MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Right, but you completely missed my point. Who is Dariush going to fight later this year if not someone like Hooker? Everyone is booked up or soon will be.

I am fine with Dariush waiting but again, if he wants a fight and wants to get paid he's going to have to be a bit creative with his next fight.

He fights no one, just wait for a top-5 to be available. Fighting a guy outside the top-5 on a two fight losing streak is a stupid move for him unless the UFC tells him that a victory over Hooker makes him next for the title, in which I'm sure he will take it.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Why hold Islam up 2 or 3 months for Dariush?

If Dariush wants to take time because he's having a kid or whatever his reasoning was, that's fine, but the division moves on without him. Dariush is not a big enough name to hold anything up for.

I mean not really, he could just want until beginning of next year if Islam wins and they can have a title fight eliminator. People make it sound like he's taking a year off.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He fights no one, just wait for a top-5 to be available. Fighting a guy outside the top-5 on a two fight losing streak is a stupid move for him unless the UFC tells him that a victory over Hooker makes him next for the title, in which I'm sure he will take it.

Again, I am just saying that if he doesn't want to take around an entire year off he is probably going to have to take another fight in the meantime because he's a bit f***ed by the timeline of everything. If his plan is to be the backup for all the fights in the fall and then fight the RDA/Islam winner in the Spring that's fine, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he booked another fight in the meantime so he can make some money.

Dariush's agent also needs to have some self-awareness for who he is in the division. So far he is already behind Poirier for a title shot, then the Chandler/Gaethje winner, then they could just potentially give the shot to Islam with a win over RDA. Then Conor will be back at some point. Don't get boxed out here because you think Dariush is some star.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I mean not really, he could just want until beginning of next year if Islam wins and they can have a title fight eliminator. People make it sound like he's taking a year off.
It would be pretty bold for someone with Dariush's resume and name value (or lack thereof) to assume he would be placed immediately into a title eliminator fight after sitting out for 8-9 months. Sure it could happen, but they could just as easily match up Islam/RDA with one of the losers of Oliveira-Poirier or Gaethje-Chandler instead. You also never know about injuries, new guys coming into the division, guys shooting up the rankings, the champ taking some time off, right or wrong Conor or Nate dropping into things.

It's best to stay active unless you have some leverage over the UFC or the other fighters. Dariush has none.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Again, I am just saying that if he doesn't want to take around an entire year off he is probably going to have to take another fight in the meantime because he's a bit f***ed by the timeline of everything. If his plan is to be the backup for all the fights in the fall and then fight the RDA/Islam winner in the Spring that's fine, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he booked another fight in the meantime so he can make some money.

If he wants to make money and those are his only options, then that's a different story, but if he's willing to wait until the start of 2022 then he should fight the winner of Islam/RDA.

Dariush's agent also needs to have some self-awareness for who he is in the division. So far he is already behind Poirier for a title shot, then the Chandler/Gaethje winner, then they could just potentially give the shot to Islam with a win over RDA. Then Conor will be back at some point. Don't get boxed out here because you think Dariush is some star.

Dariush's agent has Islam's best interest in mind given his relationship with Khabib. He pretty much tries not to matchup any of his guys unless it's a title fight and at the very moment, this might screw Beneil since Ali's two other top-5 fighters seem to have the proper ranked matches. The right matchup to make was Dariush vs Makachev for the title shot, that's clearly what Dana was going for and it could have been booked for Nov/Dec, but looks like Ali has other plans.

Also Connor getting an immediate title shot upon his return would be straight up WWE shit. He's not coming back until at least next summer, and for him to even have a consideration for a title shot Poirier would need to be the champ.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If he wants to make money and those are his only options, then that's a different story, but if he's willing to wait until the start of 2022 then he should fight the winner of Islam/RDA.

Dariush's agent has Islam's best interest in mind given his relationship with Khabib. He pretty much tries not to matchup any of his guys unless it's a title fight and at the very moment, this might screw Beneil since Ali's two other top-5 fighters seem to have the proper ranked matches. The right matchup to make was Dariush vs Makachev for the title shot, that's clearly what Dana was going for and it could have been booked for Nov/Dec, but looks like Ali has other plans.

Also Connor getting an immediate title shot upon his return would be straight up WWE shit. He's not coming back until at least next summer, and for him to even have a consideration for a title shot Poirier would need to be the champ.

I'm not suggesting Conor gets an immediate title shot, I'm just saying if he comes back next summer and wins a big fight he will be in line for a title shot fairly quickly.

We'll see what happens with Dariush. He should stay ready this fall - chances are not all 6 guys in these big fights stay healthy.

member 51464

Somebody really doesn’t want to fight the boogeyman after all that talk

Yep, after reading this and doing a little research, it seems Pfizer could be full approved by around the time school starts in the fall.

Methinks Chandler is going to have his bitch card pulled pretty hard on this.

Also, it is weird to me that Gaethje's last fight wasn't like two years ago. I have no idea why, but it seems like he has not fought in absolutely ages.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yep, after reading this and doing a little research, it seems Pfizer could be full approved by around the time school starts in the fall.

Also, it is weird to me that Gaethje's last fight wasn't like two years ago. I have no idea why, but it seems like he has not fought in absolutely ages.

It feels like a decade when he doesn’t grace us with his violence every 6 months

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Reading this I"m like oh yeah, I got something that's not fully approved. Someone should remind Chandler that many things he consumes in the U.S. including vitamins and supplliments are also not approved by the FDA. I'm all for people's choice on the matter and I honestly don't think he's ducking Gaethje.

Yeah, Gaethje needs to get back in there.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Khabib went on Mike Tyson's Hotboxin' podcast. The episode could have potentially been a huge wasted opportunity with Tyson clearly not knowing too much about him but either Tyson or his people were smart enough to sign up Henry Cejudo to co-host and he took the lead with the questioning so it's actually a pretty good listen.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dana said Stipe is ready to fight Jones. I really wish Jones would stop ******* around and accept that fight.

This is probably the fight I want to see more than any other fight right now. Would be great if it happened.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Gane actually opened as a slight favorite against Ngannou, that surprised me. I believe it's pretty much even now.

I'm also surprised Jones isn't interested in the Stipe fight. He doesn't have some of that scary type power some of the other HWs have, and my guess is they'd be fairly similarly sized. Not to mention many would argue that's the HW GOAT. Seems like a good fight for him to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad