MLSE Worried About TV Ratings for Leafs

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I'm 20 and have watched the leafs religiously since I was 16 but its ridiculous now, same **** every year. Haven't watched a full game for over a month now, probably won't till the seasons over.
I admire someone of your age who has only been watching for 5 years even sticking by this **** show of a team for that long. Get out while you still can is my advice.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
well instead of being a pile of garbage year after year for a decade now, they could have sacrified 2-3 years of basement dwelling with top picks and lower ratings which would have turned into (if the rebuild went successfully) probably more then double the ratings they have now.

People don't give a **** about hockey anymore in Toronto. Raptors are the new thing because whoever is calling the shots for them has actually been showing passion.

I imagine the Leafs with a good rebuild instead of re-tooling would be all the craze now. Who actually gets pumped to watch a Leafs game anymore? Only the delusional.

"what can you do for me now" approach by MLSE opposed to the "what can you become"

We arent DEMANDING a cup winning rebuild team. The fans want a team that at least can make the playoffs and compete, show a future or direction. This team is a despair, headless, no leaders, and it all starts with management for putting it together. Making the playoffs was a fluke in the lockout shortened season, if that was a full season we would have missed the playoffs. But it gave management an excuse to pretend they knew what they were doing again.

We have no identity. I'm not saying Carlyle was a great coach or anyone before him, but when you look at the decisions this team makes they all look like business decisions in comparison to hockey. The blame game and finger pointing at the coaching instead of who put the coach there in the first place, who chose the players and the direction of the team to "re tool".

Carlyle didnt sign Clarkson for 7 years, a zero impact player on a long term contract (just using this deal as an example). This is some Jason Blake type ****. Ville Leino contracts that you should get fired for

Last edited:

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Rogers and Bell have had their duopoly for too long. Let them feel the heat.

Rogers assumes that it can improve upon Hockey Night in Canada just because they're.. rogers. Well, I hope they take the ratings and shove it up their ass.

Thanks for ruining a Saturday night tradition you ego maniacs.

^^ :handclap:

The only talking heads that are entertaining and could keep me watching television even though the product on the ice stinks are Ron McLean, Joe Bowen, and Jim Ralph - and they have now been marginalized while monotone politically-correct white-bread anonymous un-funny wusses get the plum prime-time tv jobs. Its just really really bad now. Like, really bad.

That said, at least analysis guys O-Dog and Kypreos are still allowed to shoot from the hip. When their ilk finally gets muzzled or fired, I'm out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
^^ :handclap:

The only talking heads that are entertaining and could keep me watching television even though the product on the ice stinks are Ron McLean, Joe Bowen, and Jim Ralph - and they have now been marginalized while monotone politically-correct white-bread anonymous un-funny wusses get the plum prime-time tv jobs. Its just really really bad now. Like, really bad.

That said, at least analysis guys O-Dog and Kypreos are still allowed to shoot from the hip. When their ilk finally get muzzled or fired, I'm out.

Hometown guys should call hometown games. We need fans who get excited. Media types that don't just rip our team apart. In this market hockey fans are well aware I feel of how bad the team is doing. Do we really need to hear it all game long? Leave it for the after shows to rip them a new one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hometown guys should call hometown games. We need fans who get excited. Media types that don't just rip our team apart. In this market hockey fans are well aware I feel of how bad the team is doing. Do we really need to hear it all game long? Leave it for the after shows to rip them a new one.

Agreed. Biggest mistake MLSE made regarding TV was removing Bowen.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

That's why the kept Greg Millen. He's an eternal apologist.

I don't mind Bowen's Leafs bias. I'm a Leafs fan and I want to hear more talk about the Leafs during the game than the other team. Millen just gets on my nerves though. It's like he belongs in the cast of Leave it to Beaver.

Although I'll take Chris Cuthbert all day everyday over anyone, who's as professional and unbiased as they come.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Sportsnet being barely bush league isn't helping. They go out and spend millions on this new TV studio (which looks pretty crappy and is really just fancy shapes and bright coloured lights, the whole two-level thing makes NO sense) but they can't even go one week without crippling technical difficulties. It's a god damn joke is what it is. Then they have the yokeliest of self-absorbed yokels gabbing away and bickering with each other. Strombo sucks and looks like a deer in headlights for most segments. Kypreos is a potato. MacLean is an arrogant blowhard. Damien Cox is the biggest poseur in sports television. The whole thing is a giant sham. It's actually hilarious how much better TSN is.

Oh yeah plus the Leafs suck. What a great time to be alive in Leaf nation, **** me.

This. This will deffinitely be shown at dinner tonight and at the SB party tomorrow.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This whole tv ratings thing is best summed up with the question; if the players don't care, why should I?

Games have been boring without passion. Rarely watch anymore. Feel like we have all the softness and lack of passion as the Red Wings without the skill.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Through all of history lousy Leaf teams have gotten good TV ratings.It took the idiots at Rogers and Sportsnet less than six months to screw it up.

They (Rogers)know nothing about hockey and it's fans and have made the leafs a worse team than they already were.If we aren't tanking the incompetence of this corporation is unreal.

No wonder our cable and wireless bills are so high,the corp is disfunctional and out of touch with reality.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeap. Online streams it is.

They are televising sports in 4K resolution in India of all places for probably 5% of the price; and these clowns want $180.

I've been streaming the majority of games for the past 5-6 years. Well, if I don't have cable (which if I have the choice I don't).

Anything can be found on the internet.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone see PJ Stock get hyper and stand up and walk off set? The host said "you should have done that earlier the show would have been better".

Quite amazing across the board hockey programming in Canada has become an irritant. I was pretty tempted to contact CBC and voice it but its more effective here. It looked more like something of a demonstration of the effects of drugs than a sports segment. Not saying or implying he was on drugs of course.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Maybe this will show them that fans (at least casual ones) wont continue to support perennial losers.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...gs--nonsense---says-bell-media-000827918.html

well woop dee do

the numbers are down from massive highs, ohhh the freaken horrors:cry:

I learned about PR lingo ages ago

like when a company cries that they lost say, 20 million this year

when in fact what really happened was they only netted 80 million this year compared to the 100 million last year. ya like I should care for them :shakehead

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Through all of history lousy Leaf teams have gotten good TV ratings.It took the idiots at Rogers and Sportsnet less than six months to screw it up.

They (Rogers)know nothing about hockey and it's fans and have made the leafs a worse team than they already were.If we aren't tanking the incompetence of this corporation is unreal.

No wonder our cable and wireless bills are so high,the corp is disfunctional and out of touch with reality.

Having a gutless and useless CRTC does nothing to help it. There is no real competition for telecoms in Canada and we all suffer as a result, now they've done gone and ****ed with ma hockey!

:rant:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You know you're a absolute joke of a media entity when you believe that quality programming during a hockey is to.

....Rip apart and dissect the team who's fans are actually watching your show. Thank you for the abuse via media.

Fo a lot of fans the constant ripping may as well be the equivalent of having a teacher who constantly calls you stupid.

It's like someone calling your mom names at this point. I literally get angry at some of the stuff said and they wonder why people tune out.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Anyone see PJ Stock get hyper and stand up and walk off set? The host said "you should have done that earlier the show would have been better".

Quite amazing across the board hockey programming in Canada has become an irritant. I was pretty tempted to contact CBC and voice it but its more effective here. It looked more like something of a demonstration of the effects of drugs than a sports segment. Not saying or implying he was on drugs of course.

I remember that.. it may have been George maybe even admitting on air that they've been getting a lot of heat and criticism about how the show is doing. He may have been mocking that idea, who knows. But I remember something weird like that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I remember that.. it may have been George maybe even admitting on air that they've been getting a lot of heat and criticism about how the show is doing. He may have been mocking that idea, who knows. But I remember something weird like that.

You know, I am surprised someone hasn't contacted a Lawyer and a Psychiatrist for an honest professional opinion on this matter because to me this doesn't seem right.

I am serious when I say this programming feels abusive towards Leafs fans.

I don't care what they say after the game but during the game when I have no other choice? What if I am a hockey addict and a leafaholic and this is what I get? Really?

How many people here get irritated by Heally? Probably 90% of Leaf fans will vote yes.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Good. So does that mean we can start getting more Raptors game on the local Sportsnet channels?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You know, I am surprised someone hasn't contacted a Lawyer and a Psychiatrist for an honest professional opinion on this matter because to me this doesn't seem right.

I am serious when I say this programming feels abusive towards Leafs fans.

I don't care what they say after the game but during the game when I have no other choice? What if I am a hockey addict and a leafaholic and this is what I get? Really?

How many people here get irritated by Heally? Probably 90% of Leaf fans will vote yes.

Healy's a negative *******. I also heard Doug Maclean on a radio interview say something like "I'm being told I shouldn't be so negative" or something to that effect.

I think they know they have to change, of course it wouldn't have to be changed if they didn't destroy the perfectly fine HNiC to begin with.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Healy's a negative *******. I also heard Doug Maclean on a radio interview say something like "I'm being told I shouldn't be so negative" or something to that effect.

I think they know they have to change, of course it wouldn't have to be changed if they didn't destroy the perfectly fine HNiC to begin with.

Man honestly, The Leafs are like adopted family to me. The programming on display is not acceptable, some of the antics as well by guys like Stock are so unprofessional it's not even funny.

Hockey for a local market should either pro team or without bias. The negativity is really strange.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Man honestly, The Leafs are like adopted family to me. The programming on display is not acceptable, some of the antics as well by guys like Stock are so unprofessional it's not even funny.

Hockey for a local market should either pro team or without bias. The negativity is really strange.

It may reflect the rest of Canada's resentment towards Toronto in general. I can understand if they've been having to watch this team suck for so long, especially if they're not fans.

But it's pretty screwed up to have us abused in the process, as if the hockey itself wasn't painful enough. :laugh:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

regarding the leafs, I'm not sure negative hurts

from what I gather leafs lunch radio has wicked numbers and 2 of the 3 are ripping these leafs, this organisation a new one

noodles, who is trying his best to post counter arguments is getting shelled and frankly is starting to sound pretty foolish, it's not really his fault, he has very little valid ammunition to work with.

Shwaguy*

^^
If the Raptors were as bad as the Leafs there wouldn't be 10,000 at a game.

yes there would. And there was when they were that bad lol. They're one of the Biggest Markets in the NBA.

they were just as bad only 2 years ago...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
regarding the leafs, I'm not sure negative hurts

from what I gather leafs lunch radio has wicked numbers and 2 of the 3 are ripping these leafs, this organisation a new one

noodles, who is trying his best to post counter arguments is getting shelled and frankly is starting to sound pretty foolish, it's not really his fault, he has very little valid ammunition to work with.

Fantastic that's an after show do you really need it during a game?

It's like watching games with annoying Habs fans picking fun of your team while you're having a few and are starting to get that feeling like you really may just want to punch someone in the mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad