Prospect Info: Mock draft , top 8

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How good is Wallstedt? Spencer Knight Askarov level?

I think at the moment Askarov is the best of all 3 top tier goalie prospects but I wouldn't use that as a slight against the other two. They're all a little different but could all end up as top 5 or top 10 goalies in the NHL for a long time. Those hard to find 60+ games played, 35+ win goalies.

Askarov has elite athleticism and size and will make a save that makes me think of Buffalo era Hasek. I think he needs the most work on his mechanics in crease and working the angles better in net. He could be a really exciting goalie that makes the highlight reels for a long time.

Knight has the best positioning of the trio with the ability to just be in the right place at the right time. The puck just seems to find him from what I've seen of the guy, and is probably the #1 or #2 reason why USA won gold at the U20 WJC this year. His athleticism is what I think needs the most work when compared to others.

Wallstedt is pretty sound positionally and does such a great job of taking away the bottom of the net just like Knight. His blocker side and stick are scary good and he's capable of making some really great sprawling saves like Askarov. Glove side needs work though. If he can get a hair faster on his glove to smother the puck better then he could be the best of the trio.

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad at all if we got Wallstedt at 6.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I don’t get people wanting to draft a goalie this high, this team csmnot sxore goals, and has a talent deficit. i just think goalie drafted this high is a luxury this team cannot afford.

Last edited:
Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don’t get people wanting to draft a goalie this high, this team csmnot sxore goals, anx has a talent deficit. i jist tjinkna goakie drsftef this high is a luxurt tjis team cannot afford.

I read that in Cheems. :laugh:

giphy-downsized.gif

(But srs bznz tho Wallstedt is realgud at hockey stuff)

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
If we pick at 6 7 or 8 I want Johnson. Rather use one of the 2nds and a later pick on goalies. With the D we’ve chosen the last few drafts I think we can swing in the 2nd for more. Unless of course the Hockey Gods bless us with a Top 2 pick. Then I trust Yzerman’s choice between Power or Beniers

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If we pick at 6 7 or 8 I want Johnson. Rather use one of the 2nds and a later pick on goalies. With the D we’ve chosen the last few drafts I think we can swing in the 2nd for more. Unless of course the Hockey Gods bless us with a Top 2 pick. Then I trust Yzerman’s choice between Power or Beniers

I think BECAUSE of the D we've taken since 18, 19 and 20 that we can swing more for a goalie. We have scoring winger prospects, we have a franchise defender prospect, about 3 guys that look like they have top 4 upside, and 2 or 3 more that look like they have top 6 upside. Our best goalie looks like he's got backup potential, though.

Goalie is by far the biggest positional need in our prospect pool, and Wallstedt looks like a franchise level goalie. The guys ranked in the late 1st, 2nd and 3rd do not look like that.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think at the moment Askarov is the best of all 3 top tier goalie prospects but I wouldn't use that as a slight against the other two. They're all a little different but could all end up as top 5 or top 10 goalies in the NHL for a long time. Those hard to find 60+ games played, 35+ win goalies.

Askarov has elite athleticism and size and will make a save that makes me think of Buffalo era Hasek. I think he needs the most work on his mechanics in crease and working the angles better in net. He could be a really exciting goalie that makes the highlight reels for a long time.

Knight has the best positioning of the trio with the ability to just be in the right place at the right time. The puck just seems to find him from what I've seen of the guy, and is probably the #1 or #2 reason why USA won gold at the U20 WJC this year. His athleticism is what I think needs the most work when compared to others.

Wallstedt is pretty sound positionally and does such a great job of taking away the bottom of the net just like Knight. His blocker side and stick are scary good and he's capable of making some really great sprawling saves like Askarov. Glove side needs work though. If he can get a hair faster on his glove to smother the puck better then he could be the best of the trio.

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad at all if we got Wallstedt at 6.
Thanks. I think you might have sold me on him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I read that in Cheems. :laugh:

giphy-downsized.gif

(But srs bznz tho Wallstedt is realgud at hockey stuff)
Right, funny stuff. I’m sure he’s “real gud “ otherwise he wouldn’t be ranked so high. I just think that this team is in need of scoring help and puck movers, they can address their goalie situation later.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Right, funny stuff. I’m sure he’s “real gud “ otherwise he wouldn’t be ranked so high. I just think that this team is in need of scoring help and puck movers, they can address their goalie situation later.

We've got scoring help on the way and puck moving help on the way. The two biggest needs within the Wings organization are a top 6 center and a goalie capable of keeping the team in most games and stealing a few here and there. (Can't expect a goalie to do that every night.)

The scoring depth and defense depth is something that can be addressed via trade. Goalies are a little harder to trade for.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I think BECAUSE of the D we've taken since 18, 19 and 20 that we can swing more for a goalie. We have scoring winger prospects, we have a franchise defender prospect, about 3 guys that look like they have top 4 upside, and 2 or 3 more that look like they have top 6 upside. Our best goalie looks like he's got backup potential, though.

Goalie is by far the biggest positional need in our prospect pool, and Wallstedt looks like a franchise level goalie. The guys ranked in the late 1st, 2nd and 3rd do not look like that.
Yzerman had a chance to take Askarov and didn’t....I’ll be shocked if he takes a Goalie in the Top 10

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yzerman had a chance to take Askarov and didn’t....I’ll be shocked if he takes a Goalie in the Top 10

To be fair, the forward crop in 2020 was ranked higher than the forward crop of 2021. Stutzle would be an easy #1 overall this year, as would Byfield.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
To be fair, the forward crop in 2020 was ranked higher than the forward crop of 2021. Stutzle would be an easy #1 overall this year, as would Byfield.
Fair enough, I just think they need more scorers, as many as they can draft, it’s still an unknown how Raymond or Berggren turn out.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Since the lowest pick we have 8 , let us have our mock draft.
1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Eklund
4. Clarke
5. Hughes
6. Edvinsson
7. Wallstendt
8. Mctavish

I think it depends on who the teams take.

Ran tankathon once:

Chicago: Power
Flames: Berniers
Buffalo: Clarke
Anaheim: Edvinsson
Seattle: Hughes
NJ: Sillinger
CBJ: Eklund
DET: Svechkov
SJ: Lucius
LA: Cossa

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Ran tankathon once:

Odd.... I keep getting Clarke and Johnson at #7 and #8, either of which I would be happy with. Power @ #1OA when I win the lottery.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Ran tankathon once:

I hope we don't get Svechkov at 8

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The more I read about the way he plays, the more I'm liking Mason McTavish.

Same. I think he’s got the talent to be a sure bet 25-30goal, 50ish point power forward most seasons when he reaches maturity. He crushed some guys at the WJC and had some beautiful goals. The kid’s release is great.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Same. I think he’s got the talent to be a sure bet 25-30goal, 50ish point power forward most seasons when he reaches maturity. He crushed some guys at the WJC and had some beautiful goals. The kid’s release is great.

Ya, it'd depend on where we're at and who's left.

I was not excited about Clarke if we miss out on the LHD, but I'm more open with the realization that Hronek could just shift over.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Svechkov is a riser for sure, I'd bet you he goes closer to #10 then #30.

I won't pretend I've seen him enough to say I'd like him in the top 10, but I wouldn't mind the pick any more than I'd mind another "reach" at center like McTavish.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, I would be thrilled with Svechkov at the Cap's pick in the 1st, not so much with the Wing's pick at 8...But man, the more I stew on things, the more I hope the Wing's don't blow their lotto luck this year. Especially not on winning #2. I just can't get excited for Matty Beniers or really anyone at that 2 spot. The first lottery win for the Wings in 20 years should not be spent on a David Legwand, Colin Wilson, or even Dylan Larkin level player (which I'm not even sure that he is). I would be thrilled with a prospect of his caliber at 10, not so much at #1 or #2. And that is not a knock on him, just the talent level of this draft. I honestly would feel better about walking away with Mason McTavish at 7 or 8 than I would with Beniers at 2. I can't explain it, I like him as a player but as far as "excitement," I just don't feel it here. Winning #1 would be cool, but even Power doesn't have me saying, "Boy, can't wait to see him in a Wings' uniform!" And then with the next draft (with actual talent), we would have other teams' fans saying "Well, the wings won the lotto last year so they can't complain." I don't know, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. Somebody talk me off the ledge....

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I find myself increasingly interested in Mctavish

The more I read about the way he plays, the more I'm liking Mason McTavish.

Thats a guy that I came away from the u18 possibly the most impressed with. He was 11th on Bobs list before the u18 and I thought he was great there, I could definitely see him rising into the 6-9 range on that list come draft time wit h how strong his tournament was and the fact hes a center

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad