OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
My top 5 so far for Class AA are:

1. Lakeville North- Class of the field, favorites to win it all.
2. Edina
3. STA
4. Elk River- Jaremko is one of the most dangerous players in the state.
5. Blaine- 10-0-1 since beginning of January with wins over Elk River, BSM, Centennial, Duluth East

Lakeville North will likely be undefeated going into state and be the heavy favorites to win it all.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I was at the North game last night versus Prior Lake. LN was the much better team overall and walked away with a 4-1 win even though their top line (Poehling, Poehling and Poehling) had a pretty bad game. (I have been to 7 or so).

Their 6 starters are D1 commits with the Poehlings all going to SCSU, D McNeely going to UNO, D Sadek going to the U and their junior goalie committed to the U as well. Edquist is the name.

I coach JV Lax at the school so I attend when I can.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I was at the North game last night versus Prior Lake. LN was the much better team overall and walked away with a 4-1 win even though their top line (Poehling, Poehling and Poehling) had a pretty bad game. (I have been to 7 or so).

Their 6 starters are D1 commits with the Poehlings all going to SCSU, D McNeely going to UNO, D Sadek going to the U and their junior goalie committed to the U as well. Edquist is the name.

I coach JV Lax at the school so I attend when I can.

I've been waiting for Prior Lake to get good at hockey ever since I graduated. But they always get Edina in sections and get destroyed, haha.

Jay Barriball and Jordan Schroeder apparently both could have gone to Prior Lake, but Barriball went to Holy Angels, and Schroeder went to STA. Would have been nice if one of those guys would have stayed. :laugh:

Would be fun to watch the alma mater in the state tournament.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I've been waiting for Prior Lake to get good at hockey ever since I graduated. But they always get Edina in sections and get destroyed, haha.

Jay Barriball and Jordan Schroeder apparently both could have gone to Prior Lake, but Barriball went to Holy Angels, and Schroeder went to STA. Would have been nice if one of those guys would have stayed. :laugh:

They aren't a bad team by any means. Their goaltending is suspect IMO, brutal rebound control in the 3 games I have seen him play. Don't wanna be critical to a High School kid but it is just the reality.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Maple Grove will get rocked

Hopefully Blaine does the rocking in section 5AA. We've choked the past couple years in section, after getting the #1 seed. I still remember the 2011-2012 section final where Grove beat us 15-1. Michael Brodzinski got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct in the first minute and Maple Grove scored 4 times on that PP. Blaine pretty much gave up after that.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul

I'm a Holy Angels grad. The hate for our hockey team was real haha. Poaching the best public school players, winning like 10 straight conference titles. I think 2010 was the last year they were any good. Undefeated and lost in the 1st round of sections to Burnsville. Haven't been relevant since moving to a real conference.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a Holy Angels grad. The hate for our hockey team was real haha. Poaching the best public school players, winning like 10 straight conference titles. I think 2010 was the last year they were any good. Undefeated and lost in the 1st round of sections to Burnsville. Haven't been relevant since moving to a real conference.

We definitely made a few disparaging signs to hold up in the student section when Holy Angels would come to Prior Lake for football games :laugh:

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
As the end of the regular season is near, it seems it won't be a surprise who plays in the championship in AA this year IMO. LN and Edina will get the 1 + 2 seeds and meet in the finals again.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My top 5 so far for Class AA are:

1. Lakeville North- Class of the field, favorites to win it all.
2. Edina
3. STA
4. Elk River- Jaremko is one of the most dangerous players in the state.
5. Blaine- 10-0-1 since beginning of January with wins over Elk River, BSM, Centennial, Duluth East

Lakeville North will likely be undefeated going into state and be the heavy favorites to win it all.

I don't know about heavy favorites, Edina is right there with them and they've been rolling lately. Those two are definitely head and shoulders above the rest of the pack this year though.

LN has the edge in goal this year but I'll probably still pick the Hornets when the tourney comes around.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone talk high school hockey around here?

I was surprised to hear that Bemidji has not been to the state tournament in 29 years...until I realized they have had to go through Roseau and Moorhead the last 20 years, and Warroad the last 30.

Still though amazing such a big town/city hasn't made it in almost 30 years.

Also was surprised to hear such a storied program as SSP has never won a state tournament...even through the Phil Housley years.

SSP currently has three players in the NHL...does another high school have as many? Roseau? Warroad? Edina?

I'm not sure any one high school has currently any more NHLers than three at the moment.

I'd be interested to find out which HS has the most alumni in the NHL. I would think 3 would be tough to beat. The first other one that came to mind was obviously Edina, but the only one I can think of from Edina would be Anders Lee.

Didn't Paul Martin go to White Bear Lake? That would give WBL at least two, with Martin and Ryan Carter.

Slick Willy*

I was surprised to hear that Bemidji has not been to the state tournament in 29 years...until I realized they have had to go through Roseau and Moorhead the last 20 years, and Warroad the last 30.

Still though amazing such a big town/city hasn't made it in almost 30 years.

Also was surprised to hear such a storied program as SSP has never won a state tournament...even through the Phil Housley years.

SSP currently has three players in the NHL...does another high school have as many? Roseau? Warroad? Edina?

I'm not sure any one high school has currently any more NHLers than three at the moment.

I'd be interested to find out which HS has the most alumni in the NHL. I would think 3 would be tough to beat. The first other one that came to mind was obviously Edina, but the only one I can think of from Edina would be Anders Lee.

Didn't Paul Martin go to White Bear Lake? That would give WBL at least two, with Martin and Ryan Carter.

Martin is a Elk River alum I believe.

Leddy is EP, Okposo Wayzata, Schroeder St. Thomas, Wheeler is Blake or Breck, Byfuglien would have been Roseau - Roseau has Mike Lee in the NHL.

Warroad has two - Oshie and Nelson (that I can think of)

J22*

Martin went to Elk River same as Prosser. Blaine (Bjugstad, Hendricks), WBL (Carter, Braun) Warroad (Oshie, Nelson) and ER are the teams that I can think of that have 2.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hmm, I don't know why I had WBL in my head for Martin.

Who are SSP's 3? Stalock one of them? Just assuming he is because he is Wilcox's cousin, who went to SSP.

Slick Willy*

Hmm, I don't know why I had WBL in my head for Martin.

Who are SSP's 3? Stalock one of them? Just assuming he is because he is Wilcox's cousin, who went to SSP.

Faulk. Stalock. Can't remember the third.

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
Just looking at hockeyhub these are the teams listed with 2...

Blaine, Jefferson, Breck, E.P, Edina, Holy Angels, Moorhead (had 3 until Lee retired in 2014), WBL, and SSP.

The list needs an update as it still has Jamie Langenbrunner still listed as an active player.

Not sure if all the players are on current NHL rosters either, but they are at least in the system.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You can use eliteprospects to search by team too. Has some cool historical data that makes you realize it probably wasn't fun playing against Phil Housley in high school.

Slick Willy*

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe SSP doesn't have three - I don't know.

You can use eliteprospects to search by team too. Has some cool historical data that makes you realize it probably wasn't fun playing against Phil Housley in high school.

There was a crazy stat posted somewhere (a game I was watching or something about teenage defenseman in the NHL) and I could not believe Housley has the most points ever as a teenage defenseman - he even had more points than Bobby Orr!

He truly was/is Minnesota's 'Wayne Gretzky'.

EDIT: found it:

Per the fascinating site quanthockey.com, here’s a look at the greatest age-18 seasons ever by NHL defensemen:
1. Phil Housley, 66 points, 1982-83
2. Bobby Orr, 41 points, 1966-67
3. Jim Benning, 31 points, 1981-82
4. Doug Bodger, 31 points, 1984-85
5. Petr Svboda, 31 points, 1984-85
6. Scott Stevens, 25 points, 1982-83
7. Rick Hampton, 25 points, 1974-75
8. Roman Hamrlik, 21 points, 1992-93
9. Al Iafrate, 21 points, 1984-85
10. Zach Bogosian, 19 points, 2008-09
11. Joe Cirella, 19 points, 1981-82
12. Aaron Ekblad, 18 points, 2014-15

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/a...-have-ever-done-at-age-18-not-even-bobby-orr/

As I said Housley truly is our 'Wayne Gretzky'.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Blaine has Bjugstad and Hendricks playing in the NHL. The Brodzinksi bros. are both draftees still playing in college. On the current team Riley Tufte will get drafted sometime in the 2016 draft. Also Brandon Bochenski is one of the top Americans playing in the KHL. We've have had some pretty good talent over the past decade and a half, but only one title to show for it.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
North won their QF last night 14-0.

Only upset statewide in AA was 5 v 4 game, two of the Rochester's. Century and Mayo. Century won I think.

Wayzata snuck away with a 1-0 W over Hopkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad