MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, it's a good fight for Weidman. I think the jury is still out on how good Hermansson is. He shot to the top of the division based on beating Jacare on short notice, but his UFC resume isn't really all that impressive outside of that.

Weidman really needs a win, though. He's a former champ, he fights nothing but killers, and he was winning some of those fights until he got KOed, but that only gets you so far. At some point, you got to start putting tallies in the win column. Another loss would put him at 1-6 in his last 7.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Shahbazyan vs Brunson moved off of 248 to UFC Portland

that stinks

Apparently Barboza is moving to featherweight

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Jose Aldo’s legendary status alone shouldn’t be criteria for leapfrogging worthy contenders

While the author is correct in his premise that there are probably other fighters more deserving, he clearly misunderstands that this isn't about being fair. It's a business. It's about making money. And no casual fans have ever heard of Peter Yan or Aljamain Sterling, and will certainly not be plunking down $70 bucks to see Cejudo fight either of those guys.

He even included a quote from Dana in there that explains everything you need to know about why this is happening:
“I think Jose Aldo won the fight,” White said in the UFC 245 post-fight press conference. “Most of the room thought he won. If [Cejudo] wants Jose Aldo next, we could do it. I don’t have a problem with it. I’m sure people would want to see it.”

This isn't about being fair, it's about making money. Aldo, while long in the tooth now, is still a brand name and well known fighter. He'll still pull fans that will buy this just for him. Cejudo vs Sterling or Yan? Not so much. I mean crap, the event is in Brazil, FFS. lol

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was about to say- they needed a headliner for Brazil. This was the easiest one to make. It’s dumb but like you say, it’s a business. The rankings don’t mean anything

Yan should get next though imo- there’s no way you’re gonna build stars without giving them a shot. Maybe do Yan vs Sterling for next. I think Yan is a destroyer and it seems like he has personality too. He’s a little shit talker, I kinda love it

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's in Brazil. That's why it's happening. It's a gift to the Brazilian fans to see one of their legends fight for the belt one more time in Brazil.

It's a business of course, but the difference in PPV buys Cejudo-Aldo does and Cejudo-Sterling/Yan is probably pretty marginal. Aldo's a legend, but he's not a PPV draw. I'd bet a lot of casuals only know him as that guy Conor knocked out in 13 seconds or whatever it was. But since it's in Brazil, it's an easy way to sell the place out and generate a lot of hype in Brazil. If it was in Vegas, this wouldn't even be the main event most likely.

It's also still a sport, though. Doing stuff like this too much loses them some credibility IMO. So they've got to weigh how much more money they can make vs. having their credibility take a hit. Not saying they are making the wrong decision in this case. I don't particularly like it, but I get why they are doing it. I just don't want to see them doing it too often.

I think the point @CDJ makes is also very important. You've got to give guys chances to become stars.

By the way, I saw Sterling proposed doing a 4-man tourney with himself, Yan, Moraes, and Sandhagen to determine the next title shot. I love that idea since all 4 of them have legitimate cases for the next shot. Let them decide it in the cage.

Reactions: LSCII and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ariel is saying that Conor-Gaethje is the front runner for Conor's next fight and it could happen in summer. Please, please, please be true. He said the only other fight in the mix right now is Nate. As much as I want to see the trilogy fight, I don't think right now is the time. Nate either needs a win or Conor needs a loss for it to make sense. I'd still be excited to see it, but Conor-Gaethje is the fight.

I still expect we don't hear anything official until after Khabib-Tony, though.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That 4 man tourney would be incredible. Can’t get more high level imo. I think the overall talent at 135 is pretty sick
Yeah, you could mix those guys up in any combination and it makes a couple of good fights. And to your point, doing an 'official' tourney is not something the UFC does. So it would probably attract more attention than just making those fights which in turn gives those guys a chance to become a bigger name. Who knows? Maybe even big enough to not be skipped over by Faber for the next title shot (j/k).

Reactions: m9

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Ariel is saying that Conor-Gaethje is the front runner for Conor's next fight and it could happen in summer. Please, please, please be true. He said the only other fight in the mix right now is Nate. As much as I want to see the trilogy fight, I don't think right now is the time. Nate either needs a win or Conor needs a loss for it to make sense. I'd still be excited to see it, but Conor-Gaethje is the fight.

I still expect we don't hear anything official until after Khabib-Tony, though.

Conor-Gaethje yes please!

Conor-Nate no thanks! Have no interest in that fight at all.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
By the way, I saw Sterling proposed doing a 4-man tourney with himself, Yan, Moraes, and Sandhagen to determine the next title shot. I love that idea since all 4 of them have legitimate cases for the next shot. Let them decide it in the cage.

I'd be all for a four man tournament involving those guys but it's also a little weird it's being proposed by Sterling. I think him and Yan have the best case to get the next title shot. One of them should be fighting Cejudo right now but we know that's not happening for some dumb reasons. So the easy call seems to be Yan vs. Sterling with the winner being guaranteed the next shot regardless of whose holding the belt.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hooker making a quick return after that fight with Felder. I think Poirier might be a bit too much for him, but that's a great fight.

And yeah, Moraes v Yan is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad