OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Section Finals at the Met? Don't recall that, but if true I know I wasn't there.
That link shows that the only Metro section final that wasn't at the Met was Johnson's - I guess they pegged us East Siders as a bunch of low-rent trash who didn't deserve to play in the Big House. :sarcasm:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Anyone here know who the most "Indiana Hoosiers" of all MN high school hockey teams has been through the years?

Maybe a top 5, or top 10 list of most Cinderella small-schools/unlikely schools to have made it to State (and even won it)?

I like looking at those old sections and stuff it really is interesting. The state was so much better back then than it is now, IMO. Small-town USA was still alive and well back then.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Anyone here know who the most "Indiana Hoosiers" of all MN high school hockey teams has been through the years?

Maybe a top 5, or top 10 list of most Cinderella small-schools/unlikely schools to have made it to State (and even won it)?

I like looking at those old sections and stuff it really is interesting. The state was so much better back then than it is now, IMO. Small-town USA was still alive and well back then.
There's days worth of reading on this site- Home

Reactions: Northerner

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Class AA section finals set.
Wednesday
1AA -Lakeville North at Lakeville South
2AA- Minnetonka at Eden Prairie
3AA- Rosemount at St. Thomas
4AA- White Bear Lake at Hill Murray
6AA- Benilde St. Margaret's at Wayzata
7AA- Andover at Grand Rapids

Thursday
5AA- Centennial at Maple Grove
8AA- Moorhead at Roseau

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Well Johnson came out swinging against Gentry (2-3 after the first) but got steamrolled thereafter. A valiant attempt against what some are saying is the best team in the state. Bullshit that a team like that is in single A.

Reactions: GordieGallant

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well Johnson came out swinging against Gentry (2-3 after the first) but got steamrolled thereafter. A valiant attempt against what some are saying is the best team in the state. Bullshit that a team like that is in single A.
It's an age old problem, with no perfect solution.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
First time I missed the 4AA final in at least 20 years. Usually head to Mariucci for 2AA and 6AA final as well. First time in 14 years we won’t be at State.

Saw Gentry Academy play Blake. They are very good. You can tell these guys practice twice a day. Passes right on the tape.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
First time I missed the 4AA final in at least 20 years. Usually head to Mariucci for 2AA and 6AA final as well. First time in 14 years we won’t be at State.

Saw Gentry Academy play Blake. They are very good. You can tell these guys practice twice a day. Passes right on the tape.
Well, they are a hockey school, aren't they? It's not like they are sending students on to Yale to study Elizabethan poetry. They sure as hell better be good at passing.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
If true please put them in section 4AA and give Hill Murray a taste of their own medicine.
No reason whatsoever that those two schools shouldn't be in the same section. only I would feel sorry for WBL as HM has been a thorn in their side going back forever now and they would have to deal with another program that is playing by a different set of rules.

Honestly all these private schools should be in their own tournaments to be honest.

Reactions: GordieGallant

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Minneapolis Edison guy here and it's still kinda sad that the Minneapolis team had to consolidate into one team and still can't even sniff the tournament anymore. So I just watch for fun now and try to find rooting interests where I can.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes. I am sure most of the parents think this is the another stop on little Johnny's march to the NHL. Moorhead's Joe Cullen is the coach.
I ran across them when they were first starting up and playing in summer tournaments against my kid's teams. Seemed kind of creepy to me, but I am old fashioned, I guess, and like the idea of playing for your town.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minneapolis Edison guy here and it's still kinda sad that the Minneapolis team had to consolidate into one team and still can't even sniff the tournament anymore. So I just watch for fun now and try to find rooting interests where I can.
Apparently Minneapolis soccer is where all the athletes have gone.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
I ran across them when they were first starting up and playing in summer tournaments against my kid's teams. Seemed kind of creepy to me, but I am old fashioned, I guess, and like the idea of playing for your town.
I do too. I love to root for the underdog come State. It was awesome the year Grand Rapids won. So fun because our seats are in the low seed end at the X and we got to hang out with the Thunderhawk fans. Fun group!

Last edited:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Not a huge fan of:

A/AA
Twin City Suburbs
Privates

Minnesota HS Hockey has become a game for the priviledged.

Go Grand Rapids!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad