Dreger: (Mod warning post 661) Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st and to visit teams startin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
Not great if true, but did he say what he was basing this off of, or is this Dreger's patented baseless speculation motivated by a desire to generate attention? From the OP it's not clear why Dreger "expects" the things he does.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Have to factor in a lot of teams won’t be able to trade for Marner straight up too because of his new contract he is demanding. Toronto won’t be able to take too much salary in a trade. That’s why teams will probably offer a large amount of futures and prospects.

Again, this is where fan bases will disagree on the type of prospects. I would have no issue with the flyers trying to make a splash.

I’d easily use the 11th overall and konency as starters.
Would you add Sanheim/Myers to that as well? Remember, any offer coming to the leafs should at least come close to the value of four mid first round picks

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Good for him. He should take full advantage of what's allowed and what he's worth.

That being said - I hope he doesn't end up being a dick to the leafs. He *does* owe them quite a bit - they drafted him, molded him and helped shape him into the player he becomes. It doesn't mean he should accept any offer of course - but if Leafs come back super aggressively and are within ~500k of an opposing team offer for example - i'd expect loyalty to prevail. But if some team is willing to offer sheet him for 12-13M$ per - more power to him and that team.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
wouldn't surprise me if Dreger is on Ferris' payroll

Marner/Ferris openly soliciting offersheets and interviewing with other teams..... if this actually came to fruition (i have to see it to believe it) i cant see this going over well at all in Toronto or the Leafs org/locker-room.

These guys (marner and his camp) might not even sign July 1 so all the UFA options like Panarin, Nyquist might be gone
Meh, I doubt it would impact the locker room that much. Matthews, Nylander, Tavares all got theirs, they can't be mad that Marner wants his and has to fight a bit harder because they came before him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good for him. He should take full advantage of what's allowed and what he's worth.

That being said - I hope he doesn't end up being a dick to the leafs. He *does* owe them quite a bit - they drafted him, molded him and helped shape him into the player he becomes. It doesn't mean he should accept any offer of course - but if Leafs come back super aggressively and are within ~500k of an opposing team offer for example - i'd expect loyalty to prevail. But if some team is willing to offer sheet him for 12-13M$ per - more power to him and that team.
In Ferris' eyes, it's the other way around...
Meh, I doubt it would impact the locker room that much. Matthews, Nylander, Tavares all got theirs, they can't be mad that Marner wants his and has to fight a bit harder because they came before him.

the open solicitation of offer-sheets & interviewing other teams? Tavares is a different case since he was a UFA that chose Toronto, but even Nylander didn't do/threaten that.... again, i doubt this will actually happen though. Just Dreger (Ferris) putting some threat out there

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In Ferris' eyes, it's the other way around...

Of course it is. That's his agent - it's his job to be 100% pro-player and anti-team, and to try to screw the team over for even 10k lol. No issue with that.

Typically players show some sense of loyalty though. And again - this doesn't mean Marner has to be loyal and accept 10 if he feels he's worth as much/more than Tavares/Matthews. I'm just saying if it gets to a point where the Leafs come with a strong offer - very close to an offer sheet - i'd expect him to accept.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Mitch travelling to meet with potential offer-sheet suitors is very different than holding out for what you think you're worth. I hate basing opinions on anything Dreger says, but if this is true, it's far beyond a holdout (e.g., Nylander), it's actively looking to leave for a better offer.

Reactions: DRW204

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Yeah and also everyone would know the Leaf's have no choice but to trade him and the teams would also have to have the cap space to resign him.

The offers you'd get aren't as outlandish as you're thinking.

So I guess Leafs management missed this clandestine meeting where the other 30 GM's agreed to conspire against them just to screw with their cap space?...This narrative is as stupid as that fat, plumber assed Flyer fan that fell face first into the penalty box trying to attack Tie Domi.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Making an aggressive offer is the last thing the leafs should do. Just let Marner come back down to earth and then start negotiating with him. Remember, Nylander was available to offersheet at the cost of a first, second, and third (an insanely cheap price considering most poeple's opinions of him then) for half a damn year, and not a single team threw one at him.

Nylander’s current deal would have bumped him up a bracket (it’s total divided by 5 years when its a 6 or 7 year deal), which would have then cost 2 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

"Let Marner come back down to earth"

Yes, because it's so ridiculous for Marner to ask for $10 million a year when Matthews just got $11.5 million.

Exactly. Marner outscored him by 21 points and they want him to take 2+ million less per year than him? They needed to have worked the extensions simultaneously. Now Marner has no reason not to ask for the same deal.

10.5 at anything over 5 years is 4 1sts. If someone wants to pay him 10.5 to take him to free agency at 26 they can but I have a hard time seeing that. The compensation would end up being 4 1sts.

Well 5x10.5 would only actually be 2 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd. I doubt the offer sheet would be for 5 years if you have to go up in caphit though. If you are already in the max bracket, there’s no reason not to insist on a 7 year deal.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
would Marner even make as much money in a market such as Colorado with an AAV of 11 compared to an AAV of 9 in TO when you factor in endorsements and such?

He'd make more in Colorado because cost of living is high, but less than Toronto, and because of the flat incone tax rate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Of course it is. That's his agent - it's his job to be 100% pro-player and anti-team, and to try to screw the team over for even 10k lol. No issue with that.

Typically players show some sense of loyalty though. And again - this doesn't mean Marner has to be loyal and accept 10 if he feels he's worth as much/more than Tavares/Matthews. I'm just saying if it gets to a point where the Leafs come with a strong offer - very close to an offer sheet - i'd expect him to accept.
I just have trouble seeing Marner being ok with Ferris choice of comments and actions if he does end up doing this open solicitation. i get it it's Ferris job to get Marner the best value but he does work for Marner and under his discretion

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Nylander’s current deal would have bumped him up a bracket (it’s total divided by 5 years when its a 6 or 7 year deal), which would have then cost another 1st.

Exactly. Marner outscored him by 21 points and they want him to take 2+ million less per year than him? They needed to have worked the extensions simultaneously. Now Marner has no reason not to ask for the same deal.

Well 5x10.5 would only actually be 2 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd. I doubt the offer sheet would be for 5 years if you have to go up in caphit though. If you are already in the max bracket, there’s no reason not to insist on a 7 year deal.
My point is at that aav the only way to keep the lower comp is 5 years or less

Reactions: The Nuge

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can see a team throwing a 5 year deal @ 10,568,589 per (Max for two 1sts, and 2nd, and a 3rd) that walks him to UFA. If Toronto matches then they WILL lose Johnsson or Kapanen.

That's fine I like Kapanen and Johnsson but Marner is a much MUCH better player than both combined

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm pretty sure this was all speculation on Dreger's part, and the only thing he knew is that there were no discussions, which doesn't surprise me given he is out of the Leafs loop.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Mitch travelling to meet with potential offer-sheet suitors is very different than holding out for what you think you're worth. I hate basing opinions on anything Dreger says, but if this is true, it's far beyond a holdout (e.g., Nylander), it's actively looking to leave for a better offer.

I think the context matters though.

The reason he (might be...I don't put much stock into what Dreger says) forced to go this route is because he was the 4th guy to sign. The Leafs are now in a bad situation cap wise and as a result are forced to nickel and dime a bit more. Simply making them sweat at this point like Nylander did might not work as well.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm beginning to wonder if we are better off with:
A. Marner at 10-11 million
B. The assets from trade we'd get by trading him
C. The 4 1st rounders we'd get via offersheet+the cap saved from not signing Marner

I love Marner, but if he's going to be talking about 11? Check out the market Dubas.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Marner would be a leaf for life, Mathews is gone in 5 years, if push comes to shove why are they not keeping the local kid who loves the leafs over the guy trying to get back to merica as fast as he can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad