MLB off-season news & notes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The Pirates are so rattled by their WC game loss to the Cubs that they should honestly just give up. Maybe become a AAA team or something. Or trade Cutch, Cole, and Kang to the Cardinals for Randy Choate so someone can stop the juggernaut Cubs, but even that still probably won't work.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Check his defensive statistics and listen to Pirate scouts. 16 errors in very little time at first in the minors. As horrible as Alvarez is defensively, Bell, is worse. can he work on it? Sure he can. But Bell is at least an ASG call up at best and even then, the Bucs are getting less production to go along with the spotty defense. Alvarez is what he is, and his offense last year for a part timer was beastly. Sure, hes gonna make a great DH somewhere, glad hes out the C.

As for the Cubs knocking the Pirates into reality, dont think this move doesnt signify a change in direction. The Cubs are only going to get better and the Cards are still the class of the NL. As drastic as letting 25 hrs and 80 rbis just walk, you have to think, with as many times the Pirates have failed recently in the one game playoff, that instead of a huge run producer, which Alvarez was, they are placing defense as a premium. Which would be a good step in the right direction. Small ball and obp worked for the Royals.

I dont recall any Cub fan worrying about the Bucs in the one and done with Arrieta on the mound. Considering the Pirates have been so good for so much longer that isnt right.

How is the billy goat doing?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I dont recall any Cub fan worrying about the Bucs in the one and done with Arrieta on the mound. Considering the Pirates have been so good for so much longer that isnt right.

Probably weren't worried against the Mets either.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Fernandez never struck me as overly gritty. Change of philosophy in Arizona?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Even if we don't get Grienke, id be ok with Leake and Samardzija to go behind MadBum, and hopefully Cain can regain his former all-star form.

Gut feeling Lackey signs with them too, regardless of the other out comes (but signing Grienke would probably convince him).

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Is this guy for real?

First off, this isnt about Alvarez. Alvarez does not play for the Pirates any more and his defensive short comings are irrelevant. This is about Josh Bell. The same Josh Bell I had seen last year three times in Indy who was worse defensively the last time and more aloof as the game went on. Who has a habit of running to the pitchers mound every time the ball was hit into the outfield and was out of position countless times to the point he was taken out early the last game I witnessedfirst hand.

Oh, hes bad. Hes brutally bad in the field. Atm, he is a down grade from Alzarez considering Alvarez was a run producer, something Bell, who hasnt shown, now at 23, he has the power capabilities expected for a position where defense isn't expected yet gap, 30 double power and just the same defensively as the guy they let go is a good thing?

Sadly, it isnt. Bell, a great kid, is a work in progress....as a first baseman. But as a first baseman hes a heck of a corner outfielder with limited pop. I never claimed to be or know everything about the Pirates,but,I do know Josh Bell. That,is the disconnect. And while I am sure you know plenty, I will stay within the realm of knowledgable prospecters and mlb scouts who actually have an unbias eye towards players. Its a safer method for honest opinion.

And yes. Sadly the world doesnt revolve around Chicago.

Only the NHL does.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Normally I wouldn't do young starter for rp, but i'm enamored with Giles and his controlled contract makes him more appealing. Though I understand why you and others wouldn't do it.

Houston got enough of them, and Lunhow has a hard-on for the bullpen. Especially after the teams success, and recent WS champs having strong closers/bullpens.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Check his defensive statistics and listen to Pirate scouts. 16 errors in very little time at first in the minors. As horrible as Alvarez is defensively, Bell, is worse. can he work on it? Sure he can. But Bell is at least an ASG call up at best and even then, the Bucs are getting less production to go along with the spotty defense. Alvarez is what he is, and his offense last year for a part timer was beastly. Sure, hes gonna make a great DH somewhere, glad hes out the C.

As for the Cubs knocking the Pirates into reality, dont think this move doesnt signify a change in direction. The Cubs are only going to get better and the Cards are still the class of the NL. As drastic as letting 25 hrs and 80 rbis just walk, you have to think, with as many times the Pirates have failed recently in the one game playoff, that instead of a huge run producer, which Alvarez was, they are placing defense as a premium. Which would be a good step in the right direction. Small ball and obp worked for the Royals.

No offence man but as a Cubs fan you really can't talk smack. Sure you just won 97 games and beat the Buccos, but they've won five world series titles since the Cubs last won.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
No offence man but as a Cubs fan you really can't talk smack. Sure you just won 97 games and beat the Buccos, but they've won five world series titles since the Cubs last won.

Its irrelevant to next year.

As for talking "smack" I have been offering my opinion. I let others bask in immaturity as they see fit and refuse the desire to "go there" if somebodies opinion differs from mine. Mines is a confident, secure state of mind of which others should strive to be.

There is nothing wrong with confidence, remember that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What do the Marlins add to Fernandez for Goldy?

Gordon-Prado-Stanton-Yelich-Ozuna are pretty nice to build a team around. But of course they'd probably have to give one of the younger bats in a deal for Goldy.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What do the Marlins add to Fernandez for Goldy?

Gordon-Prado-Stanton-Yelich-Ozuna are pretty nice to build a team around. But of course they'd probably have to give one of the younger bats in a deal for Goldy.

dont hate me for this but that seems like a 1 for 1 trade

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Little background info.

Kim has been one of the KBO's most consistent hitters over the past decade. Nicknamed the "Hitting Machine" for his ability to put the ball in play, Kim is a career .318 hitter, ranked third among all active players with at least 3,000 plate appearances, and has a career on-base percentage of .406.

He has a career strikeout rate of only 10.5 percent. Kim is tops among all KBO left fielders in defensive innings played (2,633), putouts (590) and assists (21) over the past three seasons.

This year, Kim set career highs with 28 home runs, 121 RBIs, 103 runs scored and 101 walks. He slashed .326/.438/.541 while playing his typically solid defense in left field and filling in at first base. He only missed three games in the 144-game season, and struck out just 63 times.

Kim, listed at 188 centimeters and 100 kilograms (6-foot-2 and 220 pounds), won the batting title in 2008 with a .357 average, and led the KBO in hits in 2008 and 2009.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Exactly what O's need in LF. They could platoon him with Reimold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad