MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hopefully title shot is next for Zabit.

Yeah, I wonder what the plan is there. I assume they will let Holloway hold two belts at once and then maybe he'll leave 145lbs for good. Zabit v Edgar & Aldo v Ortega?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, I wonder what the plan is there. I assume they will let Holloway hold two belts at once and then maybe he'll leave 145lbs for good. Zabit v Edgar & Aldo v Ortega?
Max has got to defend the 145lb belt in between the interim 155lb belt and a potential fight with Khabib, right? They shouldn't let him leave the division for that long.

So, if they can do Zabit-Edgar soon, they could have the winner fight Max in like July and Max (assuming he beats Poirier and barring injury) could be ready to fight Khabib in November/December.

Not sure if there's enough time to get in Frankie-Zabit, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Max has got to defend the 145lb belt in between the interim 155lb belt and a potential fight with Khabib, right? They shouldn't let him leave the division for that long.

So, if they can do Zabit-Edgar soon, they could have the winner fight Max in like July and Max (assuming he beats Poirier and barring injury) could be ready to fight Khabib in November/December.

I don't know if Max is coming back to 145lbs. I would guess he's probably not.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully title shot is next for Zabit.

I think Zabit needs at least one more win before getting a title shot. I know the rankings aren't great but they still use them and he's probably not even in the top five after beating Stephens. He also isn't a well known name and needs a big win on his resume. One issue here is that Frankie and Zabit train together and most likely aren't going to fight so they might have to go in a different direction with both of them.

Aldo vs. Volkanovski has been talked about so if that happens, that would leave Ortega, Frankie, Zabit, and Moicano as the others at the top of the division. Ortega vs. Zabit? Yair is ranked lower but they've tried to book him and Zabit a few times previously.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Zabit needs at least one more win before getting a title shot. I know the rankings aren't great but they still use them and he's probably not even in the top five after beating Stephens. He also isn't a well known name and needs a big win on his resume. One issue here is that Frankie and Zabit train together and most likely aren't going to fight so they might have to go in a different direction with both of them.

Aldo vs. Volkanovski has been talked about so if that happens, that would leave Ortega, Frankie, Zabit, and Moicano as the others at the top of the division. Ortega vs. Zabit? Yair is ranked lower but they've tried to book him and Zabit a few times previously.
Didn't know Zabit and Frankie trained together. Too bad. Frankie would be a good matchup for him.

Maybe Aldo then? Those are the 2 guys that you can really prove yourself against in the division with big enough names to get more name recognition.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Since it's on topic, Aldo v Volkanovski official for UFC237.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Costa is out of his fight with Romero at UFC on ESPN3. Jacare v Romero is the new main event.

I'm looking forward to November when the UFC announces Khabib v Ferguson with Romero v Costa as the co-main. Just go all-in on fights that seem like they will never actually happen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ferguson posted something about being in great shape and keeping his weight low so he can step in in case someone has to pull out of the Holloway/Poirier fight...

Tony's the type of guy to refuse a fight and then offer to be the the replacement on the same fight. (Stolen)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Speaking of Ferguson, some rumours out there that he's involved in some domestic issues. Not sure how much is true, but he's a bit different of a guy so who knows.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Speaking of Ferguson, some rumours out there that he's involved in some domestic issues. Not sure how much is true, but he's a bit different of a guy so who knows.
From what I read, it sounds like Tony has lost his mind. And not in a funny, crazy "I'm a turtle" kind of way. Like a scary way. Like he thinks somebody is in his walls and that someone put a computer chip in his arm. I think his wife filed for a restraining order, but luckily, I don't think there was any allegations of domestic violence against her or their kid even though this has been going on for a over a year (allegedly).

Hopefully Tony gets better, but as much as I want to see Khabib-Tony, I'm not sure Tony should be getting hit in the head any more.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Costa is out of his fight with Romero at UFC on ESPN3. Jacare v Romero is the new main event.

I'm looking forward to November when the UFC announces Khabib v Ferguson with Romero v Costa as the co-main. Just go all-in on fights that seem like they will never actually happen.
Romero alleged that Costa got flagged by USADA. If true, you can file that under the least surprising bust of 2019.

Romero-Jacare could be a great fight, although I don't remember their first fight being all that entertaining. Jacare lost by split decision, but I thought he deserved to win.

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
From what I read, it sounds like Tony has lost his mind. And not in a funny, crazy "I'm a turtle" kind of way. Like a scary way. Like he thinks somebody is in his walls and that someone put a computer chip in his arm. I think his wife filed for a restraining order, but luckily, I don't think there was any allegations of domestic violence against her or their kid even though this has been going on for a over a year (allegedly).

Hopefully Tony gets better, but as much as I want to see Khabib-Tony, I'm not sure Tony should be getting hit in the head any more.

Sounds like he's bipolar

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That's a big change for those in the US and it'll be interesting to see how it impacts buys. The story also says UFC and ESPN have already extended their rights deal for two additional years. They must like how things have gone in the first three months of the deal.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

That's a big change for those in the US and it'll be interesting to see how it impacts buys. The story also says UFC and ESPN have already extended their rights deal for two additional years. They must like how things have gone in the first three months of the deal.

It's a step away from the PPV model, so that's good. Not sure it changes much up here in Canada.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I watched the intervene with Dana White from today and he touched on the ESPN+ stuff a bit. He was very clear that this new PPV move will be good for fans, so I think there will be some changes to the pricing structure at some point. The main takeaway I got was just how rigid the PPV model was and now in terms of pricing/sales/bundles they can move things around a bit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's a step away from the PPV model, so that's good. Not sure it changes much up here in Canada.

Yeah, no change for Canada.

I watched the intervene with Dana White from today and he touched on the ESPN+ stuff a bit. He was very clear that this new PPV move will be good for fans, so I think there will be some changes to the pricing structure at some point. The main takeaway I got was just how rigid the PPV model was and now in terms of pricing/sales/bundles they can move things around a bit.

They're saying all the right things so hopefully they follow through for the fans with some of those bundles. Ultimately they can do whatever they want but requiring an ESPN+ subscription in order to spend $70 on a PPV wouldn't be cool unless there's a deal/discount somewhere in there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

This wouldn't be a bad time to do the trilogy. Other top LWs are already scheduled/unavailable and this is a fight we know Nate will be motivated to come back for. Conor could also use a big win after how things have gone for him both in and out of the cage lately. The only fight I don't want to see for Conor is an immediate rematch with Khabib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad