MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
you’re absolutely correct, my b

there’s some scuttlebutt on the Internet that they might try for Zabit vs Ortega at 249 as well, dont quite trust the sources on that front yet tho
No problem. There's been a lot of fights getting moved around, so it's understandable.

Ortega-Zabit would be awesome. UFC 249 is must watch for Khabib-Tony alone, but there's some other good fights on there as well. Adding one more would really give it a great main card.

Reactions: CDJ

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No problem. There's been a lot of fights getting moved around, so it's understandable.

Ortega-Zabit would be awesome. UFC 249 is must watch for Khabib-Tony alone, but there's some other good fights on there as well. Adding one more would really give it a great main card.

Given how exciting of a fighter Zabit is, I'm really surprised he's not being rushed into a title fight

If he beats Ortega, his next bout should definitely be for the strap

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cannonier seems like a genuinely nice dude

I think I'm gonna root for him going forward

Agreed, seems incredibly genuine. Hard not to like him. Dudes big into crystals/stones like a hippie and hits like he’s got cement hands, I love it. Just an interesting fella

Seems like they’ve remade Overeem vs Walt Harris. Bless Harris and his family, hopefully he gets a warm reception by the crowd

member 51464

Cannonier seems like a genuinely nice dude

I think I'm gonna root for him going forward
I think you will be pleased with the outcome here, then. I think Till seems like a good dude, but he got posterized in two of his last three and I think Cannonier is going to be a hell of a lot more trouble than Kelvin was.

But who knows, I think Till has shown a decent fight IQ, and maybe his defense has continued to improve. Even in his last victory, his head movement or lack thereof had me expecting the worst a few times.

Either way, should be a solid fight!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Great matchup, can't wait to see this.

Very interesting match up.

I like it for Gregor. Coming off that nasty head kick KO, it's probably a good idea to get back in there against a grappling heavy opponent. He'll have to answer to a striker at some point, but he doesn't have to do it right away.

I like it for Islam, too. I don't know why the UFC didn't want to make Islam vs. Lee, but Gregor is for sure a step up in competition. Maybe they are trying to take it a little slower before throwing him to someone like Lee?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Very interesting match up.

I like it for Gregor. Coming off that nasty head kick KO, it's probably a good idea to get back in there against a grappling heavy opponent. He'll have to answer to a striker at some point, but he doesn't have to do it right away.

I like it for Islam, too. I don't know why the UFC didn't want to make Islam vs. Lee, but Gregor is for sure a step up in competition. Maybe they are trying to take it a little slower before throwing him to someone like Lee?

Lee already has a fight booked in March so they can always fight later this year. If both guys win or both guys lose it still makes sense. If Lee loses and Islam wins it probably makes sense too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I can't help but feel like it partially has to do with Khabib. Islam and Khabib won't be fighting each other ever, and if Lee can secure another solid W he may be close to a title shot or eliminator. If they push Islam vs Lee and Islam wins it could throw a wrench into their plans and make the dynamic of the division weird.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Lee already has a fight booked in March so they can always fight later this year. If both guys win or both guys lose it still makes sense. If Lee loses and Islam wins it probably makes sense too.
Lee and Islam were going back and forth before Lee was booked. Both said they wanted the fight, but the UFC wouldn't make it for some reason.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I can't help but feel like it partially has to do with Khabib. Islam and Khabib won't be fighting each other ever, and if Lee can secure another solid W he may be close to a title shot or eliminator. If they push Islam vs Lee and Islam wins it could throw a wrench into their plans and make the dynamic of the division weird.
There's no shortage of challengers to fight Khabib, so I don't think they need to protect Lee from Islam in order to setup a fight with Khabib. If Lee loses, oh well. There will be someone else by the time Khabib fights Tony, Conor, Gaethje, etc. Shit by the time Khabib gets through all of those guys (IF he gets through those guys), Lee could be back in title contention even if he were to lose to Islam.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Lee and Islam were going back and forth before Lee was booked. Both said they wanted the fight, but the UFC wouldn't make it for some reason.

Yes, but it could be as simple as the UFC needing a headline fight for the Brazil card. Lee/Oliveira works for that, Lee/Islam doesn't.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Juan Adams, Junior Albini, Brandon Davis, Grigorii Popov, Ben Saunders (hang em up, great career), Jin Soo Son, Daniel Spitz, and kalindra faria

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gregor is an interesting cat, I like him too. Hopefully he gets his momentum back, a win against Makhachev would definitely do it

Side note I don’t think him losing to Lee is a big deal. I think Lee will be a champion with Zahabi as his coach. Hell if he didn’t have staph he probably beats Ferguson

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just noticed this but Angela Hill took a short notice fight for next week. This is notable because she’s going to be the first fighter to go twice in 2020. If she can viciously finish this one off she may start getting some hype

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Looking forward to this fight. Glad to have Werdum back, wonder what he has left.

I think they have over 100 fights between the two of them. Should hopefully be an interesting grapple off.

I don’t think either have a chin anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad