MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Thierry Henry retires from CF Montreal (Montreal Impact); citing pandemic/family after multiple seasons including the bubble and playoff berth in 2020
Playoff berth? The team would not have made the playoffs under regular rules.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
season was split remember, between the Bubble /RTP in Orlando, AND the traditional season that normally follows.
It was one standing though. The Impact finished 9th in the conference (normally out of the playoffs) with only 8 wins in 23 games. And we lost in the Canadian Championship as well.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Hopefully they can find another person to lead the bid because Sacramento deserves it. From the fans to the branding Sacramento has everything that MLS is looking for.

Reactions: Pouchkine

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
That expansion group has been nothing but trouble, might be a bullet dodged for the league.

And I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are better markets in California than Sacramento anyway.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Sacramento's MLS expansion plans have been cancelled, due to the COVID outbreak.

They are still pursuing Sac as an expansion side. They are trying to find another investor. I’d still put money on this happening.
That expansion group has been nothing but trouble, might be a bullet dodged for the league.

And I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are better markets in California than Sacramento anyway.
You are wrong. There is not a single other market that doesn’t already have a team within a couple hour drive that is better.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
They are still pursuing Sac as an expansion side. They are trying to find another investor. I’d still put money on this happening.

You are wrong. There is not a single other market that doesn’t already have a team within a couple hour drive that is better.

We don’t need to get in it again. But San Diego is superior in every way to Sacramento.

Hell the IE is probably superior as well, the only thing Sacramento has going for it, is a state house.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We don’t need to get in it again. But San Diego is superior in every way to Sacramento.

Hell the IE is probably superior as well, the only thing Sacramento has going for it, is a state house.
Southern California already has 2 teams. Sacramento has the fact that there’s no teams near them as the Bay Area is an entirely different region of California than Sacramento.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Southern California already has 2 teams. Sacramento has the fact that there’s no teams near them as the Bay Area is an entirely different region of California than Sacramento.

I guess we do need to again.

Southern California should have more teams! It has the 5 largest counties in the state, and a significantly larger portion of overall population! It’s like people saying California shouldn’t have 2 teams cause North Dakota doesn’t have a team.

San Diego county is the second largest county and lucky for MLS now only has one other major sport to compete with! Let alone the income and Corporate support which both favor SD.

Sacramento is basically a less populated IE with a state house that makes it somewhat famous. There is a reason Shaq called them a “cow town”, good luck signing international players there. San Diego on the other hand would be an amazing destination.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Southern California should have more teams! It has the 5 largest counties in the state, and a significantly larger portion of overall population! It’s like people saying California shouldn’t have 2 teams cause North Dakota doesn’t have a team.

San Diego county is the second largest county and lucky for MLS now only has one other major sport to compete with! Let alone the income and Corporate support which both favor SD.

Sacramento is basically a less populated IE with a state house that makes it somewhat famous. There is a reason they play out of the “cow palace”, good luck signing international players there. San Diego on the other hand would be an amazing destination.
yeah...

but where do u put a SSS in San Diego? you're not touching Petco

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
yeah...

but where do u put a SSS in San Diego? you're not touching Petco

That unfortunately I can’t speak to, as I have been to SD on many occasions but couldn’t speak to wear a good stadium location would be.

But since when has a viable stadium ever been an MLS requirement

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bad PR with the expansion Charlotte team too. They are asking for PSLs and their season tickets are insanely expensive for MLS.

also bad - FC Cincinnati’s kit release video. Did the whole local angle and first responder angle which is great but also highlighted a bunch of horrific looking Ohio food that I wouldn’t feed my dog.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That unfortunately I can’t speak to, as I have been to SD on many occasions but couldn’t speak to wear a good stadium location would be.

it has been since expansion began.... there just aren't enough venues in the existing markets to achieve that, however...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Sacramento is basically a less populated IE with a state house that makes it somewhat famous. There is a reason Shaq called them a “cow town”, good luck signing international players there. San Diego on the other hand would be an amazing destination.
They’re already signing former MLS players and international players in the USL.

Also guess what! Shaq is a damn clown. People are also leaving the Bay Area and LA area and coming to Sac. Oh also your stupid one sport argument is dumb since it’s the same in Sac who have sat through the Kings being god awful for like 15-20 years and supported a new arena.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not opposed to San Diego getting a team at some point, but I think Sacramento has everything but a stable owner. Loyal fanbase, stadium plan in place and local leadership behind them. If you want to talk about the market, okay its not as flashy as San Diego, but its got everything else that MLS has been looking for sans ownership. They may have actually dodged a bullet because he seemed kind of sketchy since they got awarded expansion

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

I agree with San Diego, IE absolutely not.

I'm not opposed to San Diego getting a team at some point, but I think Sacramento has everything but a stable owner. Loyal fanbase, stadium plan in place and local leadership behind them. If you want to talk about the market, okay its not as flashy as San Diego, but its got everything else that MLS has been looking for sans ownership. They may have actually dodged a bullet because he seemed kind of sketchy since they got awarded expansion

They definitely have a team name, thats for sure.

Probably after NYCFC entered the league. Look whats happening there.

You either need to have a stadium ready to be built or need to either own or control NFL stadium.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bad PR with the expansion Charlotte team too. They are asking for PSLs and their season tickets are insanely expensive for MLS.

also bad - FC Cincinnati’s kit release video. Did the whole local angle and first responder angle which is great but also highlighted a bunch of horrific looking Ohio food that I wouldn’t feed my dog.
If you're gonna hate on Skyline GTFO:
20201220_121439.jpg

(If you're shitting on Gold Star we're cool)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think MLS prefers to have it more spread out. There are only two cities with two teams, and NYRB aren't really NY, it's NJ with a NY title. Los Angeles is the other, and giving San Diego a team would make it three in Southern California.

You could argue for another team in Dallas or Houston, but they went with an Austin team because it's still a pretty big city and the capital of Texas, like Sacramento is for California.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad