MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jon Jones also cleared by NSAC for his next fight. He'll have to take some extra testing all year, but he's good to go for UFC235.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good news all around.

Hopefully now they can start announcing some of these fights and get the division moving. I'd love to actually think about a specific fight instead of going around and around about who could be fighting who next. I also think guys are sitting around because they are hoping to get the next crack at Khabib or Conor. So if they announce those fights and guys like Poirier and Raging Al, for example, don't get those fights, maybe they can fight each other.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In a move that is sure to send shockwaves through the MMA community, the UFC cut ties with a legend.

Artem Lobov has been released.
I will forever be grateful for the memes that Mr. Lobov bestowed upon us. "Choochoo motherf***ers" always gets at least a chuckle out of me.

Officially, the UFC granted him his release, though, part of me believes it was more, "Hey Artem, we're going to release you, but since your a buddy of Conor's, we'll give you a chance to request your release."

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Apparently Khabib isn't going to fight until November and he no longer wants to fight in Nevada. f*** this guy. Tired of these divas holding up lightweight. Worst part is that Tony keeps getting screwed in all of this. At this point I'd love nothing more than to see Tony submit both Conor and Khabib.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Apparently Khabib isn't going to fight until November and he no longer wants to fight in Nevada. **** this guy. Tired of these divas holding up lightweight. Worst part is that Tony keeps getting screwed in all of this. At this point I'd love nothing more than to see Tony submit both Conor and Khabib.
It really is starting to get old. I think the only way to solve it is to start laying down some ground rules with the belt. You don't fight for 6 months, they create an interim belt. You don't fight for a year, they strip you. It doesn't matter if it's because you're hurt, if you're suspended, if you're out partying, if your out doing charity work, if you're boxing, if you're fighting in another division, if you're pouting because your friends were rightfully suspended. Whatever. They can't keep tying up divisions.

Reactions: 1specter

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Fighters overreact and complain all the time so we'll have to see how it actually plays out with Khabib and Poirier, who are doing the overreacting and complaining right now. Hopefully Ferguson will be willing to fight for another interim belt because that'll solve a lot of issues in the short-term. At least Conor seems eager to get back in there.

235 is stacked.

Yeah, that's a great card. Best part is it's only about a month away too.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fighters overreact and complain all the time so we'll have to see how it actually plays out with Khabib and Poirier, who are doing the overreacting and complaining right now. Hopefully Ferguson will be willing to fight for another interim belt because that'll solve a lot of issues in the short-term. At least Conor seems eager to get back in there.
Do interim champs get paid more? Or is the belt really only for show? If it comes with a pay bump, I could see Tony willing to fight for the interim belt again. Otherwise, he might as well wait for Khabib. The exception might be is if it is Conor. He might take that regardless. Don't know if Conor would if it's not for a belt, though.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
That $500k likely converts into barely 5% of what Khabib made that night after PPV points. He'll calm down. Remember how he was going to quit altogether in support of his henchmen? If he truly doesn't want to fight in Vegas, they'll have him fight in LA or New York.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Do interim champs get paid more? Or is the belt really only for show? If it comes with a pay bump, I could see Tony willing to fight for the interim belt again. Otherwise, he might as well wait for Khabib. The exception might be is if it is Conor. He might take that regardless. Don't know if Conor would if it's not for a belt, though.

They end up getting paid more for interim fights because of the Reebok deal.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That $500k likely converts into barely 5% of what Khabib made that night after PPV points. He'll calm down. Remember how he was going to quit altogether in support of his henchmen? If he truly doesn't want to fight in Vegas, they'll have him fight in LA or New York.

I'm pretty sure Conor said the same thing about Vegas when he got fined for throwing water bottles. Sure enough, he was back.

As for 5%, did Khabib get 10 million for that fight? That's a great payday if he did. I thought he would get around half that.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm pretty sure Conor said the same thing about Vegas when he got fined for throwing water bottles. Sure enough, he was back.

As for 5%, did Khabib get 10 million for that fight? That's a great payday if he did. I thought he would get around half that.

I'm spitballing his total fight purse, but UFC typically pays $4-5 per PPV buy if they go over a million. Could be even more because they hit 2.4 million. Sure, Conor was the driver of that, but being the champ, Khabib certainly wasn't taking pennies on the dollar. I also remember someone like Rogan or Ariel mentioning he likely will have made north of $10 million when it was all said and done.

As for Khabib's threats, if he's now saying he's not going to fight until his buddies' suspensions are over (November), then strip him, make Tony/Dustin for the title and Khabib can fight for it when he's ready to fight. End of the day, he did this to himself, so if he wants to suspend himself for longer, keep the division going.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Holly Holm v Aspen Ladd cancelled for UFC235. Have to assume it means Holm v Nunes at UFC236.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My coworker started watching MMA a couple years ago and recently sprung for Fight Pass. He's starting to go through some of the Pride fights now. My memories of Pride aren't as fresh now, but any recommendations I should toss his way?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
My coworker started watching MMA a couple years ago and recently sprung for Fight Pass. He's starting to go through some of the Pride fights now. My memories of Pride aren't as fresh now, but any recommendations I should toss his way?

There are a lot to choose from. Pride 25 and 33 are two really good ones and the 2005 tournament events as well.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, that's a great card. Best part is it's only about a month away too.
All champs or ex-champs in the top four fights with game opponents. Jones likely walks through Smith, but Smith is at least a bit of wild card. Not sure what the lead-off fight is yet but I see three solid options including the Diego - Gall fight. It would be odd if that fight stays on the early prelims.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All champs or ex-champs in the top four fights with game opponents. Jones likely walks through Smith, but Smith is at least a bit of wild card. Not sure what the lead-off fight is yet but I see three solid options including the Diego - Gall fight. It would be odd if that fight stays on the early prelims.
Normally, I think Zabit-Stephens would be the 5th fight on the main card. But I don't know if the prelims are on ESPN and if they will save it as the prelim main event like they did on ESPN+ 1 with Cowboy-Hernandez. You should be able to go to the UFC's website to find out for sure, but they still have Holly-Ladd listed :facepalm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not sure if it's been talked about but a fight I'm low key very interested in is Kron Gracie vs. Alex Caceres.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds like the UFC is leaning towards McGregor v Cerrone for the summer, according to Dana. Would make sense as the Fight Week (July) headliner.

He also said that if Khabib waits until November they will probably have to do an interim title belt. So just do Conor v Cerrone for the interim belt? The issue would be Cerrone isn't really deserving and really jumps the line.

Maybe you do Poirier v Ferguson for the interim belt in April, Cerrone v Conor in the summer, then Khabib v Poirier/Ferguson winner when Khabib is back?

Maybe Iaquinta works in there somwhere.

What a mess.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sounds like the UFC is leaning towards McGregor v Cerrone for the summer, according to Dana. Would make sense as the Fight Week (July) headliner.

He also said that if Khabib waits until November they will probably have to do an interim title belt. So just do Conor v Cerrone for the interim belt? The issue would be Cerrone isn't really deserving and really jumps the line.

Maybe you do Poirier v Ferguson for the interim belt in April, Cerrone v Conor in the summer, then Khabib v Poirier/Ferguson winner when Khabib is back?

Maybe Iaquinta works in there somwhere.

What a mess.
Problem is if Conor wins. They are going to want him to fight for the belt. If he fights in July, wins, then has to wait for Khabib vs. Tony/Poirier in November, Conor wouldn't fight again until like March 2020 at the earliest.

This could all be avoided if Khabib wasn't being such a 'loyal friend'. I get what Conor did with the dolly was worse, but the commission had no power over that since Conor wasn't licensed in NY. His buddies were in NV and what they did was pretty terrible, too. The UFC can't really do anything about the NSAC, so suck it up, do the stupid PSA, and get this division moving. Even if he wants to take a stand by not doing the PSA, he doesn't need to sit out until November.

Ideally, Khabib does the stupid PSA and they can do Khabib vs. Tony ASAP. If not, do Tony vs. Poirier for the interim belt ASAP. Conor vs. Cowboy in July. Khabib vs. Tony/Poirier when his suspension is up in July. If Conor wins, you do Khabib vs. Conor in October/November. If Cowboy wins, maybe in the meantime you do Al vs. the loser of Tony vs. Poirier. If Al wins, I'd give him the shot. If the loser of Tony/Poirier wins, give the shot to Cowboy. But there is no reason to sit out until November in my eyes.

Edit: Although, I guess some of that depends on if Tony would do another interim fight after what happened the last time.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Having Conor fight Cerrone for the interim belt is absolutely perfect for the UFC. Very sellable fight, and a very winnable fight for Conor. And if we're to believe Cowboy's tweet we're gonna get it. One would imagine on their big July card.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Having Conor fight Cerrone for the interim belt is absolutely perfect for the UFC. Very sellable fight, and a very winnable fight for Conor. And if we're to believe Cowboy's tweet we're gonna get it. One would imagine on their big July card.

The only issue is that Cerrone isn't even ranked in the top 5 of the division and I don't really remember the UFC granting interim title shots to guys that low before. If they're going to do an interim title fight involving Conor it should be with Ferguson or even Poirier.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The only issue is that Cerrone isn't even ranked in the top 5 of the division and I don't really remember the UFC granting interim title shots to guys that low before. If they're going to do an interim title fight involving Conor it should be with Ferguson or even Poirier.
Oh no question. Ferguson especially. The appeal with Cerrone, as you know, is it's probably the most sellable fight, and also likely the most winnable fight. A rematch with Poirier, while certainly winnable, won't draw what Cerrone does, and while Ferguson could, there's legitimate risk that Conor loses. We all know how badly the UFC wants a Khabib rematch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->