outlandish as you're thinking.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
would Marner even make as much money in a market such as Colorado with an AAV of 11 compared to an AAV of 9 in TO when you factor in endorsements and such?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Have to factor in a lot of teams won’t be able to trade for Marner straight up too because of his new contract he is demanding. Toronto won’t be able to take too much salary in a trade. That’s why teams will probably offer a large amount of futures and prospects.

Again, this is where fan bases will disagree on the type of prospects. I would have no issue with the flyers trying to make a splash.

I’d easily use the 11th overall and konency as starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad