Prospect Info: Mock draft , top 8

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Since the lowest pick we have 8 , let us have our mock draft.
1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Eklund
4. Clarke
5. Hughes
6. Edvinsson
7. Wallstendt
8. Mctavish

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
  1. Power ... (LD) Canada
  2. Beniers ... (C) USA
  3. Clarke ... (RD) Canada
  4. Edvinsson ... (LD) Sweden
  5. Hughes ... (LD) USA
  6. Eklund ... (LW/C) Sweden
  7. Guenther ... (LW/RW) Canada
  8. Johnson ... (C) Canada
  9. Wallstedt ... (G) Sweden
  10. McTavish ... (C) Canada/Switzerland
  11. Lysell ... (RW) Sweden

Last edited:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
1. Power 2. Edvinson 3. Beniers 4. Clarke 5. Guenther 6. Johnson 7. Eklund 8. Hughes 9. McTavish 10. Walstedt

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I find myself increasingly interested in Mctavish
After watching Florida game today, I believe we need to get bigger and tougher. We have plenty high skilled smaller wingers. I hate to see unanswered Larkin injury or today Kucherov slash. I am not talking about unskilled fighters but about guys who could stand for themselves and teammates.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wallstedt very likely goes outside the Top 10. He isn't viewed as high as Askarov and Askarov didn't go Top 10.

1) Power - We lose like always!
2) Clarke
3) Beniers
4) Edvinsson
5) Guenther
6) Hughes -Us?
7) Johnson -Us?
8) Eklund -Us?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
is this what we are expecting or how we are ranking them out of who we want
I think you have to go with expectations, I don't have wingers on my list of who we'd want. At this point Stevie needs to address positional needs, not BPA.

Clarke is on the list because Hronek has already shown he can play the left side. Really wish the team had picked Drysdale last draft.

Reactions: Go Wings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think you have to go with expectations, I don't have wingers on my list of who we'd want. At this point Stevie needs to address positional needs, not BPA.

Clarke is on the list because Hronek has already shown he can play the left side. Really wish the team had picked Drysdale last draft.
If we are 1 and 2 it between Power and Beniers and I doubted Clarke will last 6-8.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't want Hronek on the left side long-term. While it might benefit him shooting-wise 1-2 times a game, the downsides outweight that. He doesn't have a good enough backhand to live there, he doesn't need any further disadvantages when defending, and I'd rather his breakout passes not get hamstrung, especially on this team.

There are a handful of defensemen who prefer their off-side (Hjalmarsson, Brodie, others I can't think of), and the reasons they can thrive there aren't there for Hronek. There are also a lot of LHD who play the right side in the NHL out of necessity, because there are a lot more LHD in the NHL than RHDs, but that's also not Hronek.

If the Wings draft Clarke, Hronek will not be long for Detroit.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Part of whether you go in the top ten or not is based on your competition, both the quality of the other prospects in that neighborhood and the quality of all other prospects at your given position.

So, how likely to "reach" for a goalie will teams be?

Once you get past Cossa, the next sorta 'tier' of goalies are OHL goalies who, unlike OHL forwards and defenders, couldn't easily find teams in Europe to play on when the OHL shut down for the pandemic. So, those OHL goalies haven't been tested much, some of them haven't played a single game, in over a year. So, confidence in them isn't great and it's as a result of a problem nobody has faced in past drafts.

Jonathan Bernier got picked 11th, outside the top ten, and there was a lot of buzz around him that year, but it wasn't during a pandemic which shut down leagues and kept other goalies from playing, or kept them from playing more than just a handful of games.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If we are 1 and 2 it between Power and Beniers and I doubted Clarke will last 6-8.
I don't either, but he's on my list and I'd have no issues picking him if he's still there.

I don't want Hronek on the left side long-term. While it might benefit him shooting-wise 1-2 times a game, the downsides outweight that. He doesn't have a good enough backhand to live there, he doesn't need any further disadvantages when defending, and I'd rather his breakout passes not get hamstrung, especially on this team.

There are a handful of defensemen who prefer their off-side (Hjalmarsson, Brodie, others I can't think of), and the reasons they can thrive there aren't there for Hronek. There are also a lot of LHD who play the right side in the NHL out of necessity, because there are a lot more LHD in the NHL than RHDs, but that's also not Hronek.

If the Wings draft Clarke, Hronek will not be long for Detroit.
He looked just fine playing the left side after the TDL. Much better than I expected, there wasn't any drop off in play which was remarkable considering he was partnered with Biega, Stecher, and Lindstrom.

If he winds up being partnered with Seider or Clarke, he's not gonna have any issues on the left side at all. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for an equivalent LHD, but I don't think that's a necessity. Much easier to trade a RHD for LHD than vice versa, as you mentioned there are a lot more LHD out there.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
1) Power
2) Clarke
3) Beniers
4) Edvinsson
5) Eklund
6) Guenther
7) McTavish
8) Wallstedt

Fallers - Hughes (foot injury) and Johnson

If Wallstedt isn't picked by #12 at the latest then I would be shocked. He's definitely up there with Askarov and Knight in regards to top tier goalie prospects.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2