MLB off-season news & notes thread - Part 2

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not sure where to post this or if it's thread worthy but a bill was proposed to have concealed weapons permitted at Safeco Field. Are they ****ing nuts? So all the metal detectors I have to go through are good for what then?

Good on the MLB for standing their ground. What a ridiculous bill.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
While it's not a great idea and one I wouldn't support, but it's not a ridiculous bill. There are legitimate arguments to be made on each side. No need to get into that here though.

On the baseball side of it, MLB would have the power to enforce their own restrictions on that, they are a private business, so even if a government deems it legal, they can just restrict it and it wouldn't matter.

[MOD]

Would be unfortunate if if gets passed because it would end my annual summer trips to Safeco.

Last edited by a moderator:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't like it either, but the reason why there are reasonable points on the other side is that I hope the discussion leads to an end of sports venue funds coming from the public. If an owner of a sports team wants a new stadium, then they should fund it themselves, not by using the tax payers. It is a massive rip of the tax payers and the benefits of the team does not come closing to balancing it. It is an emotional motivation that causes the public to lose the battle. This is an area where I would wish both political sides would come together because they should agree on it.

Should the bill pass? Of course not. Should that bill lead to a bigger conversation, yes, unfortunately, it won't.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. These two things relate in no way. I don't get it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Phillies had one of their worst offensive seasons, and havent really upgraded their lineup. Going to be another stellar season at the plate for them.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Excellent news. Probably means MK will trade him now for a big haul now in a few years as he is signed through age 31 for very cheap.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Or keep him because he's their only real CF right now. Unless you believe in Roman Quinn's pre-2016 profile.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Or keep him because he's their only real CF right now. Unless you believe in Roman Quinn's pre-2016 profile.

He needs to stay on the field. If Quinn can do that they'll have to fugure what to do with their outfield. There was rumblings that they wanted to trade Odubel, which would have been dumb given Quinn's being unknown.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I could see them moving Herrera based on what he'd return in this market. If the market is still hot, he could get more than Eaton. Now some of the bidders would be out now, but Herrera would get a haul.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Deleon looks great but Dozier is a stud in his prime signed to a cheap ass contract. Turner - Seager -Dozier - Gonzalez - Grandal is a pretty dope IF even if Adrian did take a step back last year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
There’s “rampant†speculation across the industry that free agent catcher Matt Wieters will sign with the Nationals, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney (Insider required and recommended). The Nationals traded for ex-Padres starting catcher Derek Norris earlier this month, but Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com then noted that they could sign Wieters and flip Norris elsewhere. Of course, it’s worth pointing out that Wieters’ agent, Scott Boras, is close with Nats owner Ted Lerner and president/general manager Mike Rizzo. The 30-year-old Wieters has spent his entire career in nearby Baltimore, but it may have replaced him Friday with the signing of Welington Castillo.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/tradefa-rumblings-wieters-nats-mets-rays-braun-ee-tribe.html

say what now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad