Prospect Info: Mock draft , top 8

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He looked just fine playing the left side after the TDL. Much better than I expected, there wasn't any drop off in play which was remarkable considering he was partnered with Biega, Stecher, and Lindstrom.

If he winds up being partnered with Seider or Clarke, he's not gonna have any issues on the left side at all. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for an equivalent LHD, but I don't think that's a necessity. Much easier to trade a RHD for LHD than vice versa, as you mentioned there are a lot more LHD out there.

Honestly, I kinda zoned out down the stretch this season. Had the games on but wasn't watching as closely as normal, except maybe zeroing in on Vrana a bit. Actually, I just remembered that I didn't watch the last 2 games at all, I'll go back and give them a look this week. But I believe you that Hronek was competent on the left side. However, my main point is just that I'm not convinced that his game lends itself well to playing the off-side over the long-term, even if he looked good in a small sample. I'm not saying it's an awful or idea or that it's doomed to failure, but I also am reluctant to bank on it in any way.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Most of those don't seem so crazy. I think the craziest is Helenius in the 1st. Other than that it's not too far off base.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Svechkov picked 10 through 15, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see Edvinsson, Raty or Hughes as fallers.
Red Savage? Helenius? Lambos at 5? Anton Olsson and Martino in the 1st? He's got some extremely hot takes, but just like every year, it gets boring if everyone has the same list. This one is just a little too spicy...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Red Savage? Helenius? Lambos at 5? Anton Olsson and Martino in the 1st? He's got some extremely hot takes, but just like every year, it gets boring if everyone has the same list. This one is just a little too spicy...

Carson Lambos was a guy that I thought would for sure be a top 10 pick this year and there really isn't a good reason that explains why he dropped from the top 10 in pre-season draft rankings to where he is now. At least we've read plenty on why he's no longer top 10, but Lambos falling is strange to me.

Anton Olsson is a guy that could probably go late 1st (28 or later) to early 2nd round and it would be a minimal reach. Red Savage is probably in the same boat.

Scouting Report: Anton Olsson - Smaht Scouting

Flyers 2021 Draft Profiles: USNTDP Prospect Red Savage Has Ties To The Flyers Organization, And He Is A Good Two-Way Player “My Mom Taught Me How To Skate”

And I stated earlier that I thought Helenius in the first was the craziest placement. But again, I get the reasoning: He's big, tough and hard to play against. I personally think the guy is probably a mid to late 2nd round pick but the kid is big and tough. Those are valuable commodities in short supply these days.

Martino is a guy I know jack and shit about so no comment.

EDIT: Here's an article about Martino.

2021 Draft Profile: LW Ayrton Martino - The Draft Analyst

Last edited:

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Carson Lambos was a guy that I thought would for sure be a top 10 pick this year and there really isn't a good reason that explains why he dropped from the top 10 in pre-season draft rankings to where he is now. At least we've read plenty on why he's no longer top 10, but Lambos falling is strange to me.

Anton Olsson is a guy that could probably go late 1st (28 or later) to early 2nd round and it would be a minimal reach. Red Savage is probably in the same boat.

Scouting Report: Anton Olsson - Smaht Scouting

Flyers 2021 Draft Profiles: USNTDP Prospect Red Savage Has Ties To The Flyers Organization, And He Is A Good Two-Way Player “My Mom Taught Me How To Skate”

And I stated earlier that I thought Helenius in the first was the craziest placement. But again, I get the reasoning: He's big, tough and hard to play against. I personally think the guy is probably a mid to late 2nd round pick but the kid is big and tough. Those are valuable commodities in short supply these days.

Martino is a guy I know jack and shit about so no comment.

EDIT: Here's an article about Martino.

2021 Draft Profile: LW Ayrton Martino - The Draft Analyst
Yeah, Steve K is clearly high on the guy, hence his placement. I just think he's off base. Martino is probably a 2nd round guy though, so whatever. Olsson had rough showings in both the U20 and U18 so again, not sure he makes the 1st round let alone the middle of the 1st. Overall, the more I dig into Steve's stuff, the less impressed I am with the content. But it's free and he seems like a good dude so I give him the pageviews.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is the premise of this thread supposed to be?

If this is a Mock Draft where we are guessing picks, I think it would be a lot more productive to wait until the draft order is set.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What is the premise of this thread supposed to be?

If this is a Mock Draft where we are guessing picks, I think it would be a lot more productive to wait until the draft order is set.

giphy.gif

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, I would be thrilled with Svechkov at the Cap's pick in the 1st, not so much with the Wing's pick at 8...But man, the more I stew on things the more, I hope the Wing's don't blow their lotto luck this year. Especially not on winning #2. I just can't get excited for Matty Beniers or really anyone at that 2 spot. The first lottery win for the Wings in 20 years should not be spent on a David Legwand, Colin Wilson, or even Dylan Larkin level player (which I'm not even sure that he is). I would be thrilled with a prospect of his caliber at 10, not so much at #1 or #2. And that is not a knock on him, just the talent level of this draft. I honestly would feel better about walking away with Mason McTavish at 7 or 8 than I would with Beniers at 2. I can't explain it, I like him as a player but as far as "excitement," I just don't feel it here. Winning #1 would be cool, but even Power doesn't have me saying, "Boy, can't wait to see him in a Wings' uniform!" And then next draft (with actual talent), we would have other teams' fans saying "Well, the wings won the lotto last year so they can't complain." I don't know, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. Somebody talk me off the ledge....

Here's the truth. Unless Power, Beniers or whoever we take at 1 or 2 in the lottery steps in and actively creates more wins for the Wings next year, this lottery has no bearing on next year's. You want to win it every year. If you presented me with a choice "you can only win the lottery this year or next, which would you rather?" I'd totally take next. But I don't have a choice. We might win neither. We'll probably win neither. So be happy if we win one at all because losing this year and all of the losing we've done in past lotteries has absolutely no effect whatsoever on next year's lottery (besides the changes to team composition leading to potentially different records).

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Here's the truth. Unless Power, Beniers or whoever we take at 1 or 2 in the lottery steps in and actively creates more wins for the Wings next year, this lottery has no bearing on next year's. You want to win it every year. If you presented me with a choice "you can only win the lottery this year or next, which would you rather?" I'd totally take next. But I don't have a choice. We might win neither. We'll probably win neither. So be happy if we win one at all because losing this year and all of the losing we've done in past lotteries has absolutely no effect whatsoever on next year's lottery (besides the changes to team composition leading to potentially different records).
Wrong! I mean, yes, technically you are right, but the hockey gods would OWE us after the travesty of last year and then no luck again this year....so I'd much rather save that juju for next year. But yeah, most likely we are looking at not winning this year or next.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Who won 2017 draft? I believe it was AVS with 4th overall. I this draft # 8 team could be a winner

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I calculated average from everybody who put their rating here. For 1 I gave8, for second 7....
1 Power -87
2. Beniers -65
3. Clarke - 54
4. Edvinsson- 47
5. Eklund -40
6. Hughes- 39
7. Guenter -31
8.Johnson -19
9Wallstendt - 4
Silinger and Mctavish 3, Svechkov 2

Reactions: waltdetroit

Roy S

May 16, 2009
If the Wings win the lottery, I don't think there is any player in the draft they would immediately put in the NHL. I'd expect them to keep Power at U of M, for example, for one more year.

Reactions: lilidk

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Edvinsson at 1? Lysell at 5? That's bold, my dude. I just hope it's Buffalo and Columbus making those decisions. :sarcasm:
I couldn't figure out if we were posting our own top eight or our projection for how it all plays out. Without knowing who is picking where, I rolled with the former.

There isn't a player in this draft I've watched play more than Simon Edvinsson and Fabian Lysell, so that might cloud my judgment some. I've certainly seen what they can do at their best, and I can't say the same about a lot of the guys projected to go in the first couple rounds.

I'm not sure why the internet hates Edvinsson. I suspect it's related to that weird narrative going around that he's a Broberg clone, which couldn't be further from the truth. In any event, when Edvinsson is at his best, I think he's the best player available. Even if he never becomes that, I think he'll still turn out to be a hell of a player. And I think the scouting community (the real one, not the internet scouts) share that opinion (see: McKenzie's latest poll). As for Lysell, I realize that five is pretty low... To be honest, I had him as a contender for first overall earlier in the year, and I still think you can justify taking him there, but he is an undersized winger with underwhelming stats and supposed "character concerns". Basically, he's a skilled forward, a great skater, relentless on both sides of the puck and thinks the game at a high speed.

im wrecked without that ' draft dynasty ' dude not scouting this draft . guess he went to work for les habitants :madfire:
I miss that dude. I'm really looking forward to seeing if Montreal drafts Dmitri Rashevsky. If I remember correctly, Draft Dynasty had him as a first rounder last year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As for Lysell, I realize that five is pretty low... To be honest, I had him as a contender for first overall earlier in the year, and I still think you can justify taking him there, but he is an undersized winger with underwhelming stats and supposed "character concerns". Basically, he's a skilled forward, a great skater, relentless on both sides of the puck and thinks the game at a high speed.

5 is low meaning... that it's closer to #1, or that it's falling further from #1? I think most people around here will throw a flag on having him in the top 10, not even to mention top 5. People don't like Lysell that much around here. Part of it (seemingly most of it) is positional and stature based knocks, but I also don't think his skill level is appreciated enough.

Also, the character concerns seem like a bunch of shit to me. It was a 17/18 year old kid who asked for a change in scenery to get a fresh start with a club that would give him more opportunity. Frolunda has a weird ass hierarchy, and if we sit here collectively scratching our heads when watching Raymond, Soderblom, Niederbach get deployed, or watching Edvinsson be yanked around to different levels, imagine how it would feel being one of those players that is trying to take the next step and get an opportunity. Could it be entitlement? Maybe, but it doesn't really feel like it considering how the rest of the season finished out.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Eklund goes top 5, but what team drafts him? Seattle? CBJ?

I know everyone thinks Hughes is going to NJ, but I see them drafting Edvinsson. Get a bigger guy that can play tough minutes and push Ty Smith down a pairing, and let him focus more on the offensive end.

Given that the Ducks have drafted guys like Comtois, Jones, Ritchie... I could definitely see them liking McTavish.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I know everyone thinks Hughes is going to NJ, but I see them drafting Edvinsson. Get a bigger guy that can play tough minutes and push Ty Smith down a pairing, and let him focus more on the offensive end.

Given that the Ducks have drafted guys like Comtois, Jones, Ritchie... I could definitely see them liking McTavish.

I can see the Ducks going after the forwards for sure. Especially if you want to get someone for Zegras to play with. McTavish, Eklund, Beniers, Guenther all have aspects of they game that would be nice on a line with Zegras in the future. Guenther and McTavish would probably be better fits with their shooting ability.

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

If Buffalo doesn't throw a spanner into the works by drafting Eklund 1st overall I would be shocked if Eklund didn't go to New Jersey at 4. He has great chemistry with Holtz and would give them a legit option to load up their top 6 group.

I've got the Ducks either taking McTavish or Guenther but I could see them going for Edvinsson as well. That team doesn't seem to be doing a very good job in its rebuild and it's hard to see a vision for their team's future. Maybe they go with Kent Johnson? That also wouldn't surprise me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00