OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Alleged new sections for the future were leaked this morning. Gentry goes to Hill & WBL section while Maple Grove gets tossed into 6AA which is an outrageously tough section

EyS-rJQUYAMK7dC

some of those divisions like 7aa and 8aa are just brutal for travel... grand rapids and anoka?! rogers and roseau?! ....

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Such a joke. Stillwater and WBL and the rest in 4AA have to go through Gentry and Hill Murray and their ringers. Mounds View and Roseville escape to 5AA. Rosemount, Park, and the rest have to go through St. Thomas and now Cretin who magically jumped sections again. Ridiculous! How about we have a section 9AA were the f***ing all-star teams can play each other?

Reactions: Northerner

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Ha. I like that proposition. That is genius. Granted I am sure there are negatives to it (surely people would point them out here).

Oh no doubt there are setbacks to it. However, things like determining the "at large" could be determined via points, or goals, or something more tangible that can be easily assessed and determined. If they went the route, "well Minnetonka lost to EP in OT in Sections, so they get in over Blaine and Duluth East" I think you'd have a lot of people crying foul because it would most likely always be a Metro School with that logic.

Maybe a "northern" private school section, and then a "Metro" or "southern" section or something like that, where all private schools eat each other to death. lol

Exactly. No matter what, one school always makes it. It also takes out schools like STA, Benild, TG, etc. and pits them for their one bid into the tourney. It also aids those schools that never seem to get over the hump, such as WBL always having to go against Hill Murray every section final.

Regarding Gentry's "school", it's just a brand new, unimpressive looking sort of square building. Arena is right next to it, which is quite convenient for them

Well, if they're going AA next year, they'll be in a for a rude awakening.

some of those divisions like 7aa and 8aa are just brutal for travel... grand rapids and anoka?! rogers and roseau?! ....

That 6AA is just insane....

I still love how EP and Edina are basically on top of each other geographically, but instead of putting them in the same bloody section, they throw them into Northwest Metro....

Last edited by a moderator:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Oh no doubt there are setbacks to it. However, things like determining the "at large" could be determined via points, or goals, or something more tangible that can be easily assessed and determined. If they went the route, "well Minnetonka lost to EP in OT in Sections, so they get in over Blaine and Duluth East" I think you'd have a lot of people crying foul because it would most likely always be a Metro School with that logic.

Exactly. No matter what, one school always makes it. It also takes out schools like STA, Benild, TG, etc. and pits them for their one bid into the tourney. It also aids those schools that never seem to get over the hump, such as WBL always having to go against Hill Murray every section final.

Well, if they're going AA next year, they'll be in a for a rude awakening.

That 6AA is just insane....

I still love how EP and Edina are basically on top of each other geographically, but instead of putting them in the same bloody section, they throw them into Northwest Metro....

That Hill WBL section has always been one of the easiest, IMO. Gentry just needs to really get through Hill, I guess. WBL isn't always a strong team.

I do think EP and Edina should be in the same Section. Politics at play there?

Honestly all of those sections look brutal.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Did he have ties to MN before playing here? Or did he just decide to live here after his career was over?

I don't believe he had ties to Minnesota prior to him playing for the Wild. He wouldn't be the first player to make Minnesota their home after their playing days are over.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't believe he had ties to Minnesota prior to him playing for the Wild. He wouldn't be the first player to make Minnesota their home after their playing days are over.
^
This. His kids had already moved a couple of times, and were probably at school age, and the family probably decided not to uproot yet again. It's a pretty easy transition for Canadians to move here, except for the colder weather.:laugh:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Any information on this one? Star Trib and are few others are saying there was an HR investigation or something?

Seemingly along the same lines as Kivihalme at Lakeville South and others recently, there was an, "HR Investigation" recently (he had one back in 03' as well) which derived from several parents filing complaints against him and how he handles the program. Basically, he made the decision to step-down, (coerced) because the school administration no longer supported him.

I chalk it up to shitty parents once again.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Seemingly along the same lines as Kivihalme at Lakeville South and others recently, there was an, "HR Investigation" recently (he had one back in 03' as well) which derived from several parents filing complaints against him and how he handles the program. Basically, he made the decision to step-down, (coerced) because the school administration no longer supported him.

I chalk it up to shitty parents once again.
Hockey parents are the worst. Their little johnny is the best player, johnny should be the #1 center, johnny should be on ice the entire pp, johnny is a D-1 prospect (at the age of 8), the Coaches are idiots. Meanwhile I'm in the locker room teaching Johnny how to tie his skates. Sheesh.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hockey parents are the worst. Their little johnny is the best player, johnny should be the #1 center, johnny should be on ice the entire pp, johnny is a D-1 prospect (at the age of 8), the Coaches are idiots. Meanwhile I'm in the locker room teaching Johnny how to tie his skates. Sheesh.

Its all sports, man. With Randolph, he gets 100 kids a year trying out and has to get that number down to 20ish kids. Decisions have to be made. I was a HS coach from 2014-2019 in the cities (not hockey) and every single year we had more kids come out, more kids not make the Varsity team and as the years progressed we were barely coaching anymore due to all the parent involvement and constant bullshit. I quit because of it.

The kids suffer the most, but as the years went on, the kids became more insufferable, which I don't blame them for. It's the environment their parents put them in to feel this sense of entitlement.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Its all sports, man. With Randolph, he gets 100 kids a year trying out and has to get that number down to 20ish kids. Decisions have to be made. I was a HS coach from 2014-2019 in the cities (not hockey) and every single year we had more kids come out, more kids not make the Varsity team and as the years progressed we were barely coaching anymore due to all the parent involvement and constant bullshit. I quit because of it.

The kids suffer the most, but as the years went on, the kids became more insufferable, which I don't blame them for. It's the environment their parents put them in to feel this sense of entitlement.
Understood. I've coached other sports also. Hockey was the worst. It came from the investment from the parents. Equipment costs, team fees to play year round, traveling costs including hotels for out of town tourneys, special clinics, hockey camps, and of course the time commitment. I never had a real problem with the kids so I'll take your word for it.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
I like this post. It’s usually the guy on the back railing with the biggest mouth.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
So long Mike Randolph. Great coach for like 36 years. One of the best upsets in recent memory in 2018 taking down top rated Edina at state in the semi-finals 4-2. 90% of the crowd that night was pulling for East that night. Edina had like 6 players on that team that went on to play d-1. They ended up losing to Minnetonka, but still a memorable night at the X.

Reactions: Northerner

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So long Mike Randolph. Great coach for like 36 years. One of the best upsets in recent memory in 2018 taking down top rated Edina at state in the semi-finals 4-2. 90% of the crowd that night was pulling for East that night. Edina had like 6 players on that team that went on to play d-1. They ended up losing to Minnetonka, but still a memorable night at the X.
8 players went D-1, and one or two others, could've, IMO.

36 years...wow! Changing of the guard, for sure. I wonder how much of DE's success was due to Randolph, and how much due to the talent base there.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Saw they lost 8-7 to Gentry Academy tonight. Must have been a wild game.
That is a crazy score. It had to have been a entertainig game.

Per the article they are pulling mostly from Southwest and Washburn. That makes sense to me.

This thread hasn't got near enough activity. I don't have FSN anymore who got the 'Dream State' this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad