MLSE Worried About TV Ratings for Leafs

HookeyPlayer

Jan 30, 2012
Maybe this will show them that fans (at least casual ones) wont continue to support perennial losers.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...gs--nonsense---says-bell-media-000827918.html

Blame Toronto: The Toronto Maple Leafs tanked even earlier this season and have scared off a lot of viewers. Leafs regional ratings on TSN are averaging 630,000 viewers in Ontario this season -- a drop of 13 per cent from last year. On Sportsnet, Leafs games are averaging 569,000, down 22 per cent from 2013-14. That diminished interest translates into fewer viewers on the early Saturday night game, which then translates into fewer viewers sticking around for the late game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hope MLSE suffers

Michael Lansberg (Leaf season ticket holder) gave a very good fan based interview on why he's not going to any more Leaf games this year. Just not interested anymore. At least this year so far.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is a major reason TV rights and viewership tied to advertising comercial costs why MLSE would not support a full tank and draft rebuild.

If the Leafs were like the Buffalo Sabres (glorified Marlies roster) now those TV numbers would be much lower than they already are and less fans watching.

Bell and Rogers are both Media moguls as that is their primary business.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This isnt necessarily a good thing. Will make them try for "quick fixes" to keep viewership high next season.

The thing is, I bet viewership would be high for a struggling young team with potential compared to a capmaxed crap team.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
This is a major reason TV rights and viewership tied to advertising comercial costs why MLSE would not support a full tank and draft rebuild.

If the Leafs were like the Buffalo Sabres (glorified Marlies roster) now those TV numbers would be much lower than they already are and less fans watching.

It's funny you say that because an actual full tank and rebuild would almost guarantee a more sustainable future revenue stream.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
All this means is that the team wont tank and will gun for the playoffs now and next year.

Leafspoison*

I'd take Buffalo ownership anyway over Rogers/Bell. Terry and Kim Pegula are the main reasons why there is a new rink in Buffalo and the downtown area is cleaned up and prospering.

Buffalo won't be a laughing stock for very much longer with Tim Murray and Ted Nolan running the show. They are due for another great pick also.

MLSE is a joke. They are a corporation and don't mind producing a losing product as long as it keeps making money.

The problem for the last 47 years has solely been about ownership, from Ballard to the corporations that have owned the leafs and currently own the leafs. The only way to produce a winner in Toronto is with private ownership....but who has that kind of money? If you want MLSE, be prepared to cough up in the neighbourhood of 1.5 to 1.7 billion dollars.

I am glad viewership is down. Its not just about having a crap channel and crap coverage, its more about having a crap team with management that don't have a clue what they are doing.

Nonis (the contract idiot) is totally out of his league right now and giving away picks and crap trades like Gunnarson makes him one of the worst if not the worst in the league and the fact that Shanny hasn't canned him yet, shows Shanny can't see the forest through the trees.

Shanny has nearly a year now, if he doesn't do something by TDL, then he has to go too.

I'd like to see the banners in the air Canada place calling for Nonis's and Shanny's head. Then perhaps Shanny would drop the axe to save his own neck.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I agree that sportsnet's coverage is turning a lot of people off. It's unwatchable. I always look for alternatives. Not sure why anyone would still have leafs tv.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Kypreos stutters trying to find the right word, every segment. Wait for Doug Maclean to raise his voice or talk about Rick Nash. Sportsnet lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's funny you say that because an actual full tank and rebuild would almost guarantee a more sustainable future revenue stream.

If it works but intentional tanking in hopes of losing will see TV viewers fall way off as many will have no interest in following a bottoming out team.

If Fans are not turning in to watch Kessel and Phaneuf then they are even less likely to watch McKegg, Brown, Finn and Granberg filled NHL roster and getting beaten regularly and at the bottom of the NHL standings.

A winning team has improved TV ratings and more viewers while the opposite is true for a loser.

Banana Squid

Sep 26, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City

But don't you think that the ratings would skyrocket if they drafted an elite talent like the two elites in this draft? IMO it's a year of terrible ratings for many years of high ratings. If MLSE can't realize that, them they're more dysfunctional then I thought...

Swayze*

But don't you think that the ratings would skyrocket if they drafted an elite talent like the two elites in this draft? IMO it's a year of terrible ratings for many years of high ratings. If MLSE can't realize that, them they're more dysfunctional then I thought...

Yes they would

Try telling the suit dummies at rogers that

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
This isnt necessarily a good thing. Will make them try for "quick fixes" to keep viewership high next season.

The thing is, I bet viewership would be high for a struggling young team with potential compared to a capmaxed crap team.

I agree. This makes me very nervous.

This market may very well be re-build and tank proof, even though MLSE craps money.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I think I can safely say that if they don't rebuild through the draft, that's just going to piss off viewers even more cause they will not put up with band-aids and players with intangibles anymore at least for the informed fans, so the ball is in MLSE's court

Banana Squid

Sep 26, 2011
Ho Chi Minh City
If it works but intentional tanking in hopes of losing will see TV viewers fall way off as many will have no interest in following a bottoming out team.

If Fans are not turning in to watch Kessel and Phaneuf then they are even less likely to watch McKegg, Brown, Finn and Granberg filled NHL roster and getting beaten regularly and at the bottom of the NHL standings.

A winning team has improved TV ratings and more viewers while the opposite is true for a loser.

I can't say I agree though because we've had a decade of losing hockey, some years were with our stars Kessel and phaneuf. One playoff appearance in that time. Ratings were apparently better in that time them they are now?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

please.

they aren't turning in, because the team has done the exact same thing it always done. come in hot, burn off, and now stinks, while everyone dithers and says "oh yah, this is just a rough patch, things are going to be bad. etc." the team for the most part isn't working hard, they aren't entertaining, and people in this city has had it.

on top of it that tsn only has a few games (and the ones they have left aren't world beater teams either), and sportsnet basically yells at each other - not a lot of people have reason to tune in.

if the organization after it is all said and done, goes "we're heading in a new direction, we're asking everyone to be patient." people will watch. especially if the team works hard.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
why would anyone watch a **** product?

id rather watch a team that i will chear for with young players than watch this crap chearing when we get scored on. Just tank, fans will come back, u keep doing this "push for playoffs" bs people will stop and start resenting the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad