OT: MLB Thread XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't see how the finances make sense. Unless we trade prospects to dump contracts.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Looks like the Yanks may put their best foot forward regarding Cole. If they make a legit offer and he chooses someplace else then c'est la vie.

I don't see how the finances make sense. Unless we trade prospects to dump contracts.

Just from a starting pitching perspective. They'll probably allow Tanaka and Big Maple walk. If they sign Cole then they are going over all the lux tax thresholds this year and their is no way around it.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Looks like the Yanks may put their best foot forward regarding Cole. If they make a legit offer and he chooses someplace else then c'est la vie.

Just from a starting pitching perspective. They'll probably allow Tanaka and Big Maple walk. If they sign Cole then they are going over all the lux tax thresholds this year and their is no way around it.

I don't think they'll let both Big Maple and Tanaka walk, but decent chance one will, sadly.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I don't think they'll let both Big Maple and Tanaka walk, but decent chance one will, sadly.

Me, I wouldn't be surprised if they let both go, all dependent on price of course. ...But, both will be 32, one with still a partially torn UCL and the other with a significant injury history. Paxton is a Boras client on top of it. If they are looking to save money. I think it'll be here. Also will have to wait and see how the German situation plays out and how Devie Garcia develops.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Me, I wouldn't be surprised if they let both go, all dependent on price of course. ...But, both will be 32, one with still a partially torn UCL and the other with a significant injury history. Paxton is a Boras client on top of it. If they are looking to save money. I think it'll be here. Also will have to wait and see how the German situation plays out and how Devie Garcia develops.

Maybe, but I just cannot see them letting both walk. Trying to replace both of them at once wouldn't be very easy (at least at first)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Tanaka had a great run here, but he’s the guy you let walk, no question.

Cole
Severino
Paxton

Giddyap.
You forgot Strasburg :naughty:

But in all seriousness, they could let both walk if they did sign Strasburg as well. You have Deivi Garcia and Clarke Schmidt coming through the pipeline. A couple other real good arms. They have drafted a ton of arms. You just need one to push through if you get Strasburg too because you could find a veteran SP on the cheap to be the 5th starter. They also still have Monty

Cole
Strasburg
Severino
Montgomery
Garcia/Schmidt

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You forgot Strasburg :naughty:

But in all seriousness, they could let both walk if they did sign Strasburg as well. You have Deivi Garcia and Clarke Schmidt coming through the pipeline. A couple other real good arms. They have drafted a ton of arms. You just need one to push through if you get Strasburg too because you could find a veteran SP on the cheap to be the 5th starter. They also still have Monty

Cole
Strasburg
Severino
Montgomery
Garcia/Schmidt
Sign both. Evil Empire should come back.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The thing is they CAN afford it and they can shed salary in the next two years. They can possibly shed Happ’s salary for next season. Tanaka and then Paxton as well. They have young cost effective arms coming through the system to offset the heavy investment in the front end of the Starting Rotation.

Pitching wins championships.

Settle the SP. Then look at bringing Betances back. Maybe Treinen brought in here too. Stack the pitching.

After that see what you do about CF. I would let Frazier and Tauchman battle it out for LF. Maybe you bring back Gardner for CF while Hicks recovers but I think you can find a cheaper option to get the same results offensively/defensively that you would from Gardner while not paying extra for the clubhouse leadership. Maybin also a good candidate for LF.

Look into Lindor. Especially if they pass on Strasburg and can include Kluber in that package for say Andujar + +. But if no Lindor I want Didi back. They almost need him back as a lefty bat. Have him sign a team friendly 1 year deal and let him it free agency again.

Would like to have Romine back.

Lots of options

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Signing both is unrealistic. At this point, I'm happy that there's a very good chance they'll sign one of them hahah. But if they somehow pulled off signing both, then you definitely let Tanaka, Paxton and Happ go at the end of this upcoming season (with Happ possibly even being traded before then).

In the meantime, imagine a rotation of Cole-Stras-Severino-Paxton-Tanaka? My god...

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Had some solid stats for the Mets after getting cut. Hopefully he can build on that and be a nice middle reliever for them. Cheap deal too, with an option for the following season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The thing is they CAN afford it and they can shed salary in the next two years. They can possibly shed Happ’s salary for next season. Tanaka and then Paxton as well. They have young cost effective arms coming through the system to offset the heavy investment in the front end of the Starting Rotation.

Pitching wins championships.

Settle the SP. Then look at bringing Betances back. Maybe Treinen brought in here too. Stack the pitching.

After that see what you do about CF. I would let Frazier and Tauchman battle it out for LF. Maybe you bring back Gardner for CF while Hicks recovers but I think you can find a cheaper option to get the same results offensively/defensively that you would from Gardner while not paying extra for the clubhouse leadership. Maybin also a good candidate for LF.

Look into Lindor. Especially if they pass on Strasburg and can include Kluber in that package for say Andujar + +. But if no Lindor I want Didi back. They almost need him back as a lefty bat. Have him sign a team friendly 1 year deal and let him it free agency again.

Would like to have Romine back.

Lots of options

I'd be very surprised if Didi doesn't get a longer deal elsewhere.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The Wilpon Family Chronicles

Soon after Matsui joined the Mets in 2004 and reported to spring training, he injured his finger. Jeff Wilpon was adamant that Matsui play in televised spring training games to build excitement for the season after a last-place finish a year earlier. Bruce was more protective of Matsui and urged caution.

The disagreement came to a head when Jeff, seeing a promotional opportunity, wanted Matsui on the field. Bruce pushed back. The argument grew heated and ugly, as Jeff dug in. After that, Bruce rarely, if ever, was involved with the team again.

Since the Madoff crisis, and as Fred Wilpon and his siblings and relatives approached their 80th birthdays, the decision for the family to relinquish control of the Mets seemed almost inevitable. Since 2011, the Wilpons have been seeking investors to help carry its financial burdens.

When the Wilpons first invested in the Mets, baseball was a mostly harmless dalliance for wealthy businessmen. Now it is an $10 billion-a-year business, with huge risks. People familiar with the team’s finances said the Mets have lost more than $60 million during each of the past two seasons, as the team struggled to attract fans, and they are at the limit of debt allowed by Major League Baseball rules.

In 2012, with the economy rebounding, the Mets sold 12 minority shares in the team, including one to Cohen, raising $240 million. That enabled them to pay back loans that were overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce