MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
bUt He KnOcKeD cOnOr DoWn WiTh ThAt RiGhT hAnD!

(Not that anyone here is making that argument, but I've heard it so many times and it makes me so mad :laugh:)

gotta love people who don’t understand that Conor had to worry about being taken down by arguably the greatest grappler in MMA history while Floyd would not

khabib would probably gas out somewhere around round 8 and Floyd would probably do the exact same thing that he did to Conor (tune him up but not drop him, resulting in the ref stepping in)

Floyd doesn’t hit that hard anymore, he’s just impossible to land on in any sort of significant way. It kind of makes it an easy decision for the MMA fighter. You’re probably not going to take significant damage facing Floyd....you’ll lose but you’ll get paid more than you’ve ever been paid and will feel fine afterwards. And when you lose everybody is like “yeah well no shit”. It’s basically a no-risk scenario for these MMA fighters

and then if a blind squirrel finds a nut and one of them somehow wins.....oh boy. Never gonna happen unless Floyd takes a fight at age 65 but my goodness whoever beats him would be the hottest athlete on the planet for awhile

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm fine with MMA fighters taking on boxers under boxing rules, I just think they should be wearing MMA gloves when they do it

That would make it far more interesting

The best would be 1 boxing match, 1 mma. There is no way Floyd or any of these boxing elites would agree to it.

I’d buy the PPV right now for Khabib vs Floyd MMA. No one better I’d love to see Khabib maul

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Rousey apparently still thinks she’s the greatest female fighter of all time

Rousey: No pressure to prove she's best ever

Most impactful? By far. The greatest? Probably not even top 3. I have her at 5 behind Nunes, cyborg, shevchenko, and holm.

Greatest is such a relative term because no matter how good you are, someone always comes along that will beat you. Anderson Silva was incredible for so long and it looked like he'd never lose. Now though? He's a shell of himself and he can't buy a win. BJ Penn too. Does that mean those guys were frauds? Not at all. It means the sport is still so young that it's ever evolving and kids come up and make the stars of years gone by look terrible in comparison. It's the nature of sport, which is why it's so hard to boil it down to one name or one team. In the early era of women's fighting for UFC and MMA in general, Rousey was the best. Then someone came along and she wasn't. Just like someone will come along and thump Nunes. It won't invalidate her run either, just like losing to Holm didn't wreck Rousey's legacy.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Greatest is such a relative term because no matter how good you are, someone always comes along that will beat you. Anderson Silva was incredible for so long and it looked like he'd never lose. Now though? He's a shell of himself and he can't buy a win. BJ Penn too. Does that mean those guys were frauds? Not at all. It means the sport is still so young that it's ever evolving and kids come up and make the stars of years gone by look terrible in comparison. It's the nature of sport, which is why it's so hard to boil it down to one name or one team. In the early era of women's fighting for UFC and MMA in general, Rousey was the best. Then someone came along and she wasn't. Just like someone will come along and thump Nunes. It won't invalidate her run either, just like losing to Holm didn't wreck Rousey's legacy.

I definitely agree with what you’re saying in general but Ronda was so one-dimensional. It’s the only dimension she needed when women’s MMA was in its fledgling state but like you said time went on and she got exposed

When and if Nunes gets stopped it’s not going to be because she looks like an amateur in a major facet of the game. When Penn and Silva started to fall off a cliff they can at least say had been through wars and were on the older side of things. Ronda was in her athletic prime with minimal wear and tear.

I just have a hard time calling anybody the greatest when they look that bad at age 28. Imo it has to be Nunes

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Rousey is like Royce Gracie

An absolutely dominant, one-dimensional fighter during the infancy of the sport

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I hope Masivdal absolutely destroys him. Can't stand Usman.

I hope so too just because I think masvidal as champion would be fuego

I also kinda like it when journeymen win the big one. Bisping’s win is one of my favorites ever.

I do think usman will win though

Reactions: I am not exposed

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I hope so too just because I think masvidal as champion would be fuego

I also kinda like it when journeymen win the big one. Bisping’s win is one of my favorites ever.

I do think usman will win though

If Masivdal wins. And that is a big if, watch Conor go for that belt. Masivdal is a far better match-up for Conor than Usman. I would still favour Masival, but Usman would wrestle Conor to death!

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm not an Usman fan but I've had more than my fill of Masvidal. I cannot stand him. I really hope Usman manhandles him and lays a beating on him.

I wanna say early reports had Usman opening around -250.

Rousey is like Royce Gracie

An absolutely dominant, one-dimensional fighter during the infancy of the sport
I think this is a very good comparison. Ronda thinking she's the GOAT is absurd. Nunes and Cyborg are clearly ahead, and IMO Shevchenko is too. More accomplished, far more skilled, and has really tested Nunes, arguably beat her, despite being the smaller fighter.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Shevchenko is a tank, she’s not losing that belt for a little bit imo

Who she got next, Chookagian? Yeah good luck with that Katlyn lol

Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cannonier is angling for Gastelum to be the replacement

I’d be avoiding that man if I were kelvin. Used to fight at heavyweight. Hits like a truck. No thanks.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Paige VanZant is better off taking photos on a beach. She’s out of her fight again with a broken arm. Chick is made out of egg shells.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Paige VanZant is better off taking photos on a beach. She’s out of her fight again with a broken arm. Chick is made out of egg shells.

hasn’t she broken her arm before or am I mistaken?

At least she has options outside of fighting

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Probs could do more stuff on TV, she’s already been on dancing with the stars and chopped

she’s a pretty and rich girl, the world is her oyster

She's pretty for a UFC fighter, but in the real world her face is only about a 6 or 7

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Rousey apparently still thinks she’s the greatest female fighter of all time

Rousey: No pressure to prove she's best ever

Most impactful? By far. The greatest? Probably not even top 3. I have her at 5 behind Nunes, cyborg, shevchenko, and holm.
LOL Nunes is so clearly the best female ever. Like there's not even a reasonable argument for anyone else. As much of an egomaniac as Ronda is, I'm sure even she realizes that. She just can't say it. After that, at least you could make arguments for Ronda, but Nunes has beat everyone else that is in the conversation except for JJ.

I'd probably go:

1. Nunes

2. Valentina - Her only losses in the UFC are to Nunes. If there was a 125lb division sooner, she maybe never loses in the UFC. I give her bonus points for doing as well as she did above her nature weight.
3. Cyborg - Dominant, but quality of competition is almost non-existent or under sized.
4. JJ - The loss to Valentina means nothing to me, so she's basically only lost to 1 person. If she beats Zhang (which I don't think she will), she'd really solidify her spot in the top 5 IMO.
5. Ronda - Tempting to put Holm here, but Holly's UFC career really isn't all that impressive on paper. You could make excuses for that, but Ronda had 7 title defenses.

Reactions: CDJ and Kel Varnson

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
hasn’t she broken her arm before or am I mistaken?

At least she has options outside of fighting

She broke it initially throwing that spinning back fist. The second and third breaks were from the metal plate they put in her arm to stabilize it from the initial break. Very similar to what happened to Gronkowski when he had a plate put in his arm and re-broke it after it was done healing. I want to say this time, PVZ said it was something to do with one of the screws for the plate that caused it. I think that was on her IG post when she broke the news. I think this one is not as bad and she said she expects to be able to fight again in May. Something like an 8 week healing time for this latest break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad