MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Are they regular dimensions field? Yes. And Europe top flight leagues are not fighting for credibility.

The synthetic fields are bad enough but the NYCFC 7vs.7 soccer field is simply laughing stock. Makes the MLS look like a parody.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
But for most casual viewers it's the team playing in a baseball field that makes the league look like a big joke.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Does it look bad when teams play on rugby fields? Because that happens all the time in Europe's top flight leagues.
Other than when Wigan and Hull were in the top flight I am struggling to find other examples of that (other than Old Trafford hosting Magic Weekend/ Super League finals, but those are one offs).

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Ha!

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_231102.jpg
    IMG_20180823_231102.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Viqsi

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Well not the result I wanted, but honestly it was probably the best defensive effort the Galaxy had all season despite the idiotic penalty that we gave up. Felt like we had multiple opportunities to put LAFC away. But good news is that we didn't lost a single game against them this year which 'm more than happy with.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Josef Martinez broke the MLS single season goals record tonight in Atlanta's 2-1 win over Orlando.
Scoring for fun now, a goal per game for the whole season seems like it could really happen now.

And for all of their attacking talent, you could make a case for Gressel being their MVP. Plays multiple positions well without complaint. The swiss army knife type of player every team needs.

Nagbe and Garza may not make it back (or get back to form if they do) but what a bonus it would be. Like late season transfers adding quality depth.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
When you look at the number of goals Martinez scored for Torino and now for Atlanta it sure tells you everything you need to know about MLS comical defending!

Sure he probably improved and plays for the best team in the league but still...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Huddersfield.

Bit different in that it was designed both as a football and RL venue. But that kinda also goes to the main difference that rugby and association football are basically two codes of the same basic idea with similar field requirements..baseball is a very different game and ballparks are designed in a way that makes them very bad fits for anything other than baseball.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When you look at the number of goals Martinez scored for Torino and now for Atlanta it sure tells you everything you need to know about MLS comical defending!

Sure he probably improved and plays for the best team in the league but still...

He said that at Torino they played him out position on the wing. He'd score less goals for a different team, although he's still a very good player in MLS.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA

Of course MLS has worse defending, that's obvious to those with eyes. And given that Serie A is a more defensively oriented league, kind of a non-starter to point this out.

He has improved, not to elite levels. Moving to his more comfortable position has definitely helped.

Compared to the European leagues and their stature, we do take this into perspective/take the record with a grain of salt. But it's still one hell of an accomplishment. Give the man his due.

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It doesn't matter how good he may be relative to another league. It has been a real treat to watch Martinez play in the MLS. He has flash and even if he played for a different team, I think he would still have an opportunity to have set this record. Being the class of the MLS may not mean much in Europe, but it means something in North America. He has played his role beautifully during his time in Atlanta.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
As much as soccer has grown in America and MLS along with it, it's kinda telling though that the MLS 'stars' are basically anonymous. Like Bradley Wright-Phillips is probably still more known in England, primarily for being SWP's brother rather than any playing achievements, than in America. Josef Martinez is just another Latin American in MLS and has zero visibility beyond the league. The MLS players who have some sort of visibility are the foreign retirement stars a la Ibrahimovic and Rooney or perhaps USMNT players who people would know via the World Cup (obviously not so much now given the 2018 absence of the US).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As much as soccer has grown in America and MLS along with it, it's kinda telling though that the MLS 'stars' are basically anonymous. Like Bradley Wright-Phillips is probably still more known in England, primarily for being SWP's brother rather than any playing achievements, than in America. Josef Martinez is just another Latin American in MLS and has zero visibility beyond the league. The MLS players who have some sort of visibility are the foreign retirement stars a la Ibrahimovic and Rooney or perhaps USMNT players who people would know via the World Cup (obviously not so much now given the 2018 absence of the US).
Get someone like that to stick around on a team for multiple years, and tell MLS to get its head out of its ass w/r/t its treating any team without "FC" in its name like shit, and that'll probably improve.

Reactions: sabremike

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
So I looked at Newcastle's XI yesterday as I sat down to watch the game with a friend who is a Chelsea supporter (doesn't watch MLS).
I told him that Miguel Almiron would be the best player in this XI. I watched the full game and am even more confident in that statement. Am I crazy?

Side note, they'd also be better served having Josef Martinez up top over Rondon and I think we will see that with Venezuela in this upcoming cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad