MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wicky was awful with the US17’s, but he’s coached well before at the club level in Switzerland.
I’m more interested in how Miami does. I think they go for one big name after hiring their manager. Torres is a fantastic addition and Agudelo is a great back up. I mean Robles in goal and a backline of Sweat-Torres-DeLaGarza-Powell is pretty good. Then you got Ulloa sitting in front of them with Nguyen and maybe another top class mid and a front line with Pellegrini, Carranza and a solid winger. It’s not going to be great but before the January window even opens, this isn’t bad.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Boring as ****. Wasted potential if these are real. Whatever happened to creativity in this league? Everything has just become so generic now.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Now official. Galaxy are starting to look scary but we will have to see if they sign a striker or are counting on Pavon.
they also signed alex katai who played for chicago last season and are linked to carlos zambrano

pretty good offseason so far for LAG but i think they need to sign a striker to play with pavon. they're not going to replace zlatan's production but a decent striker playing alongside pavon would really help

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
they also signed alex katai who played for chicago last season and are linked to carlos zambrano

pretty good offseason so far for LAG but i think they need to sign a striker to play with pavon. they're not going to replace zlatan's production but a decent striker playing alongside pavon would really help
Katai is good but no more than a depth piece. I normally don’t like to speculate much with links unless they are very reliable and almost done. Soccer (and especially MLS) there’s so many players that they could be entirely wrong on the links.

I agree though. They need a striker bad.

Unrelated but Yimmi Chara signs with Portland on a DP deal.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Yeah I'm really happy with the signings so far and I'm glad they're heavily addressing the defense. Insua is 10x the player Skjelvik is. I like the Katai signing as well, but I'm thinking that it could mean the end of Alessandrini's time here. And I do agree with you about the striker. You can't replace Zlatan, but other than Pavon, where are the goals coming from? Antuna is gone and Pavon is really more of a playmaker rather than a goal scorer. I'm sure GBS is scouting for some Argentine somewhere though

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The main candidate for the NYCFC job is Norwegian manager Ronny Deila, probably best known for managing Celtic a few years back but he has been successful in Norway

Van Brocnkhorst apparently turned down the job and has gone to China. The rumor is he wanted some guarantees before taking the NYCFC job which included him being the successor to Guardiola

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
seeing a lot of stuff about chicharito going to LAG

nothing official yet though. that'd be a pretty big pickup for them on and off the field

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
seeing a lot of stuff about chicharito going to LAG

nothing official yet though. that'd be a pretty big pickup for them on and off the field

No one can replace Zlatan and his production, but Chicarito would be a great pickup. I'm personally not a fan of him as a player and certainly not a fan of him with El Tri, but he finds ways to score goals.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Both Dillon Serna and Shane O’Neill are training with the Sounders for preseason. I would expect Serna to be back up RB and winger depth and O’Neill to be the third choice CB. Another interesting thing to note is that Kim Kee Hee is not on the preseason roster so don’t expect him to come back. That means that Seattle will need at least one more CB before the season starts.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Galaxy focusing more and more on Mexican players to tone down the growth of the LAFC fan bse?
not in this case. chicharito was simply the best available option and i highly doubt LAG cares about the lafc fanbase that'll mostly disappear once they start losing. it's all about the hype with them

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
not in this case. chicharito was simply the best available option and i highly doubt LAG cares about the lafc fanbase that'll mostly disappear once they start losing. it's all about the hype with them

I don't think so. I live in downtown LA and you don't see people sporting Galaxy jerseys here during the MLS season. Mostly LAFC, unless there's an El Traffico match on that day at the LAFC stadium just a few blocks away. Their fan base is here to stay and it will just keep growing, win or lose.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't think so. I live in downtown LA and you don't see people sporting Galaxy jerseys here during the MLS season. Mostly LAFC, unless there's an El Traffico match on that day at the LAFC stadium just a few blocks away. Their fan base is here to stay and it will just keep growing, win or lose.
that's just the vibe i get from the majority of their fanbase. most of them just started following soccer/mls/both when lafc began

LAG has been around for years and has won titles. but then here comes this flashy new team playing close to downtown with a cool logo and colors and all of a sudden these people who never followed soccer before are lafc "fans."

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Isnt that a large portion of potential MLS fans? Thus a group that should be targeted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad