MLB off-season news & notes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The Mets announced that general manager Sandy Alderson has been diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Alderson will undergo eight to 12 weeks of chemotherapy and miss the upcoming Winter Meetings, according to the club. ESPN New York’s Adam Rubintweets*that he will continue his duties as GM of the team, however.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

so basically nats vs orioles imo

i would be very surprised if he chooses atlanta but it is possible

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
The Mets announced that general manager Sandy Alderson has been diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Alderson will undergo eight to 12 weeks of chemotherapy and miss the upcoming Winter Meetings, according to the club. ESPN New York’s Adam Rubintweets*that he will continue his duties as GM of the team, however.

Uh, terrible news. Hope he gets well soon and has a full recovery. I was worried when he collapsed last month.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
DBacks are much closer to the playoffs than people think. This is important offseason for them.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
I wonder if any MLB clubs are going to put in a bid on Korean 3B Hwang Jae-gyun.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Getting back to Atkins, I'm growing impatient with some of the voices on Toronto's sports radio shows, whining over how these offseason moves have "ruined" the Jays, or that they're somehow worse now that two of the main architects from the Cleveland Indians are running the show. Like, "oh, what have they accomplished there, what could they possibly do to improve our awesome team? this is terrible news"

Ok, look.

Before this year, Toronto had 22 consecutive seasons of mediocrity. 22 years of craptastic baseball that left them the laughingstock of Toronto sports for many years. Anthopoulos, before him Ricciardi, before him Gord Ash, all with zero playoff games with the Jays until 2015.

They have one good season (or, half-season, really, being a .500 team for the first 100 games), make a strong go of it in the playoffs, lose an ace starting pitcher after some issues with mismanagement and a desire to look elsewhere, and now all of a sudden the sky is falling?

I have no problem whatsoever with what Mark Shapiro is doing, or with the new guy he's tabbed as GM of the team. I'm optimistic, actually, for the first time in a loooooong time. I've already accepted the fact that tickets will cost more.....that's just Rogers taking advantage of what is finally an enticing product, and I don't blame them for it.

But for some radio shock jocks to just bash the Indians as a wasteland that has somehow tainted their beloved Blue Jays, whom they crapped on for years prior to this one? It's getting tiresome. Give 'em a chance and see how they can build off of that one successful season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad