MLB off-season news & notes thread - Part 2

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm sorry I insulted Quintana by slotting him into the #2 rotation spot should the Pirates trade for him.

I will do my penance by singing "Centerfield" 20 times and reading "Juiced"

It's not insulting to put him behind Cole although GC wasn't great last year. It's just that if Q is going to be your #2 starter it's by default of already having a very good pitcher on the roster. Just as he was behind Sale in Chicago. Q is a #1 pitcher in terms of his play and value.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's not insulting to put him behind Cole although GC wasn't great last year. It's just that if Q is going to be your #2 starter it's by default of already having a very good pitcher on the roster. Just as he was behind Sale in Chicago. Q is a #1 pitcher in terms of his play and value.

I understand where you're coming from. Sorry for getting testy. It's a reflex reaction when discussing Pirates baseball.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Am I missing something or am I the only one who thinks Quintana is better than Cole?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I'm not sure why anyone would take Cole. That's not an affront to Cole in any way either.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I probably take Q as well. My point was that just because the Pirates might choose to slot him in as a #2 doesn't change the fact that he's a #1

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
My sense is that most Pirates fans are fine trading Glasnow because it's a question of getting guaranteed 4 years of what we need most from Quintana, vs the possible waiting game with maybe a slightly longer payoff from Glasnow. He had some control issues in his first brief stint in MLB, but more generally I think there's just a question of if he'll need another partial AAA season and then more of an ease into an MLB rotation, still with some growing pains in 2017, etc., than emerge as a contributor for the stretch run + playoffs.

Quintana would be perfect for the Pirates and is the right kind of bold move that they need to do for their current core. He plays well as a contrast off Cole and Taillon, too. I lean just slightly towards the idea that it'd be better to pay for the Tyson Ross 1-year lottery ticket, but mainly that's because I think the asset necessary to get Quintana are Glasnow, Bell, and a third non-neglible piece, which he's certainly worth but I'm not sure it's in the Pirates best interest. Ross is way more of a gamble, but he gives us even more depth, which is less pressure to rush Glasnow right into the rotation, making it more likely that he really shows up as a slightly post-hype prospect and turns in a great rookie campaign eventually.

If the deal could hover more about Glasnow, Tucker/Hayes, and Diaz, i.e. two quite solid hitting prospects and a blue chip pitching prospect, I'd be much more brazen about it, but that's underselling Quintana just a bit and the White Sox have no reason not to be patient in getting the deal they want. I also imagine they might want Meadows instead of Glasnow, if they really want blue chip hitting talent, but that's a non-starter for the Pirates.

I don't think it gets done unless for some reason the White Sox want to completely sell out to a total rebuild. He's got enough of a term to still be a part of the rebuilding plan or be traded in another year or year and a half, and I would just imagine that Huntington is not going to budge on the 2/5 of Meadows, Glasnow, Keller, Bell, and Newman that it's going to take. My best guess is that if Chicago likes 2 players from the 6-15 range of most Pirates lists, a deal could happen, but I don't see any combination of Glasnow/Keller + 2 of those guys that meets the value for the White Sox. Maybe 2 of Hayes, Tucker, Craig, or Diaz, but it's just too short any way I look at it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wouldn't doubt it. A's usually enter these types of things knowing full well they're just going to be used as leverage. Gives the fans some false hope, too.

Oct 18, 2011
I think Eppler has done a very solid job this off-season. Angels still need some things to break their way to be any good but he hasn't given up any real assets, or doled out any big contracts, the team has improved at 2B and LF, the two major holes, now what they need is for their starting pitchers to be healthy

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think Eppler has done a very solid job this off-season. Angels still need some things to break their way to be any good but he hasn't given up any real assets, or doled out any big contracts, the team has improved at 2B and LF, the two major holes, now what they need is for their starting pitchers to be healthy

I'm glad you're optimistic...

Oct 18, 2011
I'm glad you're optimistic...
some of the early prediction metrics are projecting them to be pretty good, a lot depends on the health of the starting pitching. I really like the fact that not only did the Angels get a potentially good starting LF'er, but also finally got a real 4th OF'er and will no longer be seeing trash like Shane Robinson and the like who have no biz in the majors.

Strong defense up the middle is going to help the pitching alot

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
some of the early prediction metrics are projecting them to be pretty good, a lot depends on the health of the starting pitching. I really like the fact that not only did the Angels get a potentially good starting LF'er, but also finally got a real 4th OF'er and will no longer be seeing trash like Shane Robinson and the like who have no biz in the majors.

Strong defense up the middle is going to help the pitching alot

You shut up about Shane Robinson okay?

Mad Brills*

Watch ben revere in the 2015 alcs if you still think he's a good player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad