MLB The Show 19

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Must... resist... getting... this... game...

Seriously though, I didn't play 18 all that much, and I hardly play Diamond Dynasty.
vei26.jpg

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Im going Rickey as well, He can be an end game bench player for most teams. I would have taken Chipper, but feel he will become replaceable very early given the amount of solid 3Bs

Sep 19, 2008
I got a lot of stuff to do Monday and Tuesday so I won't really be able to play this game much. Will probably end up buying it though

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Soooooo a bit of a rough launch night(like pretty much every year). Diamond Dynasty is unplayable as of about 1:30 AM central. That's pretty disappointing, but I was able to open all of my packs and actually completed the beginning Moments package. That was fun. Out of my 50 packs I pulled Wilson Ramos, Justin Verlander(only diamond), Luis Severino, Zach Greinke, David Price, and Matt Chapman. I decided to sell Verlander and get a couple of gold SPs to replace him. I bought the head start pack(or whatever it's called where you get to choose several gold and silver players for 15K) and got a lot of quality golds out of that. Then I bought all 3 of the 7.5K papcks that you're allowed to buy and got Luis Severino again, Ozzie Albies, and Justin Verlander again. I sold Verlander again. Didn't touch the market really, but I have about 23K stubs and a full lineup and rotation of gold or better players. I chose Steve Finley as my diamond choice pack. His card looks awesome.

I can tell Moments is going to be a huge step up from when NHL tried a similar thing. One thing they got right is that most of the descriptions I've read are actually MOMENTS, not "play a full game and if you fail play another full game". There are some I noticed like having to get 11 hits and some other stats with Andruw Jones in 6 games, but you literally only play his AB's in those games, so 6 games is like 10-15 minutes. They also allow you to restart from the fail screen. I was so happy when I saw that. I thought for sure I would have to sit through the loading screen, go back to the lobby, select the moment again, and then try again, but I didn't. It took me like 10 tries to hit the homer with Bautista to do the bat flip, but it took me a maximum of 10 minutes for all of those attempts combined.

None of the moments that I've read seem impossible either, which is nice. I remember last year someone said there was a mission in DD to have 3HRs and 2 walks with a player in a game. That's just stupid. Looking through the moments I didn't see anything like that.

Hopefully they have the Diamond Dynasty working when I get home from work today as I'd like to get started on Conquest, but if not I can play through most of the moments without it and still have quite a bit of fun.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Im pumped! A lil bug keeps re-occuring tho in rtts. The players bat isnt where it should be at times. In certain situations the bat is like 3 inches away from his hands when he should have a grip on it. Hella awkward lookin.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Im pumped! A lil bug keeps re-occuring tho in rtts. The players bat isnt where it should be at times. In certain situations the bat is like 3 inches away from his hands when he should have a grip on it. Hella awkward lookin.
Seems that there are lots of little bugs at launch this year. Usually it's just the servers struggling with the huge influx of users, but we've had that and some bugs(game breaking ones in Diamond Dynasty's case) thrown in. I'd expect them to be patched pretty quickly though. SDS is usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Wait a second...theres lots of newer prospects in this game but theres no Vlad jr/Eloy Jimenez/etc?? Le sigh. I guess i have to look for a user's roster to upload.

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
what did they do to fielding this year? Its terrible imo. for example if im throwing to first and i tap circle its a an overthrow or throws wide if i hold down circle same thing. Its not my controller as this **** never happened in '17 or '18 since i've had a ps4.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't think they're allowed to put players into the game that haven't made their MLB debut.

Yea that's what I've discovered after doing some research. There's one or two rosters with specs in the vault. I tried one that seems alright. Was the same user that uploaded for last season's game.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Hitting against the CPU seems really difficult this year. Nothing seems to carry. There are so many missions that require hitting a HR and even with guys with good power this is really difficult. Online the hitting seems fine, but against the CPU it seems off. I wonder if this is intentional to get more people to play online.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’m not sure if I’m utterly blind, but I cannot for the life of me see how to offer a player a contract extension mid season.

Hitting against the CPU seems really difficult this year. Nothing seems to carry. There are so many missions that require hitting a HR and even with guys with good power this is really difficult. Online the hitting seems fine, but against the CPU it seems off. I wonder if this is intentional to get more people to play online.

It even seems to happen with simming. I built a team of home run hitters in a fantasy draft in 18 that had 7 30+ home run guys, and 2 more 20 home run guys (NL so I had a 20 home run guy off the bench). Stanton was a lock for 50, and Zunino a lock for 40 (he progressed massively) each of the 3 seasons. In 19, suddenly Stanton barely hit 30, and Zunino barely hit 20.

When playing games, I was hitting like 5+ home runs a game with that team, and I can barely hit 2 a game in 19.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I have been working my way through the new March to October mode, or as I have now started calling it; The Bud Norris Simulator. Currently in the world Series and about 70% of the time I was using Bud Norris as my pitcher.

I am liking the changes so far, a lot more emphasis on the contact guys like Rickey. The games I have played online so far have been actually exciting and not just the 2-1 game where all the runs came off solo homeruns like in 18.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I spent some stubs and created an outfield of Cliff Floyd, Steve Finley(preorder choice), and Ted Williams. I also have Khris Davis on the bench with like 97 power against RHP, and Trevor Story at short with a ton of power against LHP. I played about 15 conquest games yesterday on rookie and veteran and I hit 1 home run, a pinch hit homer by Davis. Every time I square one up I hit a bullet right at an outfielder. I'm hitting like .750 with Allen Trammel though, which makes me think contact is almost too important now. Like they went too far with it. I'm going to be selling some power guys and getting contact/speedy ones as replacements to see if I have better luck. Power just isn't there for me this year.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I spent some stubs and created an outfield of Cliff Floyd, Steve Finley(preorder choice), and Ted Williams. I also have Khris Davis on the bench with like 97 power against RHP, and Trevor Story at short with a ton of power against LHP. I played about 15 conquest games yesterday on rookie and veteran and I hit 1 home run, a pinch hit homer by Davis. Every time I square one up I hit a bullet right at an outfielder. I'm hitting like .750 with Allen Trammel though, which makes me think contact is almost too important now. Like they went too far with it. I'm going to be selling some power guys and getting contact/speedy ones as replacements to see if I have better luck. Power just isn't there for me this year.

Maybe it can be increased a little bit, but I am enjoying the small ball aspect of the game.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I have a playstation cc that gives sony rewards and with those rewards I got PSN market cards. Bought some stubs with that and now my team is as follows.

2nd: Dee Gordon
CF: Mookie Betts
LF: Steve Finley (special edition choice)
C: Joe Torre
RF: Charlie Blackmon (returning bonus award)
SS: CAP
1b: Cody Bellinger
3rd: Josh Donaldson

So far my mvp has been Dee Gordon by far. gets on base all the time and scores a bunch of runs. Looking forward to getting an Ichiro card and start building a team of contact and speed.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
LF: Rickey Henderson
SS: Corey Seager
2B: Robinson Cano
1B: Edwin Encarnasion
3B: Eduardo Escobar
C: Wilson Contreras
CF: Starling Marte
RF: Charlie Blackmon

A mix of power and speed. Right now I would say my top 3 preforming players off the top of my head have been 1. Edwin Encarnasion, 2. Eduardo Escobar 3. Rickey Henderson.

The one I have been most disappointed with was Wilson Contreras, which is surprising because he was pretty good for me last year. I might replace him with a CAP.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
LF: Rickey Henderson
SS: Corey Seager
2B: Robinson Cano
1B: Edwin Encarnasion
3B: Eduardo Escobar
C: Wilson Contreras
CF: Starling Marte
RF: Charlie Blackmon

A mix of power and speed. Right now I would say my top 3 preforming players off the top of my head have been 1. Edwin Encarnasion, 2. Eduardo Escobar 3. Rickey Henderson.

The one I have been most disappointed with was Wilson Contreras, which is surprising because he was pretty good for me last year. I might replace him with a CAP.
How is Seager this year? Last year he was pretty disappointing for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad