OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Um, what the heck is Gentry Academy?

Still not quite sure.

I think they're basically like Shattuck St. Mary of the Metro. Didn't know like 40% of their roster isn't even Minnesotan.

That said, after watching parts of the game yesterday, I think both EP and MG would beat them.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Still not quite sure.

I think they're basically like Shattuck St. Mary of the Metro. Didn't know like 40% of their roster isn't even Minnesotan.

That said, after watching parts of the game yesterday, I think both EP and MG would beat them.

Was talking to a friend the other day that works over in that area. Basically that is what it is being compared to. It is apparently a "school" (if you look at the building they are in, it is not traditional in that sense) that is heavily tailored to hockey/lacrosse players.

Trib was reporting they had already filed to move into AA, but required a 1 year waiting period before they could make the jump. So next year, they probably are not getting away with what they're doing this year for the foreseeable future. Who knows. Far as the private school only conference, I'm all for just a Section for the private schools. That way only 1 can make it out. Expand the tourney by 2 teams and let an "at large" come in.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Far as the private school only conference, I'm all for just a Section for the private schools. That way only 1 can make it out. Expand the tourney by 2 teams and let an "at large" come in.

Ha. I like that proposition. That is genius. Granted I am sure there are negatives to it (surely people would point them out here).

Maybe a "northern" private school section, and then a "Metro" or "southern" section or something like that, where all private schools eat each other to death. lol

Regarding Gentry's "school", it's just a brand new, unimpressive looking sort of square building. Arena is right next to it, which is quite convenient for them

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Ha. I like that proposition. That is genius. Granted I am sure there are negatives to it (surely people would point them out here).

Maybe a "northern" private school section, and then a "Metro" or "southern" section or something like that, where all private schools eat each other to death. lol

Regarding Gentry's "school", it's just a brand new, unimpressive looking sort of square building. Arena is right next to it, which is quite convenient for them
Just what hockey parents and high schoolers need, more travel time!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If they can afford to send little Johnny to prep school, they can afford to take time off to work to watch little Johnny.
Wild fans, complain when professional athletes have to take their private jets to travel 4 hours, and have to stay up to watch the games. Also Wild fans, these minors should spend 4 hours a day commuting after school because they chose a better education option and their parents maybe had the money for it.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Wild fans, complain when professional athletes have to take their private jets to travel 4 hours, and have to stay up to watch the games. Also Wild fans, these minors should spend 4 hours a day commuting after school because they chose a better education option and their parents maybe had the money for it.

1- we're just kicking around ideas here (none of this - a private-only section - would ever happen, and we all know this)

2- aren't most private schools in large Metro areas? I am not aware of private schools out in the middle of nowhere, where they would have to travel significantly

3- you know as well as I do that these private teams are playing by a different set of rules

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
1- we're just kicking around ideas here (none of this - a private-only section - would ever happen, and we all know this)

2- aren't most private schools in large Metro areas? I am not aware of private schools out in the middle of nowhere, where they would have to travel significantly

3- you know as well as I do that these private teams are playing by a different set of rules
They are plenty spread out, going from like Victoria to the cities and vice versa in rush hour times would be completely impossible without extremely late start times and that’s just the average commute in this made up section.

They don’t play by different rules based on public vs private, the wealthy public’s are doing the exact same things to get an advantage, rather than public vs private, it’s a money/power issue.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Wish they would just once mention the states and countries that Gentry’s players are from. Then again I’m just crushed for DC.. the buzz around town here has been great and it’s huge for our program, but I think we all knew this was coming

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Wish they would just once mention the states and countries that Gentry’s players are from. Then again I’m just crushed for DC.. the buzz around town here has been great and it’s huge for our program, but I think we all knew this was coming
Countries? Most of these kids are players that were cut from the varsity of the AA teams around the metro.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Countries? Most of these kids are players that were cut from the varsity of the AA teams around the metro.

Sorry trying to type on my phone. I had heard country from a reporter down here, but I find the cut part hard to believe. They have kids from several states. You can’t justify their skill level in A.. it’s atrocious

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
It looks like have players that are from Illinois, Wisconsin, Delaware, Las Vegas, North Dakota, Massachusetts, Vancouver and San Francisco. They had a player from Lithuania last year... so I guess countries wouldn’t be far fetched

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad