MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The only issue is that Cerrone isn't even ranked in the top 5 of the division and I don't really remember the UFC granting interim title shots to guys that low before. If they're going to do an interim title fight involving Conor it should be with Ferguson or even Poirier.

Since when is the UFC in the business of giving championship fights to those who've actually earned them? That said, Dana has said that he feels Khabib's next fight should be against Tony, so really it's only Poirier that's slighted somewhat. Maybe that fight against Nate Diaz happens now?

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So UFC236 is only two months away and they have no official venue and one single fight scheduled. The plan from what I was hearing was Khabib/Ferguson with Max/Edgar in the co-main for a card in Brooklyn. Now with Khabib out, will be interesting what they switch to.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So UFC236 is only two months away and they have no official venue and one single fight scheduled. The plan from what I was hearing was Khabib/Ferguson with Max/Edgar in the co-main for a card in Brooklyn. Now with Khabib out, will be interesting what they switch to.

Conor/Cowboy if that event takes place in New York? Although I think they're looking to do that fight in the summer and probably in Vegas. Max/Edgar is a PPV worthy main event IMO though. Maybe they do TJ/Cejudo re-match in the co-main if that's the fight they're doing next for those two?

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Conor/Cowboy if that event takes place in New York? Although I think they're looking to do that fight in the summer and probably in Vegas. Max/Edgar is a PPV worthy main event IMO though. Maybe they do TJ/Cejudo re-match in the co-main if that's the fight they're doing next for those two?
I think they'd want more time for the build up for Conor-Cowboy.

TJ-Cejudo or Max-Frankie would be good options. Still need to fill the card though.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's almost like they don't care about PPVs and just want to please ESPN.

UFC235 is great (as of now) and the rumor is they are loading up UFC237 with some big fights (multiple title fights, Aldo, Silva, etc) so we'll see. Obviously this weekend's card was dreadful, but hopefully it's not a trend.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
UFC235 is great (as of now) and the rumor is they are loading up UFC237 with some big fights (multiple title fights, Aldo, Silva, etc) so we'll see. Obviously this weekend's card was dreadful, but hopefully it's not a trend.
Yeah, I know. Even if UFC 235 doesn't make it to fight night, the UFC did their job. Now it's up to the fighters to stay healthy and make weight.

But they've already cancelled UFC 233. Might as well have cancelled UFC 234. And need to do some serious work to not cancel UFC 236. Not off to a great start with the PPVs in 2019.

And then you look at these ESPN cards and they are awesome. TJ-Cejudo. Cowboy-Hernandez. Aldo-Moicano. Moraes- Assucao. Francis-Cain. Felder-Vick. Rivera-Sterling. Stephens-Zabit (edit: technically a PPV fight I guess. It is the prelim main event for UFC 235). Blachowicz-Santos. There's other fights, too, that might be weak PPV main card fights, but would still be better than what they had at UFC 234.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Holloway vs. Edgar would be a good start for UFC 236. Is that too soon for Gastelum vs. Adesanya for an interim belt?

UFC saving a bunch of good fights for 237 in May might hurt 236 and it's also sandwiched between Barboza vs. Gaethje, Overeem vs. Volkov, and possibly Romero vs. Costa, which are all PPV level fights. I'd like to see what they actually do with 236 first before complaining but like we've been saying for a long time now, there are too many events.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Holloway vs. Edgar would be a good start for UFC 236. Is that too soon for Gastelum vs. Adesanya for an interim belt?

UFC saving a bunch of good fights for 237 in May might hurt 236 and it's also sandwiched between Barboza vs. Gaethje, Overeem vs. Volkov, and possibly Romero vs. Costa, which are all PPV level fights. I'd like to see what they actually do with 236 first before complaining but like we've been saying for a long time now, there are too many events.
Stylebender vs. Gastelum would be a good fight for UFC 236. Stylebender vs. Anderson looked more like a sparring match, so I don't see why he couldn't have a quick turnaround. Especially if it's for the interim belt. Otherwise, he'd probably have to wait for Whittaker-Gastelum to fight for the real belt. Once you start adding in injuries/recovery, training camps, etc. it could be a while before he'd fight again unless he wanted to take a non-title fight to stay active in the meantime.

I guess they can pull something together, but it's 2 months away. That's already on the short side for a training camp.

Is Romero-Costa actually happening? It seems like that fight has been rumored for 5 different cards over the last year.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, I know. Even if UFC 235 doesn't make it to fight night, the UFC did their job. Now it's up to the fighters to stay healthy and make weight.

But they've already cancelled UFC 233. Might as well have cancelled UFC 234. And need to do some serious work to not cancel UFC 236. Not off to a great start with the PPVs in 2019.

And then you look at these ESPN cards and they are awesome. TJ-Cejudo. Cowboy-Hernandez. Aldo-Moicano. Moraes- Assucao. Francis-Cain. Felder-Vick. Rivera-Sterling. Stephens-Zabit (edit: technically a PPV fight I guess. It is the prelim main event for UFC 235). Blachowicz-Santos. There's other fights, too, that might be weak PPV main card fights, but would still be better than what they had at UFC 234.

Having "PPV level" fights isn't something new with this ESPN deal though, they've usually had pretty good main events for the free cards and some good co-mains as well. If anything, this first ESPN card is kind of weak.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stylebender vs. Gastelum would be a good fight for UFC 236. Stylebender vs. Anderson looked more like a sparring match, so I don't see why he couldn't have a quick turnaround. Especially if it's for the interim belt. Otherwise, he'd probably have to wait for Whittaker-Gastelum to fight for the real belt. Once you start adding in injuries/recovery, training camps, etc. it could be a while before he'd fight again unless he wanted to take a non-title fight to stay active in the meantime.

I guess they can pull something together, but it's 2 months away. That's already on the short side for a training camp.

Is Romero-Costa actually happening? It seems like that fight has been rumored for 5 different cards over the last year.

Yeah, that fight makes sense around that time if both guys are up for it. The last thing they should be doing is trying to rush Whittaker back based on his injury history. Do the interim title fight in April and then the winner vs. Whittaker sometime in the summer.

Romero vs. Costa is rumoured for the Miami card on ESPN but it's not confirmed.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, that fight makes sense around that time if both guys are up for it. The last thing they should be doing is trying to rush Whittaker back based on his injury history. Do the interim title fight in April and then the winner vs. Whittaker sometime in the summer.

Romero vs. Costa is rumoured for the Miami card on ESPN but it's not confirmed.
As Dana's been saying a lot lately, "When opportunity knocks." I could see both taking the opportunity, but if one doesn't, all it takes is for a Jacare or a Wideman to take it instead.

I know, but I feel like we've heard that before with Romero and Costa :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Having "PPV level" fights isn't something new with this ESPN deal though, they've usually had pretty good main events for the free cards and some good co-mains as well. If anything, this first ESPN card is kind of weak.
True, but I think TJ-Cejudo and Cain-Francis are bigger fights than usual. Even Aldo-Moicano was pretty big for a free card.

It all comes back to there being too many cards.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not the most exciting final 2 fights on Bellator. Nelson/Crocop was just terrible and MVP/Daley wasn't much better. Good execution and gameplan by Daley but I had MVP winning rounds 1,4 & 5 for the 48-47 win.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Some interesting stuff after the fights.

- Dana said that they already have a fight lined up for DC and it's not Francis. They are just waiting for DC to get healthy to announce it. It's gotta be Brock, right?

- In the octagon Cain made it seem like he got clipped. In the post fight presser, Cain said it was his knee that gave out. I think both are true. The uppercut cut off his legs for a second, his knee gave out, and it was over. If his knee was OK, he was still there and could have recovered. So not really a true KO.

- I didn't realize that Nate was in Kron's corner. There's video of Dana being interviewed by Megan Olivi and Nate runs into them backstage. It's pretty funny :laugh:

- I don't see it happening, but Schaub said he would make these fights:
DC - Jones at HW
Brock -Francis
Cain - Stipe
Blaydes - Lewis/JDS

I think DC gets Brock, but those would be some damn good fights.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
UFC236 in April, Adesanya v Gastelum for the interim belt.

That's exactly what I was hoping they'd do. It's the perfect fight to make and the interim title actually makes sense. Let Whittaker heal up and get the winner in the summer. Still nothing official on the location but the rumour is it's going to be Atlanta.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Brock is going to get steamrolled by whoever he fights. He shouldn't even be getting the fights but...…..money.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
According to Al Iaquinta he has been offered a fight against Dustin Poirier for UFC 236 and that the UFC's plans are for Cowboy/McGregor to fight in the Summer and for Max Holloway to move up to LW and fight Tony Ferguson for the interim title since Khabib isn't expected to return until November.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Holy shit. Thought Max was just selling Wolf Tickets the other day but the battle of the wing tattoos might actually be a thing. Going to be super interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->