MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I think Bones has finally committed to the HW division. He looks massive on his social media posts. The question now is does Bones jump the line and go right into a title fight with Stipe? I respect what Francis has done but I would LOVE to see Bones vs. Stipe next.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bones had a very cringe-worthy twitter rant again where he was definitely not mad. Took some more shots at DC

I thought this was 10-8 DC. Jones will probably be in jail by 41

Reactions: pistolpete11

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I wasn't sure it was going to happen even after all the talk but both guys have signed now. Great fight at the top of the division and whoever wins should get the next title shot. Letting Conor jump over other contenders after beating Cerrone didn't seem right but you can't deny him if he beats Poirier.

My first thought on the fight is favouring Conor because Poirier still gets hit a lot. If Poirier survives early though, it could end up being a rough night for Conor. We know Poirier won't stop unless he gets finished.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Tsarukyan vs Haqparast for 257. Great matchup, I think Tsarukyan is a bit too much for him but fun fight nonetheless.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Poirier has improved so much since their first fight and I doubt Conor has improved at all the last 2-3 years. I expect this fight to be much closer than the last one and could go either way. I've always thought this was a weird rematch for Conor to take, especially with potential fights like Ferguson & Gaethje out there. But whatever, I'll be watching.

As for Jones/Cormier arguing on Twitter in 2020.. who cares?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Bones has finally committed to the HW division. He looks massive on his social media posts. The question now is does Bones jump the line and go right into a title fight with Stipe? I respect what Francis has done but I would LOVE to see Bones vs. Stipe next.

They should do Ngannou/Miocic next, but Jones can jump the rest of the line and fight the winner.

But really until stuff gets signed, it's hard for me to care. The inactivity of Miocic drives me crazy, which sucks because I really like him as a fighter and he also seems like a great guy. I'm just completely fed up with this division being held up the last 2-3 years.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I wasn't sure it was going to happen even after all the talk but both guys have signed now. Great fight at the top of the division and whoever wins should get the next title shot. Letting Conor jump over other contenders after beating Cerrone didn't seem right but you can't deny him if he beats Poirier.

My first thought on the fight is favouring Conor because Poirier still gets hit a lot. If Poirier survives early though, it could end up being a rough night for Conor. We know Poirier won't stop unless he gets finished.

I agree with everything here.

Nobody should complain about him getting a title shot if he beats Poirier. People still will because it's Conor, but they shouldn't.

Poirier is one of my favorite fighters, but I favor Conor, too. I think the skill gap has narrowed if not completely closed since their first meeting, but it's a style thing. As you said, Poirier gets hit a lot and Conor hits hard. Eddie went to war with guys like Poirier (twice) and Gaethje, but when he got hit by Conor, it was a different thing. Maybe those fast twitch muscles have slowed down for Conor on this side of 30, but my money would be on it being enough.

Just sayin'...after Conor lost to Khabib, my picks for his return fight were:

1. Poirier
2. Cowboy
3. Nate

Took longer than I was hoping for, but scratch out the top 2. If he loses to Poirier, my bet would be on the Nate trilogy and then retirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

That’s a wild submission

Luke Thomas just said Mckee-otine. I’m good with calling it that, idk if I’ve ever seen that before. That’s more of a crank than anything. Tapology calling it a modified neck crank from guard. Never seen anything like it. Kid is dynamite

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

That’s a wild submission

Luke Thomas just said Mckee-otine. I’m good with calling it that, idk if I’ve ever seen that before. That’s more of a crank than anything. Tapology calling it a modified neck crank from guard. Never seen anything like it. Kid is dynamite

That's one of those weird moves where if I were a ref I'd be freaking out over the potential spine damage that might be happening there. Mckee had crazy torque on that guy's neck.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
They should do Ngannou/Miocic next, but Jones can jump the rest of the line and fight the winner.

But really until stuff gets signed, it's hard for me to care. The inactivity of Miocic drives me crazy, which sucks because I really like him as a fighter and he also seems like a great guy. I'm just completely fed up with this division being held up the last 2-3 years.
And I think the most unfortunate part is you have a very marketable guy in Ngannou, who wants to be active, who IMO will beat Miocic. So instead of Ngannou as champ fighting 3 times a year you have the division essentially stalled for the past couple of years.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
In terms of Conor-Poirier, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We've already seen it, and while Poirier is certainly better now, I'd much rather see a matchup we haven't seen, particularly Conor-Gaethje. I think Conor walks right through Ferguson, but even that would've been a much "bigger" fight.

The conspiracy theorist in me always feels like they want to give Conor the most beatable big name, like Cowboy for instance. So that makes sense for Poirier over Gaethje, but I think Ferguson would've fit both.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think I saw Conor -220, DP +180

Poirier is slick and is much better at 155 than 145. Would be interesting

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
And I think the most unfortunate part is you have a very marketable guy in Ngannou, who wants to be active, who IMO will beat Miocic. So instead of Ngannou as champ fighting 3 times a year you have the division essentially stalled for the past couple of years.

In terms of Conor-Poirier, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We've already seen it, and while Poirier is certainly better now, I'd much rather see a matchup we haven't seen, particularly Conor-Gaethje. I think Conor walks right through Ferguson, but even that would've been a much "bigger" fight.

The conspiracy theorist in me always feels like they want to give Conor the most beatable big name, like Cowboy for instance. So that makes sense for Poirier over Gaethje, but I think Ferguson would've fit both.
Not sure how you can make these posts back-to-back. There's no need to see Conor-Poirier 2 since we've already seen it, but Francis will beat Stipe?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

The dude that flatlined Izzy making his return to MMA and man oh man he’s got freak power. Guy was unconscious for awhile

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Not sure how you can make these posts back-to-back. There's no need to see Conor-Poirier 2 since we've already seen it, but Francis will beat Stipe?
Just my opinion obviously, but all rematches aren't created equal. Poirier has certainly improved, but has he completely closed the gap? I don't think he has. 155 has a lot of talent, plenty of options for Conor that would be more interesting IMO.

That's not the case at HW. Outside of Jones I can't even think of a guy you could attempt to sell as title shot worthy. Also, I think I saw Conor at around -220. Not outrageous by any means, but my guess is Ngannou is either even or favored against Miocic.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Just my opinion obviously, but all rematches aren't created equal. Poirier has certainly improved, but has he completely closed the gap? I don't think he has. 155 has a lot of talent, plenty of options for Conor that would be more interesting IMO.

That's not the case at HW. Outside of Jones I can't even think of a guy you could attempt to sell as title shot worthy. Also, I think I saw Conor at around -220. Not outrageous by any means, but my guess is Ngannou is either even or favored against Miocic.

Blaydes?

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
That's certainly the logical choice (with a win next week obviously). But I don't know, maybe it's just me, does that fight really excite you? Personally I'd far prefer Ngannou. Especially when you consider the fact that Ngannou has already beaten Blaydes twice, most recently in absolute dominant fashion.

I probably should have said I can't think of anyone else at HW that would be sellable as an interesting matchup. Because just in terms of rankings and win streak, Blaydes could certainly be sold as deserving, it's just not terribly exciting.

HW is extremely thin on talent right now unfortunately. There's a very clear gap between Ngannou/Miocic and everyone else IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad