MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Gane actually opened as a slight favorite against Ngannou, that surprised me. I believe it's pretty much even now.

I'm also surprised Jones isn't interested in the Stipe fight. He doesn't have some of that scary type power some of the other HWs have, and my guess is they'd be fairly similarly sized. Not to mention many would argue that's the HW GOAT. Seems like a good fight for him to take.
Yeah, I was surprised, too. I think some people may look at Francis and Lewis as similar all-or-nothing types, but Francis is much more aggressive and Lewis is more of a wait and counterstrike type. Lewis could never get a read on Gane because of his movement and speed, so he couldn't get shots off. I think Francis will go straight after Gane more. My money would be on Francis, but it's a great fight and Gane definitely has the skills to beat Francis.

I don't think opponent is Jon's issue.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
may-18-2015-sports-illustrated-via-getty-images-cover-mixed-martial-picture-id473065830

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Gane actually opened as a slight favorite against Ngannou, that surprised me. I believe it's pretty much even now.

I'm also surprised Jones isn't interested in the Stipe fight. He doesn't have some of that scary type power some of the other HWs have, and my guess is they'd be fairly similarly sized. Not to mention many would argue that's the HW GOAT. Seems like a good fight for him to take.

Yea I was surprised by the odds too. Patient Francis is something else, would not bet against him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tsarukyan is going to grapple f*** Giagos to death

Great career Jacare. One of my all time favorites

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Respect to Jacare. A real one.

It was time though. Over 40 years old, long career, a lot of damage, and he was starting to lose to guys he shouldn't be losing to.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Dustin has been around long enough and paid his dues. If he stands to benefit more from Diaz or Conor, can you really blame him? I favor him over both, and the title shot will always be there if he continues to win anyway.

Also, can they stop wasting Tsarukyan's time and give him a bigger name already? Giagos is no joke, but I was really hoping to see a more dangerous opponent for that guy. Dude is the real deal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Thing with Poirier and Nate is that there is a little heat behind that fight. They've been going back and fourth since the original booking fell apart and it's kind of now or maybe never. You can't justify Nate getting a title shot if Poirier were to beat Oliveira and as much as I like Nate, I can't see him getting enough wins to justify getting a title shot. If Poirier loses (to Oliveira or someone else), it loses a bit of luster and you never know what Nate's going to do. If Poirier can get him now, he should take it.

It's absolutely not what I want to happen, but like @bov said, can you blame him?

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t mind it. He can go fight Nate and if Gaethje beats Chandler you can give him Oliveira

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Dustin has been around long enough and paid his dues. If he stands to benefit more from Diaz or Conor, can you really blame him? I favor him over both, and the title shot will always be there if he continues to win anyway.

Also, can they stop wasting Tsarukyan's time and give him a bigger name already? Giagos is no joke, but I was really hoping to see a more dangerous opponent for that guy. Dude is the real deal.

On one end you say Dustin deserves it and should be able to get out of the line yet still be able to get back in the same spot he was in. But on the other end you're calling for the UFC to stop wasting Tsarukyan's time? I mean wouldn't Dustin be wasting other people's time too if he pulls this kind of crap?

It's very simple, if he doesn't want the title shot then let the division move on and stop wasting other people's time. I get there's entertainment involved, but at some point the UFC needs to treat this as an actual sport and not a shit show.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
On one end you say Dustin deserves it and should be able to get out of the line yet still be able to get back in the same spot he was in. But on the other end you're calling for the UFC to stop wasting Tsarukyan's time? I mean wouldn't Dustin be wasting other people's time too if he pulls this kind of crap?

It's very simple, if he doesn't want the title shot then let the division move on and stop wasting other people's time. I get there's entertainment involved, but at some point the UFC needs to treat this as an actual sport and not a shit show.

The two have nothing to do with one another and the scenarios are not remotely the same.

Tsarukyan is a young, impressive fighter on an upward trajectory and his opponents have arguably been worse as he has progressed. Dustin isn't "pulling" anything and nobody is going to wait on him anyway. If he doesn't want a title shot, then the show will go on. It's pretty simple. He has proven enough already to be deserving of a title shot and if he were to win again outside of that, he doesn't lose any ground. The guy must have close to 25-30 UFC fights by now, he has earned his right to pursue something that is apparently more lucrative than the title.

I am the last person who wants to see things get drowned out by "money fights", but if anything, it keeps that crap out of the title picture for the time being. 155 is good enough where there is almost always a deserving challenger, if not several. I still think Poirier ends up fighting Oliveira and this is just publicity/negotiation tactics but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad