OT: MLB Thread XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Cole maintains his current level for another 4 years, he's the type of player for whom you go contract crazy.

He's a keystone player in the sense that you can see where everyone else on that pitching staff falls in line around him. Your number 2 and 3 guys can be number 2 and 3 guys. A fringe starter becomes a long relief guy who eats innings.

You now have balance to what is already a potent offense. You have a guy who is AL tested and has played deep into the playoffs.

If you're going to assume the risk of an insane investment in a pitcher, this is the guy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Cole maintains his current level for another 4 years, he's the type of player for whom you go contract crazy.

He's a keystone player in the sense that you can see where everyone else on that pitching staff falls in line around him. Your number 2 and 3 guys can be number 2 and 3 guys. A fringe starter becomes a long relief guy who eats innings.

You now have balance to what is already a potent offense. You have a guy who is AL tested and has played deep into the playoffs.

If you're going to assume the risk of an insane investment in a pitcher, this is the guy.

This is Panarin but for the Yanks

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Have to wait to see how the money break downs in this contract, but I did see a player opt out after the 5th year.

Usually those opt outs annoy fans, but that'd be the ideal scenario for the Yankees.

Win a couple WS, have him pitch absolutely lights out through 5 years, then opt out. You would have gotten the best of him, and then he gets a 2nd deal somewhere else and lose that major risk.

but again, all depends on the money breakdown. Hard to see how a 34 year would get a better 4 year deal than the remainder of his contract.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

This is Panarin but for the Yanks
I would go even further and say it's more like adding Panarin to the Bruins's corps of left wings.
This is like adding Panarin to the Avalanche.
The Jacob Trouba of the Yankees. :)

Reactions: Edge

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I believe the hope is that they can get Scherzer production from Cole.

If you look at list of players with 300ks in a season, they are all HOFers that performed just as well with age. Exception being Mike Scott who was a late bloomer and had his 300k season at age 31.

If Scherzer had an opt-out in his contract with the Nats after 5 yrs, he would've been a FA this year. He would've gotten a bigger contract as well.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Also I don't think people remember the outrage over the contract the Nats gave Scherzer.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/12334819/mlb-best-worst-active-offseason

35 MLB Executives:

SCHERZER (7 years, $210 million, with $105 million deferred through 2028) -- As we'd agreed upon earlier, Max Scherzer is a great pitcher. No dispute there. But this contract has fired up the industry like no deal (non-A-Rod division) since possibly the Kevin Brown contract. One of the execs quoted earlier called this one "a Bobby Bonilla joke waiting to happen." With all due respect to Bonilla, who will be raking in nearly $1.2 million a year from the Mets until he's 72 years old, Scherzer still has him beat. He'll get $15 million a year -- seriously, $15 million -- through the year 2028. "And no matter how you look at how that devalues the present-day value of the deal," the same exec said, "that's just amazing. Even if he's great for four years and then declines, that's 10 more years you're still paying him $15 million. That's incredible." It's hard to disagree.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Severino, when healthy, is a bona fide #1. Is he fully healthy? And can he keep his stuff through the season? We’ll have to wait and see.

Yanks now have one of the best rotations in baseball. Along with one of the best bullpens. And one of the best lineups. Yanks are absolutely stacked all around.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I believe the hope is that they can get Scherzer production from Cole.

If you look at list of players with 300ks in a season, they are all HOFers that performed just as well with age. Exception being Mike Scott who was a late bloomer and had his 300k season at age 31.

If Scherzer had an opt-out in his contract with the Nats after 5 yrs, he would've been a FA this year. He would've gotten a bigger contract as well.

Sherzer is a pretty good comparison... both had a pretty identical career ERA and of the same age when they got their deals. Cole has incredible stuff and barring injury should stay effective for a minimum of 5 years. I am a tiny bit worried about the Houston factor, but he was good before he went there. One ring to me would justify the contract... although you aim for a bit more.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sherzer is a pretty good comparison... both had a pretty identical career ERA and of the same age when they got their deals. Cole has incredible stuff and barring injury should stay effective for a minimum of 5 years. I am a tiny bit worried about the Houston factor, but he was good before he went there. One ring to me would justify the contract... although you aim for a bit more.
Fair, but Charlie Morton got better after he left the Trashstros.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Please Diamondbacks. Save us from ourselves.

I had SNY on last night during the Rangers intermission. Duquette and Martino were discussing trading for Marte.

They settled on Dom Smith + Nimmo for Marte.

I was ready to go to bed before that, but it made me crack another beer and just mumble curses at the tv throughout the whole segment.

Reactions: Bob Richards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad