MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That Lima KO is still wild to watch

As far as Yoel goes he only uses his Olympic caliber wrestling to keep people on the feet. Even when he gets takedowns he doesn’t try to hold people down there- they are almost always up quickly. It just gives them and the judges something to think about

He fancies himself a boxer, which is fair because I think his brother is a professional boxer. Just seems like something he enjoys doing more than wrestling. His blitzing is top tier and his defense is top tier. Plus his chin is ridiculous. That is probably because he doesn’t have a neck so his brain doesn’t wobble around when contact is made lol

I have adesanya by decision. Should be a war though

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Romero has been in so many wars over the years....it has to eventually catch up to him, right? He’s a freak of nature. He got head kicked by Derek Brunson an eternity ago and ate it like it was nothing, the flying knee murder of weidman seems like forever ago. Both Whittaker wars. Went to a split with an alligator. The Tim Kennedy fight was a soldier vs a soldier of god.....pure war. The costa fight was crazy town. Rockhold was giving him some problems before he made him look like a jack in the box

And the entire time he’s been in his late 30’s/early 40’s (maybe older, it’s Cuba)....he really is something special, don’t take this guy for granted. We may not have him in their much longer

Reactions: pistolpete11

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's really going to f*** up the division if Romero wins lol. Props to Izzy though, this fight carries a lot of risk, both to his belt and his health...almost everyone who fights Romero ends up losing some years off their life and a weaker chin. I guess Adesanya just wants to prove he can hang with the true contenders who have a strong wrestling/grappling base.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Romero has been in so many wars over the years....it has to eventually catch up to him, right? He’s a freak of nature. He got head kicked by Derek Brunson an eternity ago and ate it like it was nothing, the flying knee murder of weidman seems like forever ago. Both Whittaker wars. Went to a split with an alligator. The Tim Kennedy fight was a soldier vs a soldier of god.....pure war. The costa fight was crazy town. Rockhold was giving him some problems before he made him look like a jack in the box

And the entire time he’s been in his late 30’s/early 40’s (maybe older, it’s Cuba)....he really is something special, don’t take this guy for granted. We may not have him in their much longer
It catches up with everyone eventually, but the question is when? I'm not sure Romero is there yet. Despite his actual age (or reported age), his MMA age isn't THAT old. He's certainly been in some wars, but he only has 17 professional fights and has only been finished once (9 years ago). Don't get me wrong, it's still a long, hard career, but there are guys still fighting at a high level that have been in 30, 40 fights. Shit, Cowboy is about to be in his 50th professional fight. Masvidal is nearly at 50 too (and that doesn't include his street fights) and he's at his career peak. So you never know. Each guy is different. His chin is still there judging by the Costa fight.

It's really going to **** up the division if Romero wins lol. Props to Izzy though, this fight carries a lot of risk, both to his belt and his health...almost everyone who fights Romero ends up losing some years off their life and a weaker chin. I guess Adesanya just wants to prove he can hang with the true contenders who have a strong wrestling/grappling base.
I don't think you could f*** this division up at the moment, honestly. Costa should and probably will get the next title shot no matter who wins. Cannonier has a case if he beats Whittaker. Whittaker has a case at least against Romero if he beats Cannonier. Till is right there (even if I think his mouth is the biggest reason he's in that position).

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It catches up with everyone eventually, but the question is when? I'm not sure Romero is there yet. Despite his actual age (or reported age), his MMA age isn't THAT old. He's certainly been in some wars, but he only has 17 professional fights and has only been finished once (9 years ago). Don't get me wrong, it's still a long, hard career, but there are guys still fighting at a high level that have been in 30, 40 fights. ****, Cowboy is about to be in his 50th professional fight. Masvidal is nearly at 50 too (and that doesn't include his street fights) and he's at his career peak. So you never know. Each guy is different. His chin is still there judging by the Costa fight.

I don't think you could **** this division up at the moment, honestly. Costa should and probably will get the next title shot no matter who wins. Cannonier has a case if he beats Whittaker. Whittaker has a case at least against Romero if he beats Cannonier. Till is right there (even if I think his mouth is the biggest reason he's in that position).
For me it's more that a guy who is 1-3 in his last 4 fights (now I will concede that the second Whittaker fight and the Costa fight were very close) is getting his 3rd title shot lol, after already having one, losing it, then re-matching the same guy he lost to, not making weight, losing again to him and then losing to the top contender after. This isn't as bad as Bisping as MW champion but it does rub me the wrong way a bit.

Reactions: Kel Varnson and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bisping as MW champ made me so thoroughly happy, I really do not like Luke rockhold lol

I’m fine with Romero getting the fight, you can argue he won the last 3 fights he lost. Imo the second Whittaker loss wasn’t even all that close, I thought he more or less blew the doors off Whittaker. I think they gave it to Whittaker because it would’ve been a bad situation if the champ lost to somebody in his weight class in a non title fight

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For me it's more that a guy who is 1-3 in his last 4 fights (now I will concede that the second Whittaker fight and the Costa fight were very close) is getting his 3rd title shot lol, after already having one, losing it, then re-matching the same guy he lost to, not making weight, losing again to him and then losing to the top contender after. This isn't as bad as Bisping as MW champion but it does rub me the wrong way a bit.
Whether he deserves the fight or not is a fair question, but if he were to beat Stylebender, it is what it is. He's the champ (assuming he also makes weight). And there would be a number of good fights for him, so for the division, it's not a bad thing at all.

I had no problem with Bisping becoming champ. He paid his dues, stepped in on short notice, and won via KO. Props to him. Plus, I find him hilarious. The only problems I had with him as champ were him getting Henderson (who was ranked like 11th or something) and GSP (who never fought in the division) as his title defenses.

Bisping as MW champ made me so thoroughly happy, I really do not like Luke rockhold lol

I’m fine with Romero getting the fight, you can argue he won the last 3 fights he lost. Imo the second Whittaker loss wasn’t even all that close, I thought he more or less blew the doors off Whittaker. I think they gave it to Whittaker because it would’ve been a bad situation if the champ lost to somebody in his weight class in a non title fight
I don't think judges are competent enough or even care enough to think like that in the moment. I think they were extremely close fights. Especially the second one, if you score it as an overall fight, I think Romero clearly won. But the 10-point must system makes it a lot closer and I think there was an legitimate argument for Whittaker winning. At least that's how I remember it. Haven't rewatched it since.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The only problems I had with him as champ were him getting Henderson (who was ranked like 11th or something) and GSP (who never fought in the division) as his title defenses.
That's basically what I was referring to, not the fact that Bisping himself was champion, he won it fair and square. Essentially like when Bisping was champ, a guy who doesn't really deserve a title shot at this point and is quite old is getting one....however Romero is a scary mofo for everyone whereas Bisping cherry picked a geriatric Henderson which is why this is not as bad.

That's a bit of a stretch, I think Whittaker won 3 rounds cleanly, what it comes down to is whether or not you give Romero's rounds a 10-8. Round 5 for sure was a 10-8 IMO, which would've resulted in a draw overall. Round 3 I'm a bit more iffy on, if you go 10-8 on that too then Romero wins.

Whittaker also broke his jab hand in the fight which impacted his defense and obviously boxing overall big time as he relies on his jab quite a bit when trying to defend as well as setting up his combinations. Of course that doesn't mean anything from a judging standpoint but had he not broken it I think he could've defended himself better and maybe even won those other rounds.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Whittaker hurt his knee early in the first fight as well if I remember correctly. That's why I don't really have any sympathy for Romero not getting the decision(s). Yes, that doesn't factor into the judge's scorecards, but Romero had his opponent at a severe disadvantage in both fights and couldn't do any better than making it an extremely close fight(s).

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Josh Emmett is out of his Arnold Allen fight in Raleigh

that stinks, would’ve been a high level fight

Dirty bird Tim means is fighting Ramazan Emeev on the New Mexico card

Rodolfo Vieira is back in there against Saparbek Safarov at 248. Vieira is all about pride and honor being a BJJ legend, Safarov had one of the dirtier fights I’ve seen his last time out iirc

Cowboy Oliveira against max griffin on that card

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Best UFC moment ever for me!

But I am British. :)

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Kyle Bochniak got released by the UFC. We will always have that memory of him being a lunatic at the end of the Zabit fight

my friend has 1 professional MMA fight, it was against him. I think it was both of their 1st fights. He got strangled in a minute lol

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Josh Emmett is out of his Arnold Allen fight in Raleigh

that stinks, would’ve been a high level fight

Dirty bird Tim means is fighting Ramazan Emeev on the New Mexico card

Rodolfo Vieira is back in there against Saparbek Safarov at 248. Vieira is all about pride and honor being a BJJ legend, Safarov had one of the dirtier fights I’ve seen his last time out iirc

Cowboy Oliveira against max griffin on that card

They should get Ryan Hall to step in.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kyle Bochniak got released by the UFC. We will always have that memory of him being a lunatic at the end of the Zabit fight

my friend has 1 professional MMA fight, it was against him. I think it was both of their 1st fights. He got strangled in a minute lol
Really? I mean, he is 32 and was 2-5 in the UFC, but I thought they'd give him a little bit of a longer leash for taking Zabit on short notice and putting on a somewhat memorable fight.

Is your buddy Peter Bertucci?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Really? I mean, he is 32 and was 2-5 in the UFC, but I thought they'd give him a little bit of a longer leash for taking Zabit on short notice and putting on a somewhat memorable fight.

even after the Zabit fight he’s taking on big prospects like Sean Woodson and Hakeem Dawodu, dude doesn’t back down

I doubt he costs a ton too. I’ll be interested in seeing where he goes, he makes for fun fights

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY

He lost 2 straight after the Zabit fight, so it's not like he didn't get his chance.

With that being said, he has never been stopped in his career, every loss was a decision.

He isn't very talented, but tough af.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I like this for Rose. Obviously she got viciously KO'ed in the first one, but she was clearly winning the fight before that. I hate to say it, but it was kind of fluky. If she gets the win, she'd be first in line for a title shot.

Reactions: Kel Varnson

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He lost 2 straight after the Zabit fight, so it's not like he didn't get his chance.

With that being said, he has never been stopped in his career, every loss was a decision.

He isn't very talented, but tough af.

Says yes to everything apparently too, figured the ufc would keep him around because of that. But like you said 3 losses in a row is 3 losses in a row, he can go make some money in bellator or the PFL. Always a place in the sport for guys like him

In other news Mark O. Madsen is back in there at 248 vs Austin Hubbard

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jessica Penne facing a 4 yr ban/retirement for a stanzolol pop

Aspen Ladd vs Julianna Pena at UFC Columbus

Jordan Mein to bellator. Thiago Alves is a free agent who in his words will probably retire unless he gets 6 figures (doubt he will see that). He is becoming a cop in Florida

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kevin Lee v Charles Oliveira in March. Guess that puts to end the talk here about Oliveira only getting easy fights.

It's actually a pretty interesting style matchup. Have to favor Lee but Oliveira will keep things interesting.

Reactions: Avs_19 and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad