OT: MLB Thread Part VI: First Place City

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

If the Mets had a big time bat in that lineup folks would not be talking about the Nats.
The Yankees are pretenders.

They have a big time bat. He is currently in AA.

They have another big time bat. He is currently in A.

:)

BarbaraAlphanse

You know how many of those have been around and turned out to be duds.
Rosario is years away.
We should see Nimmo in September.

Conforto = AA reference

Smith = A reference

I'm imagine Rosario and Nimmo are more likely to be busts than Conforto and Smith.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Why would it be bad? You trust Mayberry to get a hit, especially against the guy who was pitching. Granderson was up next. I'd rather take my chances with Granderson with a chance to give us the lead with a base hit.

You pay Granderson all this money to be an important piece and you let John Mayberry GDP to end the game.

I didn't watch the game so am unsure of the situation but if the tying run was in scoring position, why would you bunt?

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I forgot about Conforto. I know he was tearing up A ball pretty good and I just found out who Dominick Smith was 30 seconds ago.
Got some catching up to do because I pay almost zero attention to baseball until hockey ends.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Conforto = AA reference

Smith = A reference

I'm imagine Rosario and Nimmo are more likely to be busts than Conforto and Smith.

Nimmo has a way more proven track record than Smith. Smith was real bad (going back to last season) before he suddenly hit a switch 25~ games ago. The scouts last season hated him, we'll be lucky if this recent hot streak is the real Smith.

Ideally, all 4 pan out ;).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yankees could be pretenders, but so are the AL East. Not one team is a threat in that division.

Mets have it tougher with the Nats and Braves, IMO.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
The Yankees system has a pitcher and not much else.
Greg Bird has a swing built for Yankees stadium but would most likely strike out 200 times a year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Conforto = AA reference

Smith = A reference

Conforto's already a major leaguer thats just playing in AA. I'd call him up September.

I really think you are off about Rosario/Smith. Smith's a first baseman with no HR power. The power could come, but if it doesn't, he might not be a major leaguer. Rosario's glove will at least get him a long look as a starting SS in the MLB. If the HR power comes, he's a star. I'd give Nimmo a 55% chance of becoming an average regular, other 45% is a good 4th OF.

BarbaraAlphanse

Conforto's a major leaguer already thats just playing in AA. I'd call him up September.

I really think you are off about Rosario/Smith. Smith's a first baseman with no HR power. The power could come, but if it doesn't, he might not be a major leaguer. Rosario's glove will at least get him a long look as a starting SS in the MLB. If the HR power comes, he's a star.

He has been playing in HORRIBLE league's for left handed power hitters. He's pounding the doubles.

Rosario is already turning heads. But he is raw offensively. If is a big word. But i'm really hoping he becomes our next star player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't watch the game so am unsure of the situation but if the tying run was in scoring position, why would you bunt?

Because John Mayberry. He's atrocious at baseball. I think our odds of changing the score in that inning are better bunting and giving Granderson the chance to get them home than trusting Mayberry to at least move the two runners over by letting him hit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yankees could be pretenders, but so are the AL East. Not one team is a threat in that division.

Mets have it tougher with the Nats and Braves, IMO.

I fully expect you guys to make the playoffs. Tanaka, Pineda, eventually Nova. Your pen. Tex and the fraud at the plate. You guys should make it.

We have it tougher. I don't think the Braves are for real. The Mets and Nationals are about even at 24 of the 25 roster spots. The difference is Harper. That should be enough to win them the division.

BarbaraAlphanse

Really... no one can say who and who isn't a contender in the MLB playoffs. It is the most wide open league of the 4 big pro sports in the states.

Who saw Kansas City vs. the Giants last year?

The Giants with 1 ace, and 2 batters coming up big (Pence and Sandoval), winning it all?

Pitching wins championships. Stud pitchers and 2-3 batters to heat up in the playoffs. Mets could be this, but a lot of luck has to go their way.Not likely but not impossible, either.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I fully expect you guys to make the playoffs. Tanaka, Pineda, eventually Nova. Your pen. Tex and the fraud at the plate. You guys should make it.

We have it tougher. I don't think the Braves are for real. The Mets and Nationals are about even at 24 of the 25 roster spots. The difference is Harper. That should be enough to win them the division.

Nats offense is a lot better than Mets.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Mets fans need to continue to be patient. The process IS working. The help is either here or on it's way.

The time to trade assets for what they are worth has passed and that was poor management. But, these young SP have also all taken a step forward this year. The writing was on the wall last year and Sandy failed to get rid of them then.

The Mets still need bullpen and hitting help. They also desperately need a healthy David Wright equivalent. Duda is the real deal. We aren't far away but another year, this team will be really good. That's without making a move (other than bringing Nimmo, Conforto up)

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
David Wright will never be David Wright again. That condition is degenerative.

It is, but it can be corrected. Was speaking with a PT friend (and fellow Mets fan) of mine the other day who works out with one of the top spinal surgeons in the country. Said he asked him how much surgery could help Wright, and the guy said that it's a relatively simple procedure (as simple as any spinal surgery can be) to widen the canal that's impinging on the nerve. The surgeon said that if he got it now he'd be back by the end of the season and probably wouldn't need anything else done for several years.

So Wright will never be Wright again -- at least not the 05-08 version -- but he can still be an All-Star caliber 3B.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Nats offense is a lot better than Mets.

Yeah and it's not even close. I do think we have (will) have better pitching though, which is saying something after the Nats rotation became the best rotation in MLB history before the season started. With Matz coming up replacing Niese it is going to look really really good.

1. Harvey
2. deGrom
3. Colon
4. Syndergaard
5. Matz

and next year..

1. Harvey
2. deGrom
3. Wheeler
4. Syndergaard
5. Matz

jeez. You can say Matz is a prospect and hasn't done anything in the majors yet which is true but I really believe this guy is something else. The numbers he's putting up in Vegas are unheard of. Harv, Noah, Wheeler, and deGrom didn't put up numbers near him, they were all high 3's in ERA he is under 2. He is MLB ready and I can't wait to watch him pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain