MLB off-season news & notes thread - Part 2

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Do Pirates have assets to get it done? Would they be willing to pay the price Sox are asking for?

I hear the name Austin Meadows a lot but didn't he flame out in AAA this past year leading his stock to drop dramatically?

Nope. Still as high as ever.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Do Pirates have assets to get it done? Would they be willing to pay the price Sox are asking for?

I hear the name Austin Meadows a lot but didn't he flame out in AAA this past year leading his stock to drop dramatically?

The Pirates have the assets to trade for Quintana twice over...it's just a question of how wise it would be to move.

As a Pirates fan I'd consider Keller untouchable (I think BA may have been a little overzealous rating him ahead of Glasnow already...but I wouldn't be surprised if Keller is in the discussion for best pitching prospect by the midpoint of the season, Meadows effectively untouchable given the uncertainty of McCutchen's future and the fact that Meadows essentially represents the Pirates entire OF depth outside of the Majors, and Bell is awfully tough to move given how weak the Pirates are organizationally at 1B (trading him means Freese is the everyday starting 1B with the best internal replacement being drafted 6 months ago).

Still, take those 3 off the table (and I don't think Bell is off the table...he'd just require a replacement elsewhere, which makes it harder to deal him) and there's still the pieces to get it done with Glasnow being a top 10 prospect, Newman making his debut on BA's top 100 at the mid-season at #51 and likely moving up a good deal once the pre-season list comes out (I'm stupidly high on this kid), Hayes being a top 75 prospect, guys like Brault and Hanson being Major League-ready, and guys like Tucker, Craig, Yeudy Garcia, Kramer, Moroff, etc. being in that 7-20 range organizationally.

Like Huntington I may be a bit too smitten with a lot of these guys to pull the trigger. This is where I'd be an awful GM...too enamored with my own toys.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The Pirates have the assets to trade for Quintana twice over...it's just a question of how wise it would be to move.

As a Pirates fan I'd consider Keller untouchable (I think BA may have been a little overzealous rating him ahead of Glasnow already...but I wouldn't be surprised if Keller is in the discussion for best pitching prospect by the midpoint of the season, Meadows effectively untouchable given the uncertainty of McCutchen's future and the fact that Meadows essentially represents the Pirates entire OF depth outside of the Majors, and Bell is awfully tough to move given how weak the Pirates are organizationally at 1B (trading him means Freese is the everyday starting 1B with the best internal replacement being drafted 6 months ago).

Still, take those 3 off the table (and I don't think Bell is off the table...he'd just require a replacement elsewhere, which makes it harder to deal him) and there's still the pieces to get it done with Glasnow being a top 10 prospect, Newman making his debut on BA's top 100 at the mid-season at #51 and likely moving up a good deal once the pre-season list comes out (I'm stupidly high on this kid), Hayes being a top 75 prospect, guys like Brault and Hanson being Major League-ready, and guys like Tucker, Craig, Yeudy Garcia, Kramer, Moroff, etc. being in that 7-20 range organizationally.

Like Huntington I may be a bit too smitten with a lot of these guys to pull the trigger. This is where I'd be an awful GM...too enamored with my own toys.

Glasnow isn't a top 10 prospect anymore.

I really don't see how you can get Quintana without including at least two of the three you pulled off the table. You're essentially doing with the Yankees are.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Frankly I'm fine not paying the price. Buyer is not a role I'm used to the Bucs being in :laugh:

I think the point is that Q isn't a buy low candidate in any sense. His value is max right now and he's signed for 4 years super cheap. WS have no reason to trade him for anything less than a high return since time is on their side and they could hold on to Q for another year or two and then still get a great package.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think the point is that Q isn't a buy low candidate in any sense. His value is max right now and he's signed for 4 years super cheap. WS have no reason to trade him for anything less than a high return since time is on their side and they could hold on to Q for another year or two and then still get a great package.

Never thought he was, he's the definition of a buy high - for as great of a pitcher as he is that contract holds nearly as much value as he as a player does, especially to a team like the Pirates.

There's just certain prospects that I don't feel that the Pirates can afford to deal. Meadows represents the entire OF pipeline, and given that I don't expect McCutchen to be around this time next year he's not someone I'd be okay trading. Keller is a rising stud and if he continues to develop the way he has then he's a likely Cole replacement (we all know Cole isn't signing long-term in Pittsburgh, not with Boras as his agent), and Bell is outright the starting 1B. Those three are effectively untouchable in my eyes, and any deal precluded on including them ends in a dead end.

It's not like I'm walling off the entire prospect core, though...that still leaves Glasnow, Newman, Hayes, Brault, Tucker, Craig, et. al. as on the table. If that's not enough to get a deal done for Quintana then the price is just too high for me. The ChiSox don't need to deal him and they're sitting in the position of power and the Pirates have to weigh the pros and cons of making such a move at such a lofty price tag.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Why is Glasnow someone most Pirate fans are pushing out door in Q discussion?

What is wrong with him that you guys are so in rush to get rid of him?

For me, it's the risk/reward. I'd rather have the surefire #2 starter than gamble on Glasnow being that stud #1 with the way the Pirates and their pipeline is currently constructed.

Edit- I'd be upset moving Glasnow, but like Big said you have to give to get.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Who is pushing Glasnow out the door? You have to give something up to get something, and Glasnow is the easiest one to deal given that Quintana would effectively be taking his rotation spot in a best case scenario.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Comments like this on Pirates thread on your board

The only problem with trading Glasnow right now is pegging his value. He's not worth as much as he was this time last year...so does the acquiring team view him as a prospect in decline or still as an elite blue chipper? All depends.
- Your statement

Yeah, I think a lot of it depends on both the asks in addition to Glasnow and the real evaluation of Glasnow in the front office/scouts, where there won't be consensus.

There are more if I go back to yesterday

Why are Pirate fans/organization starting to view Glasnow negatively? Why is he a prospect on decline according to some?

Why should Sox want a prospect on decline? Why would a prospect on decline be a big haul?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
For me, it's the risk/reward. I'd rather have the surefire #2 starter than gamble on Glasnow being that stud #1 with the way the Pirates and their pipeline is currently constructed.

Edit- I'd be upset moving Glasnow, but like Big said you have to give to get.

Quintana is a surefire ace, but whatever.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He isn't worth as much as he was last year, that doesn't mean he's on a rapid decline to irrelevance. He was the consensus #2 pitching prospect in baseball this time last year, and now he's been lapped by someone within the organization (Keller). I don't know exactly how to peg his value because he was a top 5 prospect a few months ago and now he may be closer to the 15-20 range.

Then again you thought Meadows was in full free-fall because of an average first month in AAA.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think the Pirates will have him unseat Cole (until his elbow blows up), but I don't disagree with him being an ace.

An alarmingly large portion of the fan base around Pittsburgh is wondering if it's worth giving up a big haul for a "good 3/4 starter".

These are the same people who would have abandoned the franchise if they traded McCutchen for obvious baseball reasons...two decades of abuse has left the majority of the Pirates fan base distrustful of anything the Pirates do. Throw in a guy who pitches in the AL that we never get to see and people paint the picture they want to.

It's tough being a logical Pirates fan at times.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think the Pirates will have him unseat Cole (until his elbow blows up), but I don't disagree with him being an ace.

An alarmingly large portion of the fan base around Pittsburgh is wondering if it's worth giving up a big haul for a "good 3/4 starter".

Sometimes teams have more than one "ace". Dodgers had Kershaw/Greinke. Just because Kershaw isn't human doesn't mean that Greinke was ace caliber. The Braves had a bazillion aces back in the 90's. Boston just ponied up big to get another ace. Like just because Pirates have Cole and consider him their ace, doesn't really change anything in regards to Q's value. If the Bucs won't pay the price, someone else will or the WS will keep him for now.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm sorry I insulted Quintana by slotting him into the #2 rotation spot should the Pirates trade for him.

I will do my penance by singing "Centerfield" 20 times and reading "Juiced"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad