MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Askren vs. Maia is confirmed for the Singapore card in October. It could be a really fun grappling match or one of the worst fights you'll see.

Reactions: m9 and pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Askren vs. Maia is confirmed for the Singapore card in October. It could be a really fun grappling match or one of the worst fights you'll see.
Yep. Can't really see any in between.

Good fight for Askren to come back to after nearly getting KOed against Lawler and then the knee from Masvidal. Nothing but respect for Maia, but I hope Askren wins. Would like him to stick around a bit longer in the UFC and be relevant.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pure stand up fight, no TD attempts at all.

I wonder if a pure stand up fight could benefit Maia because he might be the better striker between the two of them. Maia has had serious issues taking down strong wrestlers as we saw in the Woodley, Usman, and Covington fights where he was a combined 0-49 on takedown attempts. No, that's not a typo or exaggeration. He went 0-21 against Woodley, 0-13 against Covington, and 0-15 against Usman. Askren is different because I don't think he's as strong or quick as those guys but he's an excellent wrestler nonetheless. He'll likely be the one who dictates where this fight will take place.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Agreed, that's why if I had to bet I see Askren taking him down and just trying to grind while avoiding the submission. It's not gonna be Costa-Romero exciting, but that grappling battle will be interesting.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's beyond sad at this point. Dana got all irritated at the media when they last questioned him about it but you can't justify giving Penn more fights. Say what you want about Lentz but he's not a scrub and that fight will likely be ugly for Penn if it ends up happening.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
BJ has lost it. Obviously. Though in that video where he gets dropped it kind of looks like he's on a bender and is asking the guy to hit him because he thinks he can just take it. Woops.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Terrible look and quite frankly embarrassing. That said, I can understand how a guy with a name in MMA like BJ Penn didn't let things end with him getting dropped. Again, he shouldn't be doing this and it's teetering from embarrassing to pathetic, but I can understand the second video after seeing the first.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
BJ has lost it. Obviously. Though in that video where he gets dropped it kind of looks like he's on a bender and is asking the guy to hit him because he thinks he can just take it. Woops.
That's exactly what he was doing . Prime BJ maybe could've taken that punch but current Bj struggled with a washed up feather fisted Clay Guida so yeah this was a terrible idea by him.

member 51464

Former fighter or not, getting into street fights is pretty pathetic even by men a decade younger than him. Grow up, BJ.

member 51464

Did you see the claims his ex made? Seems like he's a pretty weird dude to start with...
No, I did not. I only saw the video linked here and then the second video where he was on top of the guy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No, I did not. I only saw the video linked here and then the second video where he was on top of the guy.

His ex has a restraining order against him after accusing him of years of physical and emotional abuse, the police are investigating an incident where his neighbor claims Penn threatened to kill him with a machete, and he has been in three street fights that we know of. He appears to have some major issues and the last thing he should probably be doing is fighting in the UFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad