OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Firing the GM while negotiating a deal to sell the team is perhaps not a great idea.

I think new ownership would fire him anyhow so it’s probably not really a major issue for them. I personally feel even Rojas isn’t safe

Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Firing the GM while negotiating a deal to sell the team is perhaps not a great idea.
Yeah I would think at this point you would kind of maybe just want to remain the status quo through the end of the year, and then let new owners come in and do whatever they want. Maybe do something like extend Conforto because that's added value to the team--there are minimal payroll commitments moving forward. Otherwise, just tell BVW he can only make minor moves and then play it out.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

why? The P@L has already been shared along with the mountain of debt which has been refinanced multiple times. This is a business opportunity in hopes of maximizing the investment.

Big picture, the investor knows they will replace all the players and staff over time yet the investor needs the team first. What’s on the field today doesn’t really matter. Not to mention, a GM.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Every time I’m like eh I think people are making too big a deal of this Mets story, I end up with egg on my face. Lol. It never fails.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Eh. I don't know. Any competent owner/would-be buyer would fire Brodie the minute he or she takes control. I don't think BVW changes the value of the team or the asking price for the team either way.

Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just don't see the value in firing him, naming an interim GM, and then firing that interim GM after the sale. For the sake of the guys that are still here and still playing hard every day, I think you just leave everything as-is until the season is done. No need to blow it all up now. Let the guys play, the coaches coach, and tell BVW he's not allowed to do anything substantial.

Then when the season is over and the sale is complete, do whatever.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I just don't see the value in firing him, naming an interim GM, and then firing that interim GM after the sale. For the sake of the guys that are still here and still playing hard every day, I think you just leave everything as-is until the season is done. No need to blow it all up now. Let the guys play, the coaches coach, and tell BVW he's not allowed to do anything substantial.

Fair enough. But I don't see the value of firing Brodie now whether the team is for sale or not.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

the value is that brodie can't do anything stupid at the trade deadline trying to save his job

Reactions: jas

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fair enough. But I don't see the value of firing Brodie now whether the team is for sale or not.
To be clear, I don't either. I'd rather they just ride it out.
the value is that brodie can't do anything stupid at the trade deadline trying to save his job
Yeah I understand that fear, but the reality is the Wilpons are meddlers and would jump in if they didn't like what he was about to do. And if they themselves supported something stupid, then they'd find someone to get it done if Brodie wouldn't. Like the Cano deal, I absolutely believe the Wilpons both supported and encouraged that deal, and if they didn't like it, it wouldn't have happened. I mean you had Jeff out there saying they did it to block the Phillies from getting Diaz. Well that's cool, but the move was a lot more bullshit than that. It has Wilpon-stank all over it.

Just saying--stupid moves will be made as long as the Wilpons are around and using their front office like puppets. Doesn't matter if it's BVW or an interim guy, they call the shots and will ultimately determine whether the team makes stupid additions or does nothing. IMO.

Reactions: egelband

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
That game 1 Yankees lineup is something you send to Fort Myers to play Boston in the spring.

If this is going to be Judge for his career, then lets keep him around for his Arbitration years, then move on. We can't have him miss 50-60 games every season on a 10-year mega deal.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I just don't see the value in firing him, naming an interim GM, and then firing that interim GM after the sale.

When has lack of value stopped the Wilpons from doing something dumb.

Reactions: nyr2k2

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Hopefully they’re leaving cameras on everywhere. They can get Manafred fired and destroy the Wilpons in the process. Everyone will love the Mets. La resistancé

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hopefully they’re leaving cameras on everywhere. They can get Manafred fired and destroy the Wilpons in the process. Everyone will love the Mets. La resistancé
I'm just wondering where the 'lol Mets' part happens in this scenario that will inevitably happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad