OT: MLB Thread Part VI: First Place City

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You don't seem to understand the concept of a budget. As much as you may not want the Mets to have one they do so your ideal situation does not exist. Combine that with the fact that Cruz is not that great of a hitter and a terrible fit both offensively and defensively it would have been an awful signing.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
You don't seem to understand the concept of a budget. As much as you may not want the Mets to have one they do so your ideal situation does not exist. Combine that with the fact that Cruz is not that great of a hitter and a terrible fit both offensively and defensively it would have been an awful signing.

His point is it should exist. There is no reason a New York franchise should operate this way.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Sure but what's the point of operating in a lternative reality that is unrealistic? Additionally there is a luxury tax at like 3x once you reach some (extremely high) margin. The Yankees do not operate this way. The Dodger's don't operate this way No way is signing a guy to a 4/58 deal (what Cruz got) and then just cast him aside if it doesn't work out. What player that makes like 15M+ is a part time player?

But regardless of all that if the Mets had an infinite budget I still would not want them to sign Nelson Cruz (using that example).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great job Terry Collins. You let Mayberry hit with first and second and one out against a right handed side armer and he GDP to end the game. He could've bunted them over to give Granderson a chance to give us the lead with a base hit.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Wow bunting would have been incredibly bad in that spot. also there was no other option. Flores was unavailable and Plaweckis the backup catcher and wouldn't be used like that.

Like bunting is so bad in that spot it'd be better to stand there with your eyes closed and hope to walk.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Wow bunting would have been incredibly bad in that spot. also there was no other option. Flores was unavailable and Plaweckis the backup catcher and wouldn't be used like that.

Another one of those baseball things that I would never follow.

Oh yeah the last catcher may get hurt in a game that probably won't go past the half inning anyway.

Amazing the things that are just blindly followed with no real reason if you actually think about it.

Agreed on the bunting. No way I bunt there, or ever really. Not never but rare situations.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Oh I mean I don't agree with the logic of not using plawecki for that reason (o wouldn't have used him there though) but you know every manager in the league wouldn't use their catcher then.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yeah no real difference there in Mayberry vs Plawecki. Team just doesn't have the bats. Nobody has bats. I miss when baseball had bats.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wasn't it said in the offeason that the Mets were offered a lefty reliever for Gee?

Nothing good enough for Sandy. Hold hold hold hold hold. Delay delay delay. He is too proud to make a move when he is in a bind. Infield they roll out there is a total joke, espically now with Murph hurt. Is there nothing he can do? Casey McGhee was DFA'd last week and had a pretty good year last season. No player available is good enough for Sandy though. Limitless farm and depth for the Mets, just keep plugging guys in, no need to improve the team by other means. Too proud.

McGehee had a good year last year? News to me.

1.4 WAR - according to fangraphs 1-2 WAR is a role player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Like bunting is so bad in that spot it'd be better to stand there with your eyes closed and hope to walk.

Why would it be bad? You trust Mayberry to get a hit, especially against the guy who was pitching. Granderson was up next. I'd rather take my chances with Granderson with a chance to give us the lead with a base hit.

You pay Granderson all this money to be an important piece and you let John Mayberry GDP to end the game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is this a serious question? Zobrist is a 2 x all star. 5+ WAR in 4 out of last 5 seasons.

How about this? Is he much better than Matt Reynolds? Zobrist is the ultimate utility guy. I believe Reynolds is at least an average utility guy capable of playing at least three infield positions. I'm not trading someone like a Wuilmer Becerra for a few months of a utility guy.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Wright and murphy out hurts. Herrera and darnaud should be back soon but they have to do something

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I know it's easy to blame Sandy now, but the Wilpons are definitely holding him back on something IMO

“There are so many things the Mets could do,’’ the scout said. “It’s just a question of getting a number from ownership, how much they can spend and then work with that number.’’

How much financial freedom general manager Sandy Alderson has, if any, remains to be seen.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I can't see how folks get on Sandy when the Wilpons installed a hard cap on player salary.
The Wilpons don't care about winning. The Mets are nothing but a business asset to be used.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone else not like Granderson hitting 1st? I can't stand it.

Lagares, Granderson, Flores, Duda, Cuddyer, all the AAAA players, should be the lineup.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
If the Mets had a big time bat in that lineup folks would not be talking about the Nats.
The Yankees are pretenders.

If the Mets had David Wright and Travis D'Arnaud in the lineup they'd be at least 4 up on the Nats right now. Plawecki is clearly not ready for the majors (thought hasn't been a negative player, so it's fine) and the guys they've been trotting out at 3B are beyond subpar.

D'Arnaud coming back alone is gonna be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad