MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
that's just the vibe i get from the majority of their fanbase. most of them just started following soccer/mls/both when lafc began

LAG has been around for years and has won titles. but then here comes this flashy new team playing close to downtown with a cool logo and colors and all of a sudden these people who never followed soccer before are lafc "fans."
That’s how all fans start though. Also I don’t see LAFC losing anytime soon so people will start to sort of fall for the team and thus remain fans if a bad time comes.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
that's just the vibe i get from the majority of their fanbase. most of them just started following soccer/mls/both when lafc began

LAG has been around for years and has won titles. but then here comes this flashy new team playing close to downtown with a cool logo and colors and all of a sudden these people who never followed soccer before are lafc "fans."
I'm all for bashing arrogant LAFC fans but I thought the usual insult we throw at them was they're just Chivas USA 2.0 fans? You know, the failed MLS franchise that started in the early to mid 2000s. So i guess by that logic, LAFC fans have been around.

And how sure are you that LAFC fans are "new" to the game? I'm pretty sure a good number of LAG fans only started following the league in 2007 when Beckham signed.

I hate LAFC fans but I'll be the last Galaxy fan to say we're superior to LAFC fans. And I hate defending these f***ers.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm all for bashing arrogant LAFC fans but I thought the usual insult we throw at them was they're just Chivas USA 2.0 fans? You know, the failed MLS franchise that started in the early to mid 2000s. So i guess by that logic, LAFC fans have been around.

And how sure are you that LAFC fans are "new" to the game? I'm pretty sure a good number of LAG fans only started following the league in 2007 when Beckham signed.

I hate LAFC fans but I'll be the last Galaxy fan to say we're superior to LAFC fans. And I hate defending these ****ers.
the chivas 2.0 thing is dumb, just like the whole "carson galaxy" thing

every lafc fan i know just started following soccer/mls/both when the team began play. same goes for a lot of their fans i've seen on sites like r/mls. makes me wonder why LAG weren't able to attract these people even with all their success and having players like beckham/donovan/keane/zlatan/etc

i don't think any fanbase is "superior" to another but i will say the lafc fans are one insufferable bunch

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think the Galaxy, now and forever, when signing top tier players will always have an eye on the on field product and another on the off field impact. The Galaxy primarily sign players because of their quality, but having off the field impact is a big deal to them as well. Beckham, Keane, Dos Santos brothers, Zlatan and now Chicharito are all quality and all unique individuals off the pitch. I think signing Zlatan was essential in LAFC's first season because that team was one of the worst teams in the league the year prior and were going to bad again if Zlatan didn't come in and turned the entire league attention on himself instead of LAFC so I think that's the only instance so far where they a response signing to LAFC. Chicharito is a player I think they've wanted for a while long before LAFC was even a possibility.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think the Galaxy, now and forever, when signing top tier players will always have an eye on the on field product and another on the off field impact. The Galaxy primarily sign players because of their quality, but having off the field impact is a big deal to them as well. Beckham, Keane, Dos Santos brothers, Zlatan and now Chicharito are all quality and all unique individuals off the pitch. I think signing Zlatan was essential in LAFC's first season because that team was one of the worst teams in the league the year prior and were going to bad again if Zlatan didn't come in and turned the entire league attention on himself instead of LAFC so I think that's the only instance so far where they a response signing to LAFC. Chicharito is a player I think they've wanted for a while long before LAFC was even a possibility.
yeah if it wasn't for zlatan LAG would've been in the cellar the last few seasons and winless against lafc

he was the lone bright spot the last few years and really got the rivalry with lafc going with his antics. so much fun to watch

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
At this point I'm so ready for the season to start going again. Ending with the finals loss last year out me off MLS for a bit, but now I just want TFC to announce their new DP and then go see a game live.

I miss live footie so much!

Reactions: Basement Cat

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pablo Piatti in Toronto for his medical! Could be our new DP!
I don’t think he’d be a DP. Then again I was wrong about Joao Paulo for Seattle. Joao Paulo actually had a really good game yesterday against Sac Republic. Just spraying passes and doing all the little things. I think Seattle repeats this year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don’t think he’d be a DP. Then again I was wrong about Joao Paulo for Seattle. Joao Paulo actually had a really good game yesterday against Sac Republic. Just spraying passes and doing all the little things. I think Seattle repeats this year.
I have read some reports in this area that he will be a DP. I'm totally fine if he isn't.

Funny you say that, I think it will be TFC over Seattle in the finals this time around. Repeat of 16-17.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have read some reports in this area that he will be a DP. I'm totally fine if he isn't.

Funny you say that, I think it will be TFC over Seattle in the finals this time around. Repeat of 16-17.
I dunno. The Sounders added two huge pieces already in Yeimar and Joao Paulo and really only lost Brad Smith (which will allow Nouhou to come in who is fun). Yeimar is the perfect partner for Arreaga, who I think can have a best in MLS season. It really depends on Roldan’s transition to wing.

Reactions: robertmac43

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Couple of interesting news around the league:

Walker Zimmerman shockingly traded to Nashville for over a million in allocation money. In a sense that's probably an offer that LAFC couldn't refuse, but man I don't know about this move.

Impact release Nacho Piatti. Probably the most underrated player in the league because he played in Montreal. Doubt they'll have a good time finding a guy to replace him.

Nashville SC is getting into fight with their mayor over the stadium

Inter Miami getting in a fight with Inter Milan over the trademark of Inter

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Last night was the most CONCACAF match I’ve ever seen. One team just shithousing and should have had at least 3 players sent off then the player that had the clearest red card by just ninja kicking Frei came back and scored two goals.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Indifferent start to CCL by MLS teams. Surprisingly LAFC the only MLS team who lost, not that I'm complaining.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Indifferent start to CCL by MLS teams. Surprisingly LAFC the only MLS team who lost, not that I'm complaining.
I mean pretty much (I think all) every MLS team played away and it was their first competitive game this season while the other teams are in mid season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I mean pretty much (I think all) every MLS team played away and it was their first competitive game this season while the other teams are in mid season.

You guys will beat Olimpia at home. They lost to Forge last year in Hamilton in our home fixture. If we can beat them, you should have no problem...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You guys will beat Olimpia at home. They lost to Forge last year in Hamilton in our home fixture. If we can beat them, you should have no problem...
Oh yeah I don’t think it’ll be a problem at all but we should have won 4-0 with a little better finishing from Morris/Ruidiaz and a right red card.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad