MLB off-season news & notes thread - Part 2

Mad Brills*

So I'd imagine the gates will open once edwin signs somewhere?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Trumbo is really the only other guy who is going to get a decent contract, and who knows if thats going to even happen at this point.

Wieters is still out there too but he is supposed to sign with the nats according to Olney

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Daniel Hudson to Pittsburgh, 2/11M. I would have loved for the Blue Jays to sign him, good pick up for the Pirates.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Could someone explain why the Yankees made zero attempt at trading for Chris Sale but are now 'very interested' in Jose Quintana?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Panic move maybe?

BS rumor more likely

The only thing I can think of is there's heat on Cashman now that the Sox traded for Sale and have him for three more years, so they have to answer. But the new-age Steinbrenners have largely stayed out of his hair to this point so I don't know how plausible that is.

It's just odd otherwise, maybe a nonsense rumor like you said but didn't Cashman even say that trading for Sale is a final piece move and we're not there yet? What would make Quintana different?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The only thing I can think of is there's heat on Cashman now that the Sox traded for Sale and have him for three more years, so they have to answer. But the new-age Steinbrenners have largely stayed out of his hair to this point so I don't know how plausible that is.

It's just odd otherwise, maybe a nonsense rumor like you said but didn't Cashman even say that trading for Sale is a final piece move and we're not there yet? What would make Quintana different?

Quintana isn't Sale. And I love Quintana.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What package would be fair value for Quintana? Yankees have the best farm in baseball.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What package would be fair value for Quintana? Yankees have the best farm in baseball.

Fair value ain't gonna do it. Market is thin so It will take an overpay or the WS will hold on to him. He's got 4 years of team control left. No need to trade him otherwise. But if you're just talking theoretical value then that is different.

Mad Brills*

Granderson/bruce being targets for the jays.

Wonder if the jays send pompey in a deal back that includes a RP coming back as well.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Granderson/bruce being targets for the jays.

Wonder if the jays send pompey in a deal back that includes a RP coming back as well.

I would think the Mets would be interested adding another RP. Familia will no doubt be suspended for a month or so and they were rumored to be wanting to add another bullpen arm even prior to that.

Elvis P

Got brass ... in pocket
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1. San Diego Padres

The Padres have put together the best long-term rebuilding program of all of the teams. Their philosophy is all based on high-ceiling players from the draft, international signings and trades. They don't care about how close a player is to the majors, they just want impact players. They're OK with the reality that they might hit on only one of five players, but when they do hit they’re looking for All-Star-caliber, difference-making players. Every trade they’ve made has been about getting the best prospect, not about the level of risk or distance to the big leagues.
http://www.espn.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=13589

Are the Padres doing the best job of rebuilding?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Do Pirates have assets to get it done? Would they be willing to pay the price Sox are asking for?

I hear the name Austin Meadows a lot but didn't he flame out in AAA this past year leading his stock to drop dramatically?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Makes sense

Profar hasn't done anything to establish himself at this point and only had 3 years of club control ,, So naturally the Sox would be asking for more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad