OT: MLB Thread XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I had SNY on last night during the Rangers intermission. Duquette and Martino were discussing trading for Marte.

They settled on Dom Smith + Nimmo for Marte.

I was ready to go to bed before that, but it made me crack another beer and just mumble curses at the tv throughout the whole segment.
If they move those guys, it should really be for a Lindor or Betts.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Severino, when healthy, is a bona fide #1. Is he fully healthy? And can he keep his stuff through the season? We’ll have to wait and see.

Yanks now have one of the best rotations in baseball. Along with one of the best bullpens. And one of the best lineups. Yanks are absolutely stacked all around.

And the beauty of this scenario is that Severino, or anyone else other than Cole, in theory doesn't have to be that bona fide #1 for a while. He can be a 1B.

Cole's potential/hopeful impact is not unlike David Cone in the mid-90s, Clemens in the late 90s, or even Mussina in the early 2000s and Sabathia in 2009 --- it's having a guy who can step in and be the ace. Not maybe the ace. Not likely the ace. But the ace.

That's the expectation.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Have to wait to see how the money break downs in this contract, but I did see a player opt out after the 5th year.

Usually those opt outs annoy fans, but that'd be the ideal scenario for the Yankees.

Win a couple WS, have him pitch absolutely lights out through 5 years, then opt out. You would have gotten the best of him, and then he gets a 2nd deal somewhere else and lose that major risk.

but again, all depends on the money breakdown. Hard to see how a 34 year would get a better 4 year deal than the remainder of his contract.

The problem is if he’s pitching well enough to opt out, then the Yanks will pull another A-Rod / CC and won’t let him walk. They’ll most likely give him more $$$.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I excluded him on purpose. He's gone in my mind.

I doubt it. Yankees brought in Chapman under questionable circumstances. I don’t know what he did, but I read it was worse than Familia, but not as bad as Osuna. Personal feelings aside, I don’t see the Yanks scrapping an asset like that unless something horrible comes out.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Just realized that this year is probably Tanaka's last as a Yankee and that makes me sad.

Most likely unless he’s healthy all year and is amenable to go the Kuroda route taking a series of one year deals. I think it’s more likely that they hold onto Paxton - a lefty - if healthy.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I doubt it. Yankees brought in Chapman under questionable circumstances. I don’t know what he did, but I read it was worse than Familia, but not as bad as Osuna. Personal feelings aside, I don’t see the Yanks scrapping an asset like that unless something horrible comes out.
Well the difference between the two as I understand it is that Chapman went into his garage and fired off a couple of rounds with a handgun in anger at his partner, whereas German actually struck his. I frankly loathe both actions and would prefer not to have either on the team, but there is in my mind an order of magnitude difference between the two, and if I’ve got to take one, it’s Chapman. (Also, there’s the whole fresh start/turn over a new leaf aspect which Chapman got by leaving Cindy for NY and which German would only get by leaving NY to somewhere else.)

But you may well be right. Teams/GMs tend to be cold and cynical about such things.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Well the difference between the two as I understand it is that Chapman went into his garage and fired off a couple of rounds with a handgun in anger at his partner, whereas German actually struck his. I frankly loathe both actions and would prefer not to have either on the team, but there is in my mind an order of magnitude difference between the two, and if I’ve got to take one, it’s Chapman. (Also, there’s the whole fresh start/turn over a new leaf aspect which Chapman got by leaving Cindy for NY and which German would only get by leaving NY to somewhere else.)

But you may well be right. Teams/GMs tend to be cold and cynical about such things.

Agreed with this, and I think the climate post-Taubman is different now than it was when Chapman was first acquired. There seems to be a little more sensitivity towards domestic violence, and if the backlash towards the Astros was any indicator, the Yankees may have a PR problem if German did indeed engage in domestic abuse against his GF and they choose to keep him on the team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The problem is if he’s pitching well enough to opt out, then the Yanks will pull another A-Rod / CC and won’t let him walk. They’ll most likely give him more $$$.

The one potential saving grace is that I don't see the Yankees topping the current deal for a 34 year old version of Cole. I'd be more concerned if this was a contract they gave him a couple of years back, had they acquired him from Pittsburgh.

But let's assume he's at his current level for 5 years and the Yankees win a couple of championships. Could they stumble into that path? Perhaps. But I think that would also mean that both the team and Cole were incredibly successful. In which case, I think they'd (somewhat) accept the price for that level of success.

But we have half a decade to get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad