MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some recent releases

Renan Barao (see ya dink, you’ll never again cost me $700 bucks in a 7 way parlay by losing to a guy without a wiki page after coming in overweight )

Liz Carmouche- kinda f***ed up considering she just fought for the title and she was doing promotional work for the company when she learned of the release

CB Dollaway (still suspended for PEDS)

Tarec Saffiedine (forgot he existed)

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also there’s a 0% chance Frankie Edgar will be able to keep that date with Sandhagen

He ain’t fighting a point fighter, that’s for sure...should be a fun one to see though. Very much looking forward to Korean Zombies walkout, that’s going to be absolutely electric

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Jon Jones says there's a strong possibility he fights at heavyweight next year.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He also said that when he tweeted he had big fight news in ~September and then nothing happened, that he thought he was getting Stipe, but then they moved to Stipe-DC 3.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He also said that when he tweeted he had big fight news in ~September and then nothing happened, that he thought he was getting Stipe, but then they moved to Stipe-DC 3.

And he's also angling for the Adesanya fight as well. So, who knows.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ngannou is the most overrated guy in that division. Big puncher that comes up small in every big fight.

No shame in losing to Miocic. The only other bad fight was the Derrick Lewis fight and he's come up big in plenty of other big fights.

Besides, it's HW and the division sucks. So it doesn't really matter what he's "rated", he's still better than pretty much everyone else.

Reactions: LSCII

member 51464

Israel should troll him a bit and claim Jones is running since Izzy planned to come up after taking care of some unfinished business

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This Jones/Reyes fight hype is going to really suffer because Reyes is just awful on the mic. Jones did his thing yesterday, but Reyes just isn't the guy to talk.

It's too bad too, because I think there's a pretty good chance we have a new champ in a few months as I like Reyes chances.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This Jones/Reyes fight hype is going to really suffer because Reyes is just awful on the mic. Jones did his thing yesterday, but Reyes just isn't the guy to talk.

It's too bad too, because I think there's a pretty good chance we have a new champ in a few months as I like Reyes chances.
Really? I think Jones is going to f***. him. up. Not only is Reyes terrible on the mic, but he's poked the bear. I don't buy that Jones has looked 'bad' because he's clean now or that he's getting older. I think he just wasn't hyped up for Santos or Smith because they were both failed MW who got the shot because there was no one else and they played relatively nice in the lead up (especially Santos). Last time he got up was to prove without a doubt he's better than Gus and he absolutely smashed him. He seems to be genuinely pissed off at Reyes, so if he goes into it with the same mentality as the Gus fight, I think he smashes him, too.

Edit: And I think Jones is pretty bad on the mic, too. Better than Reyes, sure, but he's not good.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I honestly think Santos presented a lot of issues for Jon and Jon is fortunate that Santos fought the majority of the fight w 2 bum knees

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really? I think Jones is going to ****. him. up. Not only is Reyes terrible on the mic, but he's poked the bear. I don't buy that Jones has looked 'bad' because he's clean now or that he's getting older. I think he just wasn't hyped up for Santos or Smith because they were both failed MW who got the shot because there was no one else and they played relatively nice in the lead up (especially Santos). Last time he got up was to prove without a doubt he's better than Gus and he absolutely smashed him. He seems to be genuinely pissed off at Reyes, so if he goes into it with the same mentality as the Gus fight, I think he smashes him, too.

Edit: And I think Jones is pretty bad on the mic, too. Better than Reyes, sure, but he's not good.

Reyes is better on the feet than Jones. Santos was too, he just got hurt. If Jones fights smart he'll win.. I'm just not convinced he will.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I honestly think Santos presented a lot of issues for Jon and Jon is fortunate that Santos fought the majority of the fight w 2 bum knees
Santos was fortunate that Jones didn't take him down and pound him into the canvas.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Jones was concerned about getting too close to him. I think he thought the way he fought was probably the safest way

That makes no sense though because Santos is best at a range where he can use his kicks. Jones should have kept him extremely close or took it to the ground.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Jones was concerned about getting too close to him. I think he thought the way he fought was probably the safest way
Yeah, that doesn't make a ton sense to me. I can't explain why Jones fought the way he did, but keeping it standing in kick boxing range was about the worst thing he could do against Santos and his power.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That makes no sense though because Santos is best at a range where he can use his kicks. Jones should have kept him extremely close or took it to the ground.

He was the Much longer fighter And he’s probably the best of all time at using his reach to keep people on the outside and out of striking distance. Uses those push kicks that destroy knees. Uses his go go gadget arms

He had an 8 1/2 inch reach advantage and it showed.

He Kept it at kickboxing range and sure some may think that’s a questionable strategy against Santos, but his kickboxing range is a lot wider than Thiago’s

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He was the Much longer fighter And he’s probably the best of all time at using his reach to keep people on the outside and out of striking distance. Uses those push kicks that destroy knees. Uses his go go gadget arms

He had an 8 1/2 inch reach advantage and it showed.

Did it show? He arguably lost the fight, and would have lost it for sure if Santos' mobility wasn't destroyed due to injuries. It was the worst performance of Jones' career and an absolutely awful gameplan.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Did it show? He arguably lost the fight, and would have lost it for sure if Santos' mobility wasn't destroyed due to injuries. It was the worst performance of Jones' career and an absolutely awful gameplan.

You see what Thiago did to the people before Jon? He was never really able to land significant damage on Jon

I may be biased though because Santos is my favorite fighter. Could be giving him too much credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->