MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Somewhat interesting that the fight is taking place at 170.

Maybe Conor's putting on weight/muscle to challenge Masvidal or Diaz if he wins? That's all I can really think of because they both have plenty of time to make 155.

Perhaps they're hoping Colby wins the belt so they can match him up against Conor

The press tour leading up to that fight would certainly attract attention

I don't think Conor is fighting a wrestler who walks around close to 200 lbs unless it's Khabib.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe Conor's putting on weight/muscle to challenge Masvidal or Diaz if he wins? That's all I can really think of because they both have plenty of time to make 155.

This is what I was thinking as well as Conor said his plan was to fight the BMF winner after this fight in January. With Masvidal winning, and him having a legit shot at the actual belt at 170 next, not sure if he's the guy the UFC will be setting Conor up with next. The trilogy fight against Nate makes sense but I don't see the need for Conor to bulk up for a 3rd fight with Nate. Might just be a case where both guys just decided that with 6 weeks until the fight, and two weeks after the holidays that neither guy wanted to bother with watching their weight?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Conor v Cerrone, done deal for UFC 246 in January.

This fight makes a lot of sense for both the UFC and Conor. Conor needs a win, so putting a guy who likes to exchange is better than facing a wrestler. It's also a very winnable fight for Conor, and he needs a win bad. It's also a good fight for Cowboy because he probably isn't too far from retirement, and this is his big money fight.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cerrone at +155 is terrific value imo

We’re not even sure Conor will be the same fighter he was. Dudes been heavy in the whiskey game, doesn’t seem to be living the most stable life, and I think he’s fighting at WW for a reason. Cowboy can kickbox, I don’t think his stand up is light years worse than Conor. His ground game and wrestling, however, is light years better than Conor. Couple this with it being 5 rounds and with Cerrone being an absolute DOG and I think the betting line should be a lot closer to a pick em than it is

Not saying cowboy will win but I think that’s a lot more likely than what Vegas currently thinks

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cerrone at +155 is terrific value imo

We’re not even sure Conor will be the same fighter he was. Dudes been heavy in the whiskey game, doesn’t seem to be living the most stable life, and I think he’s fighting at WW for a reason. Cowboy can kickbox, I don’t think his stand up is light years worse than Conor. His ground game and wrestling, however, is light years better than Conor. Couple this with it being 5 rounds and with Cerrone being an absolute DOG and I think the betting line should be a lot closer to a pick em than it is

Not saying cowboy will win but I think that’s a lot more likely than what Vegas currently thinks

Disagree. Cowboy has always struggled with southpaws and is always a step behind the elite fighters. Not sure what version of Conor we get, but I think even 75% of peak Conor takes out Cerrone.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

member 51464

Four (American) Thanksgivings have passed since Conor last won in the UFC. That's wild.

Donald is 5-6 since Conor's win over Alvarez, lol

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Disagree. Cowboy has always struggled with southpaws and is always a step behind the elite fighters. Not sure what version of Conor we get, but I think even 75% of peak Conor takes out Cerrone.

Totally respect your opinion but here’s my take:

I’m not sure if McGregor is elite anymore and Donald Cerrone has been active against the elite. I understand he’s taken some major damage in the last handful of months but he did piece up Iaquinta over the summer. I think a guy like Iaquinta would give McGregor hell too

Idk, I’m kind of off the mcgregor train. Just haven’t seen enough of him lately plus I question his motivation and what’s going on in his personal life (erratic behavior to say the least) and the combination of those things lead me to have serious doubts about him

Its been reported that he’s going to fight three times in 2020 if he wins though so maybe he’s being serious again and what I said was total malarkey

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Totally respect your opinion but here’s my take:

I’m not sure if McGregor is elite anymore and Donald Cerrone has been active against the elite. I understand he’s taken some major damage in the last handful of months but he did piece up Iaquinta over the summer. I think a guy like Iaquinta would give McGregor hell too

Idk, I’m kind of off the mcgregor train. Just haven’t seen enough of him lately plus I question his motivation and what’s going on in his personal life (erratic behavior to say the least) and the combination of those things lead me to have serious doubts about him

Its been reported that he’s going to fight three times in 2020 if he wins though so maybe he’s being serious again and what I said was total malarkey

I think it's completely fair to question where Conor is at - I think he probably loses fights to most of the top of the division right now now. I just don't think Cerrone is the guy to do it.

Reactions: CDJ

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Maybe. Will be interesting to see how McGregor deals with Cerrone's size and kicking. If Cerrone doesn't come out too stiff I could see him working Conor. I think that McGregor is typically more dynamic than Iaquinta but it wouldn't surprise me if Cerrone uses his size and range effectively in a similar way. I like Cowboy a lot more so maybe I'm projecting that but I think he has a good chance of beating McGregor; he's not going to stand right in front of Conor and let him beat on his face the way Nate did so it'll be interesting to see if his movement and style work out.
That's my only real issue with Cerrone. I don't think his movement is good enough for a guy who's in and out like Conor. I find Ceronne stiff as hell, super upright and kind of just marches forward.

I'm looking forward to the fight, though. Cerrone does pose a few problems for Conor.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That's my only real issue with Cerrone. I don't think his movement is good enough for a guy who's in and out like Conor. I find Ceronne stiff as hell, super upright and kind of just marches forward.

I'm looking forward to the fight, though. Cerrone does pose a few problems for Conor.
Yeah I mean, he's no Edgar or Cruz or whatever but while he is somewhat plodding he doesn't present the same hittable, face first approach that Diaz does (even if Diaz's defensive game is a little underrated, with his rolling and cover). He uses his range typically pretty well especially when he decides to use his kicks. I'm being optimistic in hoping that Cerrone uses all of his tools in this fight. He's shown to be a bit chinny at times and has been a notoriously slow starter which are both things that could work against him in a Conor fight.

I'm a bit disappointed that McGregor didn't step right back in against Gaethje or Masvidal because I would have loved to see that beatdown.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah I mean, he's no Edgar or Cruz or whatever but while he is somewhat plodding he doesn't present the same hittable, face first approach that Diaz does (even if Diaz's defensive game is a little underrated, with his rolling and cover). He uses his range typically pretty well especially when he decides to use his kicks. I'm being optimistic in hoping that Cerrone uses all of his tools in this fight. He's shown to be a bit chinny at times and has been a notoriously slow starter which are both things that could work against him in a Conor fight.

I'm a bit disappointed that McGregor didn't step right back in against Gaethje or Masvidal because I would have loved to see that beatdown.

This is smart from the UFC. Cowboy poses way less of a risk than those guys, but he is still a well known commodity and big name in mixed martial arts. I would comfortably bet on Gaethje and Masvidal manhandling Conor. If Conor has an impressive victory against Cowboy, then you make a match up against one of those guys. Of course, with how fluid the UFC is, who knows where each fighter will be in a few months time. If someone had told me at the beginning of the year that Diaz vs. Masvidal would headline the MSG card for the BMF belt, I would have shook my head in disbelief.

Reactions: m9 and YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This is smart from the UFC. Cowboy poses way less of a risk than those guys, but he is still a well known commodity and big name in mixed martial arts. I would comfortably bet on Gaethje and Masvidal manhandling Conor. If Conor has an impressive victory against Cowboy, then you make a match up against one of those guys. Of course, with how fluid the UFC is, who knows where each fighter will be in a few months time. If someone had told me at the beginning of the year that Diaz vs. Masvidal would headline the MSG card for the BMF belt, I would have shook my head in disbelief.
You’ll be even more shocked when it’s Nick Diaz that he headlines with next.

:laugh:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I like this matchup. Both guys need a win and it's winnable for either guy. McGregor can prove whether he still belongs as a top guy and Cowboy gets a big money fight. If Conor wins, Gaethje would be a really interesting fight, assuming the logistics would work out. I really don't need to see Conor fight Diaz again. It wouldn't really prove anything for him anyway.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Conor-Cerrone was inevitable. It made so much more sense than any other fight. You want the biggest name with the least risk.

As for the odds, +155 isn't nearly enough for Cerrone. I would be absolutely shocked if that's not well above +200 as we get closer to the fight.

I have nothing against Cowboy, but every time he's in one of those big fights where you think he's right on the cusp of putting it all together he gets absolutely throttled. He looks like a world beater against guys he should beat, but gets thoroughly outclassed by the elite.

Conor will knock him out in under two rounds. Cowboy is really up there in ring age, he's stiff, he looked extremely slow against Ferguson, and as we know, a lot of fights and a lot of damage is a bad recipe for your chin.

I will admit I was surprised this is at 170. Cerrone is the bigger guy by a fair margin so that should work to his advantage. Makes it a bit more interesting I guess. At 155 Cerrone should be closer to +275 IMO.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Cowboy has the skillset to give Conor some problems. He's bigger, has a good clinch game, a good ground game, and his kicks are dangerous. He could lean on Conor, get him to the ground, tire him out, and then start looking for that head kick or a submission.

There's a bunch of problems for Cowboy, though. First, he's too stubborn. He's going to try to give the fans what they want instead of developing and sticking with the best strategy to win the fight. He's a slow starter and Conor is a fast starter. He's hittable, not Nate level of durable, and Conor's not a guy you want to get hit by. He's generally going to be at a speed disadvantage. As much as I like Cowboy, I don't see it ending well for him.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Cowboy has the skillset to give Conor some problems. He's bigger, has a good clinch game, a good ground game, and his kicks are dangerous. He could lean on Conor, get him to the ground, tire him out, and then start looking for that head kick or a submission.
I was gonna touch on this in my post because it is true, the problem as we know is it 100% is not happening. You put the mindset of a very strategic fighter in him who can follow a game plan and this fight gets very interesting. But rather than adopt that strategy he'll fight exactly how he always does, he'll lose, then he'll smile and say how "fun" it was. Personally I'd rather fight to win than fight to entertain, but to each his own.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was gonna touch on this in my post because it is true, the problem as we know is it 100% is not happening. You put the mindset of a very strategic fighter in him who can follow a game plan and this fight gets very interesting. But rather than adopt that strategy he'll fight exactly how he always does, he'll lose, then he'll smile and say how "fun" it was. Personally I'd rather fight to win than fight to entertain, but to each his own.

First things first- you’re probably absolutely right with how you’re saying Cerrone will fight. However, as a fan I’d much rather a Cerrone than a Theodoreu every single time. That fan friendly style leads to opportunities outside the octagon....hell he was in its always sunny in Philadelphia

Dudes an adrenaline junkie. Should he care more about being KO’d? Probably, but he usually has an extra 50-100k coming in each fight so that probably helps him sleep better

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Conor-Cerrone was inevitable. It made so much more sense than any other fight. You want the biggest name with the least risk.

As for the odds, +155 isn't nearly enough for Cerrone. I would be absolutely shocked if that's not well above +200 as we get closer to the fight.

I have nothing against Cowboy, but every time he's in one of those big fights where you think he's right on the cusp of putting it all together he gets absolutely throttled. He looks like a world beater against guys he should beat, but gets thoroughly outclassed by the elite.

Conor will knock him out in under two rounds. Cowboy is really up there in ring age, he's stiff, he looked extremely slow against Ferguson, and as we know, a lot of fights and a lot of damage is a bad recipe for your chin.

I will admit I was surprised this is at 170. Cerrone is the bigger guy by a fair margin so that should work to his advantage. Makes it a bit more interesting I guess. At 155 Cerrone should be closer to +275 IMO.

Agree that it will get closer to +200 as the fight approaches, mcgregor fans always get that late money in on him

I’m probably taking Cerrone regardless of +155 or +200. Not because I think he’s the better fighter, I just have questions about McGregor’s own fitness and mindset at the moment.

I think he does a bunch of blow and drinks a lot. It doesn’t catch up to everybody (see; Jon Jones). But he’s not Jon Jones and he hasn’t won a fight since 2016. SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED SINCE THEN. The last guy he beat lost to a Russian without a wiki page (hes since acquired one shout out Timofey) in worse fashion than he lost to Conor since then. To Eddie’s credit he also beat Gaethje but He was fighting a different gaethje. Then some can make the argument Conor didn’t beat Diaz in the 2nd fight.

His best win since Aldo being a guy with as many miles as Alvarez had concerns me. And that win being 3 years ago really concerns me

I wanted him to fight Gaethje. I have a weird feeling about justin in a Khabib fight. I think he’s the guy in the division that could get it done

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington, Holloway vs. Volkanovski, Nunes vs. GDR

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone

UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes, Schevchenko vs. Chookagian

UFC 248: Zhang vs. Joanna, Adesanya vs. Romero (rumoured)

UFC 249: Khabib vs. Ferguson

That leaves Stipe and Cejudo as the only champs without fights scheduled assuming the Adesanya fight gets done. A 125 lb title fight involving Benavidez and another contender is also possible if Cejudo is forced to vacate.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Four (American) Thanksgivings have passed since Conor last won in the UFC. That's wild.

Donald is 5-6 since Conor's win over Alvarez, lol

Positioning it that way is a tad misleading, no? I mean shit, the dude hasn't fought but one time doing that span. One of the mma websites had a story the other day saying he hadn't won a fight in years and was on a losing streak which was a laugh, given he hasn't fought except vs Khabib. Either way though, he's proven he's still marketable and relevant given every time he takes a shit, someone posts about it on the internet...:laugh:

member 51464

Positioning it that way is a tad misleading, no? I mean ****, the dude hasn't fought but one time doing that span. One of the mma websites had a story the other day saying he hadn't won a fight in years and was on a losing streak which was a laugh, given he hasn't fought except vs Khabib. Either way though, he's proven he's still marketable and relevant given every time he takes a ****, someone posts about it on the internet...:laugh:
Not misleading at all. It was more pointing out the ridiculous activity of Cowboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad