MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
According to Al Iaquinta he has been offered a fight against Dustin Poirier for UFC 236 and that the UFC's plans are for Cowboy/McGregor to fight in the Summer and for Max Holloway to move up to LW and fight Tony Ferguson for the interim title since Khabib isn't expected to return until November.

Holy ****. Thought Max was just selling Wolf Tickets the other day but the battle of the wing tattoos might actually be a thing. Going to be super interesting.

With Stylebender-Gastelum already announced, if these are both true, UFC 236 just went from literally nothing to being stacked within a few days.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know how reliable that report is but that might explain why Poirier is on twitter asking to be released. I think he actually has a legit complaint here and should be the one fighting Ferguson but everyone complaining and no one fighting is getting old.

Holloway vs. Ferguson would be an awesome fight. Really, any combination of those top LWs matching up against each other would be great.

member 51464

It doubly sucks for Poirier because you cannot even offer the winner of Poirier-Al a shot at the title since it would be either Khabib/Conor or Khabib versus the winner of Holloway/Ferguson.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It doubly sucks for Poirier because you cannot even offer the winner of Poirier-Al a shot at the title since it would be either Khabib/Conor or Khabib versus the winner of Holloway/Ferguson.
Potentially even worse. Khabib vs. Tony/Max. That winner vs. Conor (if he beats Cowboy). If Khabib actually sits out until November, we're talking like at least 1.5 until Poirier would be fighting for the title.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I haven't had a problem with any of the champ-champ fights they've done so far. They all made sense in terms of where the divisions were at. But Max jumping up and getting a (interim) title fight just doesn't make much sense. 155 is already a mess. Let it get sorted out a little bit. Do Tony-Poirier for the interim belt, Max-Frankie, Conor-Cowboy, and then see where things are.

On the other hand....fuuuuuuuuuck. Tony-Max is a helluva fight.

I have such mixed feelings.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
My guess is that the UFC wants a "name" to headline the card and Max gives them that, especially given they can promote the whole "potential double champ" aspect of the fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I haven't had a problem with any of the champ-champ fights they've done so far. They all made sense in terms of where the divisions were at. But Max jumping up and getting a (interim) title fight just doesn't make much sense. 155 is already a mess. Let it get sorted out a little bit. Do Tony-Poirier for the interim belt, Max-Frankie, Conor-Cowboy, and then see where things are.

On the other hand....fuuuuuuuuuck. Tony-Max is a helluva fight.

I have such mixed feelings.

I agree with everything here.

Khabib really screwed up their plans - I'd heard Khabib/Ferguson and Max/Edgar was pretty much done.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't really care about the belts at this point because it's clear that the legitimacy surrounding them is questionable at best (at least in terms of the way they're handled).

I just really want to see Max Holloway vs. Tony Ferguson happen, even if it means my boy Edgar has to wait a bit for another title shot. These kind of fights are often let downs...but damn that looks like one of the best ever fights on paper.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is this weekend's card even worth creating a thread for? It's streaming only and I doubt people will be watching. The main event isn't even all that interesting.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Is this weekend's card even worth creating a thread for? It's streaming only and I doubt people will be watching. The main event isn't even all that interesting.
I will likely tune in for the last two fights, I think that main event could be really good if Santos fights completely recklessly like he did last time. But agree it may not be thread-worthy.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There are actually some decent guys on the undercard and I think Yan v Dodson is a pretty interesting fight. I assume it's on TSN still in Canada?

But yeah, likely doesn't need a thread.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
There are actually some decent guys on the undercard and I think Yan v Dodson is a pretty interesting fight. I assume it's on TSN still in Canada?

No I think in Canada it's one of the fights that would've been on FightNetwork in years past, now it's just on FightPass. In the US I think it's televised on ESPN+.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I will likely tune in for the last two fights, I think that main event could be really good if Santos fights completely recklessly like he did last time. But agree it may not be thread-worthy.

I like Santos and both guys have been on a nice little run but it's pretty underwhelming as a main event.

But yeah, likely doesn't need a thread.

Yan is probably the most interesting fighter on the card. He's young and exciting so I hope he wins and keeps moving up the rankings. I want to see that Lineker fight.

As @Peter Griffin said, it's Fight Pass only in Canada. I cancelled a while back too so I'll have to find it afterwards.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'm not sure how Ferguson isn't involved in the interim title fight when he's the most deserving but at least this is a good match up. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Holloway looks at 155.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I'm not sure how Ferguson isn't involved in the interim title fight when he's the most deserving but at least this is a good match up. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Holloway looks at 155.

o_O

That makes even less sense. So now who gets the title fight when Khabib is back? Tony or Max/Poirier? And that's not even considering that the UFC will be pushing for Khabib-Conor if Conor beats Cowboy.

It's not even as good of a fight as Max-Tony IMO, either. Good fight, but not as good as Max-Tony.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
o_O

That makes even less sense. So now who gets the title fight when Khabib is back? Tony or Max/Poirier? And that's not even considering that the UFC will be pushing for Khabib-Conor if Conor beats Cowboy.

It's not even as good of a fight as Max-Tony IMO, either. Good fight, but not as good as Max-Tony.

Ferguson vs. Poirier and Holloway vs. Edgar seemed like the easy choices with what's available. Apparently Ferguson turned it down though......

Reactions: pistolpete11

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
After Tony was stripped and then Colby being denied a title shot despite being interim champ, I can see Tony's hesitations. UFC has proven that the interim title ultimately means nothing. And if Conor/Cowboy does indeed happen, I'll be hard pressed to believe the winner of that fight won't be demanding a shot as well, especially if it's Conor.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Doesn't this kind of leave Ferguson in limbo? All of his logical opponents seem tied up.

Would love to see Ferguson/Gillespie but probably too early for Gregor and if Ferguson turned down Holloway he certainly wont take that one.

Diaz maybe?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
After Tony was stripped and then Colby being denied a title shot despite being interim champ, I can see Tony's hesitations. UFC has proven that the interim title ultimately means nothing. And if Conor/Cowboy does indeed happen, I'll be hard pressed to believe the winner of that fight won't be demanding a shot as well, especially if it's Conor.
They don't really mean anything anymore, but whoever wins, if they are healthy whenever Khabib gets back, I don't see how they don't get the next shot. Especially if it's Max.

I'm not typically one to defend the UFC's matchmaking, but to be fair, both Tony and Colby were hurt when they had their chance. Tony got hurt before the Khabib fight and it was pretty amazing he was able to get on the same card as Khabib-Conor. I don't think they were expecting Tony to be back that soon. Not that they would have given him the title shot over Conor, but...it was defensible IMO. Colby also missed his shot when Woodley fought Till. Not sure exactly how he got skipped over for Usman, but it seems he really pissed off Dana somehow.

I just don't see how Tony can sit out until November and expect the title shot. At that point, he'd have one fight in the previous 2 years. I don't think it's enough to skip over the interim champ.

Doesn't this kind of leave Ferguson in limbo? All of his logical opponents seem tied up.

Would love to see Ferguson/Gillespie but probably too early for Gregor and if Ferguson turned down Holloway he certainly wont take that one.

Diaz maybe?
No chance Gillespie gets a shot at Ferguson. Most people still don't really know who he is.

I was wondering if Tony is angling for a fight with Conor instead. I know people (myself included) have been acting like Conor-Cowboy is definitely happening, but things change. I think Tony is a bad matchup for Conor, so I think Conor would still prefer Cowboy, but it would be an awesome fight.

Tony-Nate would make some sense in terms of making big fights, too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I wonder if Tony is getting Conor? He's pushed a few things on Instagram in the last few days about fighting him. If I'm Conor though I want no part of Tony...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad