MLSE Worried About TV Ratings for Leafs

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
That's not fair to say at all. Burke put us in a great position going forward (blown picks of Biggs, Ross and Ryan notwithstanding) and was an organizational LEADER. A strong one, at that, who could work the cap and the phones. Nonis is none of those things. The team and organization are utterly directionless.

Gota say, I didn't even really care for Burke but this is dead on. He might have been a blow hard but at least he was a strong figure at the helm of the team, whether or not he made some of the wrong/right moves. He really had some serious passion and he put it on display for the entire city, which was a somewhat reassuring thing to see. He would also take the heat for his players, and wasn't scared to make a big move.

Remember how Burke didn't even want to hand out contracts above 5 years? Burke would have looked at what Clarkson was looking for and personally told him to go elsewhere (lets not even get started on Bolland).

Nonis is a shill compared to Burke.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gota say, I didn't even really care for Burke but this is dead on. He might have been a blow hard but at least he was a strong figure at the helm of the team, whether or not he made some of the wrong/right moves. He really had some serious passion and he put it on display for the entire city, which was a somewhat reassuring thing to see.

Remember how Burke didn't even want to hand out contracts above 5 years? Burke would have looked at what Clarkson was looking for and personally told him to go elsewhere.

I literally cringe when I see Nonis. He's a slimy fat ****, and ridiculously stupid.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
People haven't stopped watching because the team sucks, they stopped watching because this is possibly the most boring, uninspired collection of players in over a decade. Seriously, this fan base has had to endure some CRAPPY teams over the years, but they usually at least had some redeeming qualities.

The only chance this team had was to outscore their problems every game. They prematurely blew all their offence in the first half of the season and now they've become completely impotent.

I'd rather watch McKegg, Leivo, Holzer and guys like that get manhandled over overpaid scrubs like Phaneuf and Clarkson. At least the young guys try hard and haven't been so indoctrinated with idea that simply showing up for 20 games a season is acceptable. The only ones on our team that seem to care are career bottom six players and the young guys like Kadri and Rielly. Rielly has played 5 straight games of better hockey than Phaneuf ever has all season. Anyone who argues this, save yourself some time, rip the band-aid and head on over to the Hawks board, or the Pens board right now.

Ace88*

Gota say, I didn't even really care for Burke but this is dead on. He might have been a blow hard but at least he was a strong figure at the helm of the team, whether or not he made some of the wrong/right moves. He really had some serious passion and he put it on display for the entire city, which was a somewhat reassuring thing to see. He would also take the heat for his players, and wasn't scared to make a big move.

Remember how Burke didn't even want to hand out contracts above 5 years? Burke would have looked at what Clarkson was looking for and personally told him to go elsewhere (lets not even get started on Bolland).

The reason i loved Burke is that whether you agree or disagree with him, hate him or love him, you always knew where he stood. In this day and age of over the top PR garbage that was invaluable to have. Team playing ******? Burke would stand in front of them and take the heat then do everything he could to make a change. Shady cap circumventing deals handed out like candy? Burke stood his ground even though everyone was clamouring for us to sign X player to Y idiotic 12 year deal (and he was right). People gave him **** because he had a two week head start on the Christmas trade freeze for his players. People gave him **** for that! I still can't believe it.

For all his warts and stubbornness, Burke was and is a man of strong integrity, character, and moral value. He was the rock of the Maple Leafs organization and i just hate how he was fired. He was a doer. He was, as i've said twice now, a phenomenal, undisputed leader. We're seeing now the value in that.

Meanwhile i don't even think Nonis believes the BS that dribbles out of his own mouth.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The reason i loved Burke is that whether you agree or disagree with him, hate him or love him, you always knew where he stood. In this day and age of over the top PR garbage that was invaluable to have. Team playing ******? Burke would stand in front of them and take the heat then do everything he could to make a change. Shady cap circumventing deals handed out like candy? Burke stood his ground even though everyone was clamouring for us to sign X player to Y idiotic 12 year deal (and he was right). People gave him **** because he had a two week head start on the Christmas trade freeze for his players. People gave him **** for that! I still can't believe it.

For all his warts and stubbornness, Burke was and is a man of strong integrity, character, and moral value. He was the rock of the Maple Leafs organization and i just hate how he was fired. He was a doer. He was, as i've said twice now, a phenomenal, undisputed leader. We're seeing now the value in that.

Meanwhile i don't even think Nonis believes the BS that dribbles out of his own mouth.

as someone who doesn't like Burke this is very very true. You always knew he stood, and he created his own Waterloos and was prepared to go down with it.

(which is why I think Shanahan gets grief (rightly or wrongly) for not being out there and saying anything. he's very... i'll say the word selective, where Burke would just be "screw this, this is this, and that is that.

I wish I could find the podcast that broke down all of Burke's moves in Vancouver/Anaheim/here and how they were comparable, different and how it would affect Toronto. it was very informative but my ipod crashed and i haven't been able to find it again.

(i agree with you with the Sportsnet/TSN thing). I don't like Sportsnet at all. they did way too much, way too soon, changed a lot of things that worked, (will give them credit -I do like hometown hockey.) everyone on sportsnet yells at each other they are hokey. there is a reason why they wanted all of TSN's talent, and it is showing. I never miss a TSN broadcast and i watch out of town (when possible) if sportsnet has it

but - I firmly believe.
if the team is trending the right way - everyone will be watching. game 7 smashed television records, and drew more eyeballs than any game in the cup finals. this team sells. they [MLSE] just needs to make sure they build it right, and it's viable.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
Didn't renew cable this year, and have been streaming Leafs games. Sorry guys, was my fault.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
If it works but intentional tanking in hopes of losing will see TV viewers fall way off as many will have no interest in following a bottoming out team.

If Fans are not turning in to watch Kessel and Phaneuf then they are even less likely to watch McKegg, Brown, Finn and Granberg filled NHL roster and getting beaten regularly and at the bottom of the NHL standings.

A winning team has improved TV ratings and more viewers while the opposite is true for a loser.

I don't agree. It's not just the losing that is making people watch something else. It's the Groundhog Day approach every year to how they manage this team. They suck balls yet they are up against the cap and no where near a top 3 pick. They are in hockey purgatory every year and have gone through 12 volumes of quick fixes.

That Mirtle article a few weeks ago chronically get the last few dencodes made me cringe. JFJ gave up something like 3 1sts, 3 2nds and Rask for Raycroft, Wesley, Leetch (28 games), and Francis (all of these guys at the end of thier deals and careers) or something like that. It's ownership that forces these kind of brutal decisions in asset management.

People would support a true rebuild but we most likely will never get one.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
People haven't stopped watching because the team sucks, they stopped watching because this is possibly the most boring, uninspired collection of players in over a decade. Seriously, this fan base has had to endure some CRAPPY teams over the years, but they usually at least had some redeeming qualities.

The only chance this team had was to outscore their problems every game. They prematurely blew all their offence in the first half of the season and now they've become completely impotent.

I'd rather watch McKegg, Leivo, Holzer and guys like that get manhandled over overpaid scrubs like Phaneuf and Clarkson. At least the young guys try hard and haven't been so indoctrinated with idea that simply showing up for 20 games a season is acceptable. The only ones on our team that seem to care are career bottom six players and the young guys like Kadri and Rielly. Rielly has played 5 straight games of better hockey than Phaneuf ever has all season. Anyone who argues this, save yourself some time, rip the band-aid and head on over to the Hawks board, or the Pens board right now.
at least gary leeman and rick vaive scored 50 goals .......kessel gets a stoppable 5 hole go and we anoint him savior again

this is a crappy team .....and sugar coat it all u want ,burke and nonis tried to assemble a playoff team ,not a championship team , and hence this is what u get ,
losing against other crap teams ,this team may only win 5 more games this year

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Going back to just before the win streak, I think I started PVR'ing every game. I just couldn't stomach the way they played (same as last year), and well the same thing is and now occurring.

Why would I waste 3 hours of my time when the team, and organization lacks so much direction. If they lose with talent on the ice and a long term goal, I'm OK with that. We have been losing all the time anyway for no good reason, why not get some blue chip prospects.

So I will continue to do my Leafs in 30 minutes.. and hope the trade deadline brings some changes, but being a leaf fan I highly doubt it, and soon we will have so many 18 wheelers MLSE will start some type of transport business. (Which naturally never makes it to it's destination).

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't even buy this "casual fans stop watching" garbage. I've been a dedicated fan my whole damn life but it's to the point that if they go down by 3 goals, at any point in the game, I turn it off because they don't have anyone who can sack up and start a comeback. February will be the down-by-two goals rule.
And don't get me started on Strombo at the intermission. I'd rather not see an aging hipster in skinny jeans host a hockey show with what appears as no hockey knowledge what-so-ever.

UGH...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Sportsnet - 19 Games
HNIC - 13 Games
TSN - 15 Games
City - 2 Games

A lot of people crapping on Sportsnet's coverage, but is 4 games really the difference that most people are turning away?

Or could the major reason be that the team isn't good and the average fan doesn't want to tune in to watch this tire fire.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I stopped watching.
After the team is blown up, I might start again.
I had already stopped watching and then Carlyle got fired.
Thought I'd see how things would go.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
MLSE should certainly be concerned and I think there are many reasons why the ratings are down:

-- The Rogers deal has destroyed a lot of goodwill. As someone alluded to, they have flooded the channels with hockey, so there is a much easier out than watching a poor Leafs team. They've also taken a 60-year old institution, took it out back and put it to pasture. No small tweaks, no gradual changes -- just one big overhaul that's driven a lot of fans away. Now, fans are left with less Coaches Corner, Ron MacLean in exile, no After Hours, a new host who is out of place, a new crappy theme song, no montages, a bunch of bozos that qualify as insiders/talking heads. Fans aren't happy with that.

-- The on-ice product stinks. Just flat out horrible. Fans don't want to watch a team that looks like it couldn't be bothered.

-- There is no one identifiable player that fans can latch on to. The captain is a huge stiff both on and off the ice. Seriously, who finds him endearing? The star forward is just there (which is fine). After that, it's a mish-mash group which shows no signs of a bright future save for a few individuals (Rielly, Kadri, Gardiner, Bernier*).

-- People are starting to pay more attention to the Raptors. Heck, I've never been much of a basketball fan, but the team has won me over. They work hard, are extremely likeable, and are winning. All factors the Leafs don't have. And when spring training for the Jays starts in a few weeks, it will only complicate matters.

Time for MLSE to blow it up. Fans are more than willing to sit through a rebuild if it will lead to a strong core and continued success down the road. The last decade and all of 3 stinkin' playoff dates to show for it should be reason enough to realize that continually cutting corners won't get the team ahead. In fact, it has just set the franchise back years. They should only imagine how things would be today if a rebuild was set in motion years back when it should have. Particularly in a day where media and its properties have never been bigger.

Miller91

Jan 2, 2009
Sportsnet - 19 Games
HNIC - 13 Games
TSN - 15 Games
City - 2 Games

A lot of people crapping on Sportsnet's coverage, but is 4 games really the difference that most people are turning away?

Or could the major reason be that the team isn't good and the average fan doesn't want to tune in to watch this tire fire.

You do realize that Sportsnets, HNIC, and City are all the same broadcast crew right? Sportnets Coverage of 34 games has been HORRENDOUS. I used to be excited for Saturday night or Wednesday night hockey - now I have it on mute because I don't want to hear any of these people (saved for Friedman) talk.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
First time in over 15 years that I don't care if the Leafs are playing. I can probably count on one hand how many games i've sat from beginning to end this season. And those were games I attended in person.

I hope they don't use this as a reason to expedite a proper rebuild. In fact I hope they use this as a reason to finally do things right. But history says otherwise. This could go either way. And I think we're all ready to do things right now, despite the lowered ratings.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
-- People are starting to pay more attention to the Raptors. Heck, I've never been much of a basketball fan, but the team has won me over. They work hard, are extremely likeable, and are winning. All factors the Leafs don't have. And when spring training for the Jays starts in a few weeks, it will only complicate matters.

Huh, I never realized but yeah, the Raptors and Leafs are night and day from each other. No surprise one team is growing in popularity while the other continues to drop in that regard.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
as someone who doesn't like Burke this is very very true. You always knew he stood, and he created his own Waterloos and was prepared to go down with it.

(which is why I think Shanahan gets grief (rightly or wrongly) for not being out there and saying anything. he's very... i'll say the word selective, where Burke would just be "screw this, this is this, and that is that.

I wish I could find the podcast that broke down all of Burke's moves in Vancouver/Anaheim/here and how they were comparable, different and how it would affect Toronto. it was very informative but my ipod crashed and i haven't been able to find it again.

(i agree with you with the Sportsnet/TSN thing). I don't like Sportsnet at all. they did way too much, way too soon, changed a lot of things that worked, (will give them credit -I do like hometown hockey.) everyone on sportsnet yells at each other they are hokey. there is a reason why they wanted all of TSN's talent, and it is showing. I never miss a TSN broadcast and i watch out of town (when possible) if sportsnet has it

but - I firmly believe.
if the team is trending the right way - everyone will be watching. game 7 smashed television records, and drew more eyeballs than any game in the cup finals. this team sells. they [MLSE] just needs to make sure they build it right, and it's viable.

Burke was/is a foul mouthed buffoon. He failed to carry through on most of his blustery promises!

Where is John Tavares? Not with our Leafs! :shakehead

Where is our pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence? Oh, right, that's Phil Kessel's game summed up to a tee! :sarcasm:

I could go on, but, what's the point! Let's just say that Brian Burke did this franchise NO FAVOURS! :shakehead

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
We just want them to do it right.... You literally have to draft your core pieces these days. For some reason out idiot owners think quick fixes for TV ratings is the best way. If they draft some high end cornerstone pieces the ratings will be huge for years to come. Rogers and Bell are a joke.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't agree. It's not just the losing that is making people watch something else. It's the Groundhog Day approach every year to how they manage this team. They suck balls yet they are up against the cap and no where near a top 3 pick. They are in hockey purgatory every year and have gone through 12 volumes of quick fixes.

That Mirtle article a few weeks ago chronically get the last few dencodes made me cringe. JFJ gave up something like 3 1sts, 3 2nds and Rask for Raycroft, Wesley, Leetch (28 games), and Francis (all of these guys at the end of thier deals and careers) or something like that. It's ownership that forces these kind of brutal decisions in asset management.

People would support a true rebuild but we most likely will never get one.

Who are Leafs target market?

Are they the ones looking for a free stream to watch the Leafs supporting the full draft rebuild

or

The investors, sponsors, luxury box owners, advertisers etc etc that spend 100's of thousands annually on the Leafs?

If you were MLSE who would you cater to?

Hint: MLSE being concerned about poor TV ratings is directed to one group above. ;)

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Games are getting harder and harder to watch...considering cancelling my cable, since Leafs hockey is the only thing I watch on tv these days, what's the point anymore?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: