OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Don't these privates have scholarships? And if they get a blue chip athlete, can they pull strings and get them full rides?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Don't these privates have scholarships? And if they get a blue chip athlete, can they pull strings and get them full rides?
I don't recall specifically. I knew some Hill players at one point and that never came up. That's not to say it doesn't happen though.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm almost POSSITIVE Cretin has scholarships. Kid I grew up with - his sister was on welfare and her kid went to Cretin. So I know damn well she didn't pay for that.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Duluth Marshall does that with athletes, they did it for certain baseball players I know for a fact. 100% chance the other private schools are doing it for hockey.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Don't want to jinx them, but I hope my Lakeville South Cougars can get past Moorhead. This might be their easiest path the finals with HM being knocked out.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

When our oldest was in 8th grade we had a private school talk to us about him coming there to play lacrosse. When I mentioned that I didn't think we could afford that school I was told that there were ways to make it happen if he was interested and his test scores, essay, interviews, etc all went well. But he wasn't interested in leaving his friends and we weren't interested enough to push it. But yeah, your premise is accurate.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
A little self-contradictory rooting for a EGF team that is pulling kids from local programs, but if that's who I got to root for to beat a Gentry All star team, then so be it. So far they are up 3-1.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Who is EGF pulling from?

That 2nd goal the EGF goalie let in was terrible. From what I have seen over the year I think EGF's goalie is a definite weak spot.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Who is EGF pulling from?

That 2nd goal the EGF goalie let in was terrible. From what I have seen over the year I think EGF's goalie is a definite weak spot.

Both the goalies have looked weak.

I have heard EGF is pulling from all over the area - most notably across the river (for pretty obvious reasons. Would you rather play HS hockey in ND or MN?).

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Where do they pull their players from? None of the names seem all that familiar.

Elite Prospects has their full roster with birthplace

24 players
13 MN Born Players
2 Illinois
2 North Dakota (Brothers)
1 Wisconsin
1 Delaware
1 Nevada
1 Massachusetts
1 California
1 Washington
1 Unknown

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Someone at work told me he thinks Gentry is like Shattuck.

Doesn't Shattuck play like twice (at least) as many games as a place like Gentry?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The privates are not able to offer sports scholarships or technically recruit for sports, though obviously it is still done by some. The president of my high school was fired my freshman year for doing it, he since took a job at a different private and carried on doing it. They can offer financial aid and academic scholarships, though that can be gamed and they aren’t really beholden to anyone when it comes to disclosing that.

edit: this is also not limited to the private schools when it comes to recruiting, Edina and Eden Prairie also heavily recruited at the youth level, both in state and out state and those are two that I know for sure, safe to assume most of the rest of the metro did or does the same.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The privates are not able to offer sports scholarships or technically recruit for sports, though obviously it is still done by some. The president of my high school was fired my freshman year for doing it, he since took a job at a different private and carried on doing it. They can offer financial aid and academic scholarships, though that can be gamed and they aren’t really beholden to anyone when it comes to disclosing that.

edit: this is also not limited to the private schools when it comes to recruiting, Edina and Eden Prairie also heavily recruited at the youth level, both in state and out state and those are two that I know for sure, safe to assume most of the rest of the metro did or does the same.
Sorry , but I call BS on Edina. Players do want to move in and play there, but Giles generally does not recruit, and he certainly doesn't "heavily recruit". He doesn't need to. They actually have far more players move out of the youth system and go to privates (and in some cases, publics). I know of at least two players that went to a large public from Edina, and it was made known to me that my eldest son would be welcomed at another large public should he want to .

Most students that open enroll do it for educational reasons.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Sorry , but I call BS on Edina. Players do want to move in and play there, but Giles generally does not recruit, and he certainly doesn't "heavily recruit". He doesn't need to. They actually have far more players move out of the youth system and go to privates (and in some cases, publics). I know of at least two players that went to a large public from Edina, and it was made known to me that my eldest son would be welcomed at another large public should he want to .

Most students that open enroll do it for educational reasons.
The transfer rule was literally put in place because of Edina.

I did mention that this was in the past, I cannot speak to the current state, but with most of the fossils still hanging around on youth hockey operations I doubt much has really changed behind the scenes.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The transfer rule was literally put in place because of Edina.

I did mention that this was in the past, I cannot speak to the current state, but with most of the fossils still hanging around on youth hockey operations I doubt much has really changed behind the scenes.
Again, they lose far more to other schools than they have anyone transfer in. You are making vague accusations without proof. Teams, whether they be youth teams or HS teams, simply have too much to lose by skirting the transfer rules. I was coach of a Peewee B team, and was made aware just before the start of the season that a player's parents had put a false address on their forms, and that they actually lived outside the town's school boundaries, even though they lived in town. We cut him right away, because we knew that having him on the team would invalidate, and end our season. And this is for PW B! What kind of idiot would risk their team's season for, nvm a possible State run or Championship in HS, by messing around with importing players? It is near impossible to skirt the rules without someone figuring it out. There are simply too many people involved, and kids talk too much, especially on social media.

I would be all for a private section in MN HS hcokey, but would worry that we would turn into MA, where all the best hockey is at fancy Academies like Milton. Hockey is already expensive...that would turn it into a sport for the rich, except for the odd, extremely talented kid who would be sponsored by those schools.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Again, they lose far more to other schools than they have anyone transfer in. You are making vague accusations without proof. Teams, whether they be youth teams or HS teams, simply have too much to lose by skirting the transfer rules. I was coach of a Peewee B team, and was made aware just before the start of the season that a player's parents had put a false address on their forms, and that they actually lived outside the town's school boundaries, even though they lived in town. We cut him right away, because we knew that having him on the team would invalidate, and end our season. And this is for PW B! What kind of idiot would risk their team's season for, nvm a possible State run or Championship in HS, by messing around with importing players? It is near impossible to skirt the rules without someone figuring it out. There are simply too many people involved, and kids talk too much, especially on social media.

I would be all for a private section in MN HS hcokey, but would worry that we would turn into MA, where all the best hockey is at fancy Academies like Milton. Hockey is already expensive...that would turn it into a sport for the rich, except for the odd, extremely talented kid who would be sponsored by those schools.
What vague accusations am I making? I stated this happened in the past, it’s literally the reason that there is a transfer rule, and that people have been fired for doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad