MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I assume it means Oliveira/Poirier is pretty much a done deal at some point later this year as well.

Reactions: darko

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I wonder what the plan is for Beneil.

Beneil's camp said they wanted him to be a backup fighter for the title. Thing is I can't help but think this may be a bad move for him, on one end yes, he could get dibs on the title if that fight falls apart somehow, but the smart thing was to book him against one of Gaethje, Chandler, or Islam in the same night as Oliveira/Poirier, that way if the main event falls apart he can step in. Now he's gonna cut weight and prepare for a match that he's likely not gonna fight, and then what? Probably get booked to fight Islam beginning of next year for a title eliminator (Should Islam beat RDA that is).

If I'm Beneil's management, screw this backup fighter stuff and just take the rest of the year off. Islam will likely get the victory here and will be ready beginning of 2022 for a title eliminator.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Getting Jan/Glover and Sterling/Yan on free TV would be pretty cool. I can't imagine that PPV would sell all that well either so they'd get a lot more eyes on it this way.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Really hope this fight actually happens - the build-up should be cringy as hell but the fight will be great.

Not sure about Garbrandt dropping, but this is a pretty fun fight for his first one.

Glad this got booked. It was the obvious fight to make but we all know that doesn't always work out. Obviously would have preferred a 5 round fight but that card should be great and I'm not going to complain about the free part.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Beneil's camp said they wanted him to be a backup fighter for the title. Thing is I can't help but think this may be a bad move for him, on one end yes, he could get dibs on the title if that fight falls apart somehow, but the smart thing was to book him against one of Gaethje, Chandler, or Islam in the same night as Oliveira/Poirier, that way if the main event falls apart he can step in. Now he's gonna cut weight and prepare for a match that he's likely not gonna fight, and then what? Probably get booked to fight Islam beginning of next year for a title eliminator (Should Islam beat RDA that is).

If I'm Beneil's management, screw this backup fighter stuff and just take the rest of the year off. Islam will likely get the victory here and will be ready beginning of 2022 for a title eliminator.

I know Dariush wanted some time off since he was having a kid anyway, so maybe this all works out for him. He's the obvious fill-in if anyone drops off. I would also still be fine with him just fighting Dan Hooker on one of these cards. I know it doesn't completely make sense in terms of rankings but it's still a quality fight that keeps him busy. He's probably still 2 fights away from a title shot anyway.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I know Dariush wanted some time off since he was having a kid anyway, so maybe this all works out for him. He's the obvious fill-in if anyone drops off. I would also still be fine with him just fighting Dan Hooker on one of these cards. I know it doesn't completely make sense in terms of rankings but it's still a quality fight that keeps him busy. He's probably still 2 fights away from a title shot anyway.

He's one fight away from a title shot, not two. The guy is on a 7 fight win streak, his last two opponents were top-10 and top-5, if his next victory is against anyone in the current top-5 then it's a title shot after that.

Also if his management got him to fight Hooker next then I'd question if they have the best intentions for him. Nothing against Hooker and I think he's a great fighter, but you don't matchup a guy that close to the belt to a #8 guy on a two fight losing streak. Hooker should probably fight Tony Ferguson next, that fight makes most sense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's one fight away from a title shot, not two. The guy is on a 7 fight win streak, his last two opponents were top-10 and top-5, if his next victory is against anyone in the current top-5 then it's a title shot after that.

Also if his management got him to fight Hooker next then I'd question if they have the best intentions for him. Nothing against Hooker and I think he's a great fighter, but you don't matchup a guy that close to the belt to a #8 guy on a two fight losing streak. Hooker should probably fight Tony Ferguson next, that fight makes most sense.

I don't disagree that Dariush is one fight away based on merit, but he needs to fight a top guy to earn that title shot. Poirier will likely fight Oliveira, Chandler is fighting Gaethje. That brings us to the end of this year. Then next year, we are likely looking at the two winners of those fights facing each other. And then by that time in 2022, you have Conor and Islam both possibly in the mix as well. So how how does Dariush get that fight to earn the title shot?

I am only suggesting Hooker in that if Dariush wants a fight that's probably his only option for the near future. Not everyone can afford to sit out a year and wait for a fight, so I'm not sure if he can. If he can wait, then sure. If he wants to stay in shape and be ready if any of the top 4 guys fall out of these fights this fall, that's fine too.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I don't disagree that Dariush is one fight away based on merit, but he needs to fight a top guy to earn that title shot. Poirier will likely fight Oliveira, Chandler is fighting Gaethje. That brings us to the end of this year. Then next year, we are likely looking at the two winners of those fights facing each other. And then by that time in 2022, you have Conor and Islam both possibly in the mix as well. So how how does Dariush get that fight to earn the title shot?

I am only suggesting Hooker in that if Dariush wants a fight that's probably his only option for the near future. Not everyone can afford to sit out a year and wait for a fight, so I'm not sure if he can. If he can wait, then sure. If he wants to stay in shape and be ready if any of the top 4 guys fall out of these fights this fall, that's fine too.

He said he can be ready end of this year or early next year. He fought in May and this would be like 6-8 month layoff, which he has had before, so not exactly out of action.

I think they could have booked him vs Islam end of this year to be honest, but looks like their manager whom they share has other plans. Best case scenario now is Islam beats RDA and faces Dariush for number one contender early 2022. Guys like Hooker and McGregor have no business being in the title picture nor fighting guys that close to the title for the time being.

Reactions: m9

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He said he can be ready end of this year or early next year. He fought in May and this would be like 6-8 month layoff, which he has had before, so not exactly out of action.

I think they could have booked him vs Islam end of this year to be honest, but looks like their manager whom they share has other plans. Best case scenario now is Islam beats RDA and faces Dariush for number one contender early 2022. Guys like Hooker and McGregor have no business being in the title picture nor fighting guys that close to the title for the time being.
Why not? He looked great against Poirier

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Why hold Islam up 2 or 3 months for Dariush?

If Dariush wants to take time because he's having a kid or whatever his reasoning was, that's fine, but the division moves on without him. Dariush is not a big enough name to hold anything up for.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Right, but you completely missed my point. Who is Dariush going to fight later this year if not someone like Hooker? Everyone is booked up or soon will be.

I am fine with Dariush waiting but again, if he wants a fight and wants to get paid he's going to have to be a bit creative with his next fight.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Conor vs Tony is the fight to make if either of them get back to it. They are on the downside at this point. I think both of them should retire TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad