Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jimmie Rivera and Dhiego Lima both withdrew from 247

sucks about Rivera

They made Brunson vs Shahbazyan at 248

Abdurakhimov vs Gane on the Tony-Khabib card

Anthony Smith vs Glover is going to headline a fight night

Aldo vs Cejudo is targeted for Ufc 250 in Brazil

Really interested in Shahbazyan. Brunson is a good step-up.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cyborg won last night if anybody cares. Honestly outside of Nunes that’s probably her best competition

Cyborg looked good, but I expected more from Julia Budd. She was completely outclassed and looked awful.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cyborg looked good, but I expected more from Julia Budd. She was completely outclassed and looked awful.

yeah, and I think she’d been champion for 3 years lol

not a lot of talent at that weight class in any promotion really

member 51464

It's been a nice break from the King of Cringe. At least we'll get to see how he reacts to the Brazilians chanting that he will die, haha.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Team Khabib lays out special ruleset for possible Floyd Mayweather fight

Is anyone else getting sick of all this boxing crossover crap yet? Also, why would Mayweather do this? No shot. But even if he did agree, all he'd have to do is beat Khabib's ass and KO him before the last round.
Yes.

And especially for champs like Khabib or Stipe (who's talked about boxing Fury) or when Conor fought Floyd. If you want to get your head beat in in a sport that you don't belong, then let's at least not hold up an entire division while you do it.

And especially, especially champs who only fight once a year as is like Khabib and Stipe.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yes.

And especially for champs like Khabib or Stipe (who's talked about boxing Fury) or when Conor fought Floyd. If you want to get your head beat in in a sport that you don't belong, then let's at least not hold up an entire division while you do it.

And especially, especially champs who only fight once a year as is like Khabib and Stipe.

I personally cant fault them for trying to cross over. Its not pretty when they do like Mac vs Floyd. But they are trying to maximize their profits while their careers are at their peak and while they have huge interest/fanbase. At some point they need to think about themselves and their family. would you rather make money that may last a generation or two ………. or take one year off MMA to get that paycheck that doubles your career earnings and sets up the next three or four generations.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I personally cant fault them for trying to cross over. Its not pretty when they do like Mac vs Floyd. But they are trying to maximize their profits while their careers are at their peak and while they have huge interest/fanbase. At some point they need to think about themselves and their family. would you rather make money that may last a generation or two ………. or take one year off MMA to get that paycheck that doubles your career earnings and sets up the next three or four generations.
They can try to do whatever they want, but they are under contract with the UFC. The UFC doesn't have to let them go to boxing and/or they could strip them of the title if they do let them.

Also, I don't think all these UFC guys are getting $100M to go to boxing like Conor did. And at some point, the novelty would wear off completely. They somehow tricked people into thinking Conor had a chance against Floyd, but eventually people are going to realize "Oh, the guys that dedicate their entire life to becoming the best of the best at one skill are going to be better than the guys that do it part time."

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
They can try to do whatever they want, but they are under contract with the UFC. The UFC doesn't have to let them go to boxing and/or they could strip them of the title if they do let them.

Also, I don't think all these UFC guys are getting $100M to go to boxing like Conor did. And at some point, the novelty would wear off completely. They somehow tricked people into thinking Conor had a chance against Floyd, but eventually people are going to realize "Oh, the guys that dedicate their entire life to becoming the best of the best at one skill are going to be better than the guys that do it part time."

absolutely the UFC could strip them of their title but it ultimately comes down to a financial decision for the fighter. Lets use Khabib for example. Beats Tony and he decides to do this Floyd fight and the UFC strips him of his title. Khabib gets his ass handed to him by Floyd and then wants to come back to the UFC to reclaim his title. Do you think Dana is going to say no to a 29-0 fighter?

Yup they will not make Mac money in boxing but these guys also dont make Mac money in the UFC. so even doubling what they have made career wise in MMA would be pretty financially luring.

im just playing devils advocate here and respect your point of view as well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I understand it if they're getting a big payday like Conor did. But as mentioned, that won't happen with 99% of guys. You kind of need the perfect storm of transcendent stars in both sports to make it work, and there are very few that qualify as that.

I think with a ton it these guys it's just something they say but when they actually crunch the numbers it's a bad financial move and will never actually do it.

Reactions: LSCII

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well to be fair, he said 11 rounds of boxing and 1 of MMA, but didn't say in what order. ;)

I just find it laughable that Khabbib thinks he's the A side if they were to fight. Aside from his fight against McGregor, I'd bet most casual MMA fans haven't seen him fight, let alone boxing fans. If you're not the A side, you need the other guy more than he needs you. Mayweather doesn't need to cow tow to "demands" from a lesser known guy than McGregor. At least McGregor at the time of his boxing match, transcended MMA and everyone knew who he was.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
absolutely the UFC could strip them of their title but it ultimately comes down to a financial decision for the fighter. Lets use Khabib for example. Beats Tony and he decides to do this Floyd fight and the UFC strips him of his title. Khabib gets his ass handed to him by Floyd and then wants to come back to the UFC to reclaim his title. Do you think Dana is going to say no to a 29-0 fighter?

Yup they will not make Mac money in boxing but these guys also dont make Mac money in the UFC. so even doubling what they have made career wise in MMA would be pretty financially luring.

im just playing devils advocate here and respect your point of view as well.
The UFC has more power than just stripping them. They are under contract and I can all but guarantee that it is in their contract that they aren't allowed to fight in another promotion, including boxing. Shit, I don't think they are even allowed to do WWE without the UFC's permission.

You're right that other fighters aren't making Conor money in the UFC either, but I think we can all agree it is not good for the UFC to tie up one of their champions (especially in a division like LW) for the better part of a year just to watch him go get his ass kicked in another sport. The UFC's cut of the revenue would have to make it worth it and no other UFC fighter is coming close to generating Conor revenue in MMA or boxing. So I don't think the UFC would let them do it.

If they did and they stripped them, the fighter wouldn't be champion when they come back to the UFC, so even if they did get an immediate title shot, they wouldn't be making as much money as their previous MMA fight. They probably wouldn't do it to a 29-0 Khabib, but they could make it even more difficult on them if they wanted to and say they even have to take another fight before they get the title shot since they were out for so long.

So there's a lot of hurdles to jump to make something like that work out. Everybody knows and kind of accepts Conor is an exception given how much money he generates. But if you let other guys do it, I think it's opening a big can of worms. So as @m9 said, it's probably not ever going to happen for 99% of the the UFC fighters, which makes it even more annoying that they keep talking about it.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The UFC has more power than just stripping them. They are under contract and I can all but guarantee that it is in their contract that they aren't allowed to fight in another promotion, including boxing. ****, I don't think they are even allowed to do WWE without the UFC's permission.

You're right that other fighters aren't making Conor money in the UFC either, but I think we can all agree it is not good for the UFC to tie up one of their champions (especially in a division like LW) for the better part of a year just to watch him go get his ass kicked in another sport. The UFC's cut of the revenue would have to make it worth it and no other UFC fighter is coming close to generating Conor revenue in MMA or boxing. So I don't think the UFC would let them do it.

If they did and they stripped them, the fighter wouldn't be champion when they come back to the UFC, so even if they did get an immediate title shot, they wouldn't be making as much money as their previous MMA fight. They probably wouldn't do it to a 29-0 Khabib, but they could make it even more difficult on them if they wanted to and say they even have to take another fight before they get the title shot since they were out for so long.

So there's a lot of hurdles to jump to make something like that work out. Everybody knows and kind of accepts Conor is an exception given how much money he generates. But if you let other guys do it, I think it's opening a big can of worms. So as @m9 said, it's probably not ever going to happen for 99% of the the UFC fighters, which makes it even more annoying that they keep talking about it.

I should have elaborated. What I meant by reclaiming his title was as in fighting to regain it upon return.

While I agree that it is not good for the UFC as a business to tie up one of their fighters in a money fight, I also dont see the issue if Khabib finishes out his fight contract and is still champion and then decides to fight Floyd in boxing as the UFC probably wont be willing to match the potential earnings of the boxing match.

I personally dont think any of these prize fights will happen though but I am not against an MMA athlete going after a more lucrative purse. I also agree that 99% of the UFC fighters would not be a draw. the only exception right now is Khabib but with the rule he threw out the other day about 1 round of MMA it is an indication that he probably doesn't want any of Floyd.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Jimmie Rivera and Dhiego Lima both withdrew from 247

sucks about Rivera

They made Brunson vs Shahbazyan at 248

Abdurakhimov vs Gane on the Tony-Khabib card

Anthony Smith vs Glover is going to headline a fight night

Aldo vs Cejudo is targeted for Ufc 250 in Brazil

I still can't believe that is happening. Go to a different division, lose, and you get a title shot! Especially as there is genuine competition and candidates for a title shot in that division.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Team Khabib lays out special ruleset for possible Floyd Mayweather fight

Is anyone else getting sick of all this boxing crossover crap yet? Also, why would Mayweather do this? No shot. But even if he did agree, all he'd have to do is beat Khabib's ass and KO him before the last round.
Beyond sick of it. That said, this stipulation, and I have no doubt the MMA round would be round 12, would add a layer that could make that fight REAL interesting. Don't get me wrong I don't think it gets there, but after about round 6 those rounds might be the most exciting we've seen from Floyd ever. Granted he doesn't agree to these terms in a million years, but...

The other idea that I liked was Crawford offered a two fight deal, one in MMA and one in boxing. That's certainly reasonable.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I think the last round is irrelevant tbh, Floyd would get him out of there before then

Floyd was always fighting backing up, ect. I'm not sure he wants to stand there and trade and it really depends on Khabib's conditioning, something Connor struggled with. I think Connor on fight night was 20 pounds heavier than Floyd.

Anyways, these fights are not all that interesting as the MMA guy is at a considerable disadvantage.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Khabib isn't even a decent boxer for MMA, much less competing against the top tier of actual boxers. He would get thoroughly embarrassed in there against Mayweather.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Khabib isn't even a decent boxer for MMA, much less competing against the top tier of actual boxers. He would get thoroughly embarrassed in there against Mayweather.
bUt He KnOcKeD cOnOr DoWn WiTh ThAt RiGhT hAnD!

(Not that anyone here is making that argument, but I've heard it so many times and it makes me so mad :laugh:)

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm fine with MMA fighters taking on boxers under boxing rules, I just think they should be wearing MMA gloves when they do it

That would make it far more interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad